PDA

View Full Version : Hey Thump

Bwana
11-21-2014, 06:35 PM
We started down this road before but with VERY little to go on, but here is the deal: My father-in-law is trying to find a gent he met while in Vietnam whom they called "Mac." Though I don't have much more information, I do have a photo of the gent and I also have my f-i-l's discharge papers though I'm really not sure I understand everything on them. Will they note where he was stationed at over there? Or is there any other information on them that would be useful for this search?

Thumper
11-21-2014, 06:58 PM
I guess since he's trying to find someone he served with in 'Nam, the separation papers should have enough for a starting point as they will note his rank and last duty assignment. It has a bunch of other info, but I'd assume his last duty assignment would mention where they were stationed in 'Nam. There are numerous sites on the net where you can leave messages (like bulletin boards) with info on whom you're trying to contact and to leave your (his) contact information. I was in Intel, so the site I use would most likely be of little or no help, but there are various sites dedicated to helping locate old buddies you served with.

I'm not familiar with what's out there because my unit was relatively small (comparatively), but here's an example of the tools that are available. Of course, the more info you have on him, the better. (there are probably dozens of similar sites)

https://www.vetfriends.com/search.cfm

Ask ANY questions you may have ... I'd love to help in any way I can.

DeputyDog
11-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Bwana, just about every unit has a website now. Start by searching for his unit while in country. That might give you a good starting point.

Thumper
12-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Dang dude! I forgot all about this! Between being out of town and buried to my eyeballs in estate sale stuff lately, I haven't had but a few spare minutes to even check in here. I'll start digging around once the craziness slows down a bit.