PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when you allow Citizenship Polygamy

Buckrub
11-21-2014, 09:42 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/no-tax-please-i%E2%80%99m-british-london-mayor-tells-us-tax-agency/ar-BBf11Dd

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2014, 10:04 AM
The article is a little misleading as you do get a credit for any foreign taxes paid on your Non-US source income. However, US citizens are taxed on their world wide income. If you don't like it, there's the door. You can and should renounce your citizenship.

Buckrub
11-21-2014, 10:11 AM
My point.

But this guy took the door. Went through it.

So he thinks he's gone. But wants the benefits of being a citizen here too.

I never understood dual citizenship. Like dual marriage, to me.

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2014, 10:14 AM
I always thought the US didn't recognize dual citizenship. That once you got a passport from another country, you had to turn in your US. I'm not curious enough to look it up though.

Buckrub
11-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Dual Citizenship in the United States

Dual citizenship had previously been banned in the United States, but in 1967 the US Supreme Court struck down most laws forbidding dual citizenship.

However, the US government remained disdainful of dual citizenship for some time. To this day, candidates for US citizenship through naturalization are forced to renounce their previous citizenship at the United States naturalization ceremony.

The renouncing of one’s previous citizenship is part of the oath that new US citizens must take, and failing to honor that oath could result in the loss of citizenship in the United States.

Some cases that have been brought before the Department of State in the past involve people who became naturalized US citizens but maintained a residency and life in their country of previous citizenship.

While most countries recognize the Oath of Allegiance in the United States to be a binding contract regarding one’s citizenship, other countries have stated that the oath has no effect on their own citizenship laws. The US government used to aggressively pursue these cases to get the dual citizens to renounce their citizenship, but this is no longer the case.

Additionally, young children who naturalize in the United States along with their parents didn’t take the Oath of Allegiance — even though their parents did — and can technically still hold on to their previous citizenship.

People who have held dual citizenship since birth or childhood — or who became citizens of another country after becoming a US citizen and were not asked to renounce their previous citizenship — can remain dual citizens in the United States.

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2014, 10:22 AM
I guess I'm old school.

DeputyDog
11-21-2014, 12:02 PM
I don't know much about dual citizenship, other than, a friend of mine was born in Nicaragua to a Nicaraguan father and a mother from Colombia. They emigrated to the US in the late 60's and became US citizens. Her mother inherited property on the island of San Andres which is part of Colombia. However my friend is considering obtaining dual citizenship for the sole purpose of being able to inherit the land from her mother. Colombian law states that non-citizens are not allowed to own property in Colombia.

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
I am guessing this is some big problem for us?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Well, yes. It is a problem if a US citizen fails to pay the taxes he owes.

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Kind of like Ted Cruz then?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Exactly. Nobody gets a pass because freedom isn't free.

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2014, 01:43 PM
I sense that you all are being discriminatory against Canadians. Enough of this persecution!

BKB

johnboy
11-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Eeh? I don't feel discriminated against. Should I? Actually, I don't believe in dual citizenship. Pick one, fer Petes sake! How can you be "loyal" to two countries? We saw a huge jump in this after the crisis in Lebanon many years ago and after the mainland Chinese took over Hong Kong a few years later. These people have little or no loyalty to Canada but need a 'citizenship of convenience' in the eventuality that something goes bad back 'home'.

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Well okay then. I don't suppose you'd be interested in taking Ted Cruz and Justin Beiber back would you?

Please?

BKB

johnboy
11-21-2014, 02:42 PM
NO and HELL NO! :D

Thumper
11-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Well, it doesn't really fit into the point of this argument, but just to add a bit of education to the mix, my first wife (Thai) basically had dual citizenship. You cannot take citizenship away from a Thai as if they are born there, they are ALWAYS Thai. She became a citizen here but if she ever goes back to Thailand, she is treated as a citizen there.

The Thais have a saying: "Once a Thai, always a Thai".

Captain
11-21-2014, 04:37 PM
They have another one too. Once a pUMpHEAD always a pUMpHEAD!
😉

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Well, it doesn't really fit into the point of this argument, but just to add a bit of education to the mix, my first wife (Thai) basically had dual citizenship. You cannot take citizenship away from a Thai as if they are born there, they are ALWAYS Thai. She became a citizen here but if she ever goes back to Thailand, she is treated as a citizen there.

The Thais have a saying: "Once a Thai, always a Thai".

My wife's people have a saying too it seems. "Once a king, always a king, but once a night is enough."

BKB

Thumper
11-21-2014, 05:19 PM
They have another one too. Once a pUMpHEAD always a pUMpHEAD!
��

Once you bite me, you can bite me again! ;)

Captain
11-21-2014, 05:22 PM
See...😵