PDA

View Full Version : Rifle season is over

jb
11-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Today was the last day, didn't go out, windy, warm and rain.
I hunted more this year than I have in the past 10 years, one full day, three mornings and one afternoon. All of them with #3 (with out him it would have been opening day only)
Between us we had 5 tags, he never shot, I missed two, both does, one was to far, the other to close, we have a week of ML but I think I'm going to pass.
I really enjoy the woods, the snow and even the cold weather but I find it's getting to be hard on the old body.
My stand is about 1/2 mile from where we park, have to walk over some uneven ground, down trees and through some brush. I"ve learned to go slow as not to work up a great sweat but it's still hard to do.
I'm OK till I get home, then I have to take a couple of Tylenol and ice down my legs or I'll get terrible leg cramps, I've had this problem for maybe 20 years but for the last 5 it's gotten worse.
I find if I drink about 2 qt's of Gatoraid it helps, but won't solve the problem, I also take a potassium pill but it's a problem I've learned to live with, but it affects me for about 2 or 3 days and it drives me nuts.
After opening day the next morning I was sure that was going to be the last day I ever hunted I hurt so much, but I worked through it and went out 4 more times with about the same results.
If I continue to hunt it may require a 4 wheeler, a stand closer to the truck, or just hunt from the truck like BigSky.:hello
So in 30 days I turn 70, been hunting now for 54 years, maybe it's time.

Bwana
11-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Suppose there does come a time but I'm thinking you just need to find a place you can either just sit in the pickup overlooking an area or go the atv- to-your-stand route. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself though.

Big Skyz
11-30-2014, 11:52 PM
That warm pick up looks better every year doesn't it? I forgot to hunt out of mine this year. There is always next year. :)

Captain
12-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Get you an electric golf cart. They even have them in 4 wheel drive if you need that?
I do understand about the getting older thing. The older I get the more comfort I like. I hope to be able to hunt for many years myself, but you have to deal with life in there too!
You are one tough dude!

Buckrub
12-01-2014, 07:44 AM
2 weeks?

Do y'all just not have any deer?

Buckrub
12-01-2014, 07:46 AM
I got a lot of that too. It hurts and makes me mad.

With 50 days to hunt, I pick the best ones sometimes. I doubt I ever give it up. You'd enjoy the way we do it. Drive on down. 2 weeks left.