PDA

View Full Version : It was a GOOD weekend

Bwana
11-24-2014, 10:25 AM
After another busy weekend the missus and I spent a delightful Friday night with some friends of ours shooting the breeze and eating goodies at a neat local eatery.

Saturday morning the youngest boy and I decided to go pheasant hunting so the boy invited his best friend who had never hunted pheasants before. Did my best to get him his first bird but it was not to be. He shot at somewhere between 6 to 8 birds but just couldn't get anything to fall. My son and I accounted for 3 roosters before calling it a day. The newbie was shown how to clean the birds, proceeded to finish the last two, and then was given all three to take home to Mom and Dad for proper eating.

Sunday was an early morning as I went on a late season Canada Goose hunt with the same friends we spent Friday evening with. It has been quite some time since I've gotten out goose hunting so both the calling and shooting were a bit lacking. In spite of the "rusty parts" and the CRAZY strong wind that kept blowing decoys over or away, we managed to kill 6 honkers and shoot at a few more that lived to see another decoy spread. Got home, emptied out the pickup, cleaned the birds (forgot how attached a goose is to it's skin), and smoked up a batch of deer jerky from the deer my son shot last weekend.

This coming weekend the plan is to try and fill some turkey tags & maybe shoot another pheasant or two. Sure which fall wasn't so short as there is so much to do and so little time to do it!

Arty
11-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Jealous!

You're getting worse than Cappy!
When do you find time to work?!?

Buckrub
11-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Paradise.

HideHunter
11-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Very nice!

Chicken Dinner
11-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Man, I miss bird hunting. That sounds awesome!

Big Muddy
11-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Man, I can't wait for our duck season to open on T'giving Day....we've had three big polar pushes, so far, and the ducks are piling in here....and, they did not leave, even after it warmed up....neighbors have 80 acres of flooded standing corn, and right next to it is my 50 acres of flooded millet and milo....so far, I've seen nothing but big fat green heads.....saw the first BIG flights of Canadas and Specks, flying south over the weekend....I think it's gonna be a good 'un, this year.

Thumper
11-24-2014, 04:43 PM
I used to love pheasant hunting over dogs. I'd always hit it just before the deer season opener. It's been a long time. :(

Buckrub
11-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Man, I can't wait for our duck season to open on T'giving Day....we've had three big polar pushes, so far, and the ducks are piling in here....and, they did not leave, even after it warmed up....neighbors have 80 acres of flooded standing corn, and right next to it is my 50 acres of flooded millet and milo....so far, I've seen nothing but big fat green heads.....saw the first BIG flights of Canadas and Specks, flying south over the weekend....I think it's gonna be a good 'un, this year.

Flying liver season, the first one, has been open a week here.

Man, I miss talking to em.

DeputyDog
11-24-2014, 09:21 PM
I saw a big flock of snow geese the other day. They are probably already down to you Edward. I'd really like to get into them once, but every time I see them, they are gone the next day. They sure don't hang around here like the Canada's do.

Captain
11-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Cool picture and good trip report.
Congrats on a great hunt.

Captain
11-24-2014, 10:23 PM
I saw a big flock of snow geese the other day. They are probably already down to you Edward. I'd really like to get into them once, but every time I see them, they are gone the next day. They sure don't hang around here like the Canada's do.
I know where they go...
The coast of NC. I really don't even know if there's a limit on them out there. When we go out swan hunting the farmers BEG us to shoot all we can...
We bust em too....

DeputyDog
11-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Our limit is 15 a day here, but I've never shot any. Every time I see some, it's usually in the afternoon and they are already in the field, but they are always gone the next morning.

Bwana
11-25-2014, 10:09 AM
You just need to put the sneak on them DD, either that or get under the flyway where the new birds are coming into the field and pass shoot them.

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2014, 10:16 AM
I just had to go look up our season. For the regular waterfowl season, the limit is 25/day with no possession limit. During the special "Conservation Order Season" in the eastern part of the state that runs through the beginning of April, there's no daily or possession limit. The problem is they travel in such huge flocks you're not going to get more than a few in a day unless you're sniping them with a .22.:rockets