PDA

View Full Version : Question for JB

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Or, any if you left handers. In thinking about getting my boys a shotgun for Christmas. I'm thinking about a 20 gauge pump - probably a Remington 870. While they're both left handed, one is right eye dominant. I'm wondering if a left handed shotgun, or even a bottom ejector is important. Any thoughts?

Captain
11-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Ithaca model 37.
But be careful. If you hold the trigger back and slam the slide forward it will fire.

DeputyDog
11-29-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm a lefty too when it comes to shooting. I have a couple Browning BPS which have the tang safety and bottom eject and like it. The 870 I have is a standard right hand and it doesn't make me any difference. I've tried a LH 870, and it was a bit confusing to me with the safety. It was probably because I've shot a RH version most of my life. I'd say with a shotgun it really doesn't matter.

As for the lefty that is right eye dominate, teach him to shoot right handed it will be a lot easier for him. I am left eye dominate and write, shoot and eat LH, but all other sports I do RH.

There are a couple of righty's on my department who are left eye dominate, and they shoot much better left handed.

Buckrub
11-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Teach him to be ambivalent. :)

Niner
11-29-2014, 02:16 PM
CD, I am a lefty in everythng that I do EXCEPT for being Right Eye Dominant. I also have much better corrected vision with my right eye. I CAN shoot either-handed, but am much more comfortable and shoot better Right-Handed.

All that being said, the lads need to shoot with whichever side is their dominant eye.
My suggestion would be either the Ithica 37, or the Browning BPS....I think those are the only two on the market with the bottom eject......that way it could be used by either the Lefty or the Righty.

http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.html

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=011B

Arty
11-29-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm a lefty, shoot lefty and have several right handed pump guns. For me - the side ejection is not a big deal at all.

jb
11-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Browning BPS is the way to go, offered in different gauges, youth models, wood or synthetic. Close copy to the Ithaca, I have one, #3 has one. Great gun, decent price.
It's truly an ambi shotgun, anyone can use it.
Don't like the 870 because of the location of the safety, hard to find when a bird flushes, the tang safety on the Browning is perfect.

BarryBobPosthole
11-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Browning BPS!

I am left eye dominant but shoot naturally right handed. I blame my poor wing shooting skills on it. With practice, I am an acceptable shot but I dang sure wish I'd learned to shoot left handed.

BKB

Buckrub
11-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Browning BPS!

I am left eye dominant but shoot naturally right handed. I blame my poor wing shooting skills on it. With practice, I am an acceptable shot but I dang sure wish I'd learned to shoot left handed.

BKB

Somehow, certain things just became clearer.

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Wow, lots of good advice here. I'll check out the BPS. Thanks.

I did know about the Ithacas and their safety issue as I almost had my heD taken off in a duck blind by my best friend. He took an off balanced shot and sat down to avoid falling over. When he sat down, he missed the bucket as he was racking his slide. When that bad boy discharged, I think it took a couple of years off of both of our lives.

Bwana
11-29-2014, 07:16 PM
FWIW, I have helped coach our youth trap team for the past 7 years plus helped some adults learn to shoot and as others have said, if at all possible teach the kids to shoot with the same hand as their dominant eye. Have had several do so & pretty much to the person they shoot better then those who are shooting opposite their dominant eye.

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm definitely going that way. My youngest has always been a bit if a conundrum. So, I'm not surprised he'd be left handed and right eye dominant. I tried all the traditional ways of checking for eye dominance and the results were always inconsistent. So, I had him shooting left handed and he was normally all over the place from an accuracy standpoint. So, one day I had him try right handed just for grins and he was a dead-eye dick. Luckily, he's much more ambidextrous than my older son who may as well not even have a right hand.