PDA

View Full Version : Needed a new hunting rig

treyball20
12-02-2014, 03:09 PM
After last hunting season I realized that I need a bigger hunting rig. I was unable to fit my family in my 79 f-150, so after owning it for 15 years I sold it in the spring, I almost cried watching it drive away had so much time and money in it. Anyway I knew I need a Suburban so this is what I came up with after searching for a few months. My boys call it "Clifford" and love to ride in it. I am 6'2" to give you an idea on the size.

Chicken Dinner
12-02-2014, 03:18 PM
I think it needs a lift kit.:rockon

Big Skyz
12-02-2014, 03:45 PM
I like your style! However I got to say that when I was down there hunting with you I don't think I've ever been in an area with so many jacked up four wheel drives, with oversized tires. Some tire company down there must make a killing!

Captain
12-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Nice ride! Congrats.
I bet them youngin's like riding around in Clifford...
And the hat is on time too! ;)

Buckrub
12-02-2014, 05:51 PM
That little one by ain't gonna keep that beast from Rollin back-urds, dude.

jb
12-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Nice ride, had two Suburbans as the family grew, no lift kits, but they were great for family trips and hauling around our boat.
Now I drive the Ford version and still enjoy the size and comfort.
Those kids of yours will be the envy of their friends when dad picks them up from school

Arty
12-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Stomper!

Thumper
12-03-2014, 06:32 AM
I've had three of 'em just like that! No clue what year your's is as they looked alike from the side for about a bazillion years ... but I had a '77, a '78 and an '83 (I think). All had 4WD and got about -2 mpg! ;)

I never had one for daily transportation as I'd have had to own a gas station, but they were the coolest huntin' vehicles I ever had out of THREE Suburbans, a Bronco, a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, a Jeep Cherokee, a Toyota 4-Runner and a Toyota pick-up. I think I've remembered 'em all .... they all had 4WD. As I said, out of all those, my "beast" Suburban's were my favorites as I could cram in a whole hunting party plus gear. Mine all had racks on top.

I bought one from Archer's sister/BIL in Texas (flew out, bought it and drove it home) that had a custom rack on top that would hold about 10 frigging people (if you wanted a pile of people on your roof for some reason)! That thing was a beast.

Anyway, cool truck. Hope you enjoy it.

Niner
12-03-2014, 08:23 AM
COOL hunting truck, treyball.
I always thought that those old 'Burbs looked like they'd make an outstanding hunting truck. They are the same wheelbase as a longbed pickup. I always thought it'd be cool to rig one up with a bedroll or cot in the back and then you could just sleep inside the truck at deer camp.

Big Skyz
12-03-2014, 10:57 AM
So Treyball20 what additional plans to you have for your rig? Are you going to add winches front and back, or a heavy duty bumper/brush guard. Any additional lights or engine/axle/or gear ratio modifications planned? For those of you that don't know Treyball20 and his brother are pretty much gear-heads when it comes to their four wheel drives and they do some pretty cool stuff. I saw the Ford he sold and it was impressive as a flat out BEAST hunting truck!

BarryBobPosthole
12-03-2014, 11:22 AM
My grandson would go nuts for that truck. He loves 'monster trucks', which is any truck he sees with a lift kit.

Congrats on the new hoopie!
BKB

treyball20
12-03-2014, 11:49 AM
We do have a few plans for the suburban. The only things we did do to it after we got it was put new tires on it and Joe built a game rack for the back. We need to put a winch on it which will be a next summer project. We also NEED to put a different transfer case in it right now it has the NP208 and will not stay in 4H, so we DO have a 205 to put into it, we did that in our other suburban. Once we put that in we have to rebuild the drive lines as both will be different lengths. The motor is in pretty good shape and is already fuel injected. It already has a manual in it. So the winch, need to modify the front bumper, and transfer case are the two big projects that we will tackle during the summer. Last summer we worked on the white suburban putting a Dana 60 in the front end of it.