PDA

View Full Version : Teeeriffic Turkey.............

Niner
11-30-2014, 07:11 AM
The fambly had the "Big Doooin's" over at my Mom's house on Thanksgiving day.
Since my daughter was in town, we'd decided that we'd do a "mini T-day" dinner on Friday at my house.

I called up the Kroger deli, and ordered one of their pre-cooked turkeys. Since it was gonna just be the three of us, I got one of the smaller ones in the 10-to-12# range. There ain't much to "fixing" one of these birds....just basically warming it up to 145°F.

So, I came up with the bright idea of doing it on the Big Green Egg. I took it out of its packaging and put it in one of those aluminum foil roasting pans. I had to bend it 10 ways to Sunday to get it to fit on my Medium BGE, but I got it to fit. I loaded up the BGE with charcoals, and a bunch of Apple Wood Chips. Set the temp on the thing to ~300°F. Loaded up the bird and stuck me digital thermometer in the breast. Put a little bit of water into the pan. THEN.....left it the heck alone for about about 3 hours.

When the temp got up to 147°, I pulled it off of the egg, brought it into the house, tented it with foil and stuck it in the oven to rest until the shoppers got home from the Black Friday sales.

Turned out to be the best doggone turkey that any of us had EVER had. I gots NO idea what the Kroger does to their pre-cooked turkeys when they fix them. I dunno if they brine them or what, but now I am inspired to do one "from scratch" for Christmas time.
:party:thumbsupnotworthy:smileinbox:fine:rockon:cl ap