PDA

View Full Version : A HUGE "thank-you" is in order here ...

Thumper
11-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Lynn's running a bit late, so here I sit. We should have plenty of time to get to the airport anyway, so no biggie I guess. But ... as I was sitting here waiting, something popped into my head ... and since I'm not sure I'll be back on the site for the next week, I need to say something.

Tomorrow will be the 5th anniversary for my (initial) surgery. I was first operated on the day before Thanksgiving 2009. On Thanksgiving Day, I was experiencing all sorts of complications (bleeding internally) and they started making plans to "go back in". They opened me up again on the day after Thanksgiving 2009. After that, it was touch & go as I started experiencing every problem under the sun. I spent two months in ICU with elebenty-sebenteen bazillion tubes and wires on me, in me and through me. I was probably stuck by a gazillion needles, IV's and who knows what else? Two months peeing through a tube is bad enough, but having a catheter changed regularly WHILE YOU'RE AWAKE ain't the most pleasant experience in the world. I've also been awake through the torture of having a feeding tube removed and replaced. Of experiencing a tracheotomy and having a frigging "rifle cleaning kit" run through periodically to clear it so I could breathe. It's endless ... but the body is a remarkable thing and has a way of fixing itself over time.

Anyway, I now know what it's like to be dead (experienced it 7 times) ... but it was NOTHING like I expected ... or was hoping. I was "kinda" hoping I'd "see the light" or have an out of body experience or sumpin' ... but nooooo ... just go to "sleep" and eventually "wake up" to see hospital personnel scrambling like ants! The only thing earth-shattering was the terrible (worse I've ever had in my LIFE) nightmares when coming out of my coma. I wouldn't wish that on ANYBODY and prolly would'a done some major damage to myself or others IF they hadn't had me tied to the bed with my hands strapped to the railings.

But, the constant ray of light that was ALWAYS there through all of that was the messages, cards and gifts that came from this place ... from youse worthless dufes. ;)

You have no clue how much that helped me helped me through the worst period of my life (so far). Sitting here thinking about that time makes me appreciate this site, the friendships developed and the closeness this group has with one another.

Ok, before this turns in to a "Thump post" .. this "anniversary" just begs for a big THANK YOU from me to you.

Enough of this mushiness ... now it's time for all o'youse to line up, get on a tall stool and BITE ME! :D

Have a great Turkey Day! I'll see you buttheads in a week.

Captain
11-25-2014, 08:14 AM
We was just all jockeying for position to see who was gonna get what of all your cool toys and guns. :-)

We were actually worried about you and it was a time that was "not right" around the site too.
We would call and put updates on the site and then call each other. It was actually one of the few times in my life that I could actually get Posthole on the phone. So you see there was more than one miracle came out of all that...

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2014, 09:40 AM
I remember as clear as yesterday sitting in Church at Christmas Eve service and thinking how I couldn't believe it was your time. Since that time I think we've lost both Mauserman and TW (Whiskeyjack). I'm sure thankful that you're still around to keep things interesting.

Bwana
11-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Not sure how this group of misfits all came to be in the same place on this big ol' web but there is something special about this group and I think we are all better and more informed because of it. I too am glad you are around Thumper and can't wait to hear what stories you have yet to tell us.

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I wonder if there was some confusion when old Grim Reaper looked you up in his book and said 'Who the hell is Thumper? I'm here for Kribbs'.

That might've saved your life Jim.

You worried us all and I'm awful glad you're one of my friends and I'm really glad you pulled through it live to fight another day. I was hoping you were gonna tell us that Cindy Crawford was there beckoning you to walk towards the light but I guess that's not the way it works!

How did you, uh.......deal with morning wood with that catheter in there?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Oooofda!

Big Skyz
11-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Glad you are still around Jim.

jb
11-25-2014, 10:56 AM
I think the true Hero (or Heroine) through this was Lynn and all that she put up with worrying and caring for your sorry ass. She's the one you need to thank, not us dumb-f*****s.

Buckrub
11-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, dimwit. :wave

LJ3
11-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Dufus... Sappy old dufus.