PDA

View Full Version : Told ya'll, I been busy.....

Big Muddy
12-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Well, actually Sandy and I have been busy....what started out as an easy morning squirrel hunt turned into a day'um marathon....deer hunted til about 10am, and let a few dink bucks walk by, then returned home, and loaded up Sandy.
Hunted a 40 acre block of timber that I haven't hunted since last year....she struck immediately, and I killed the first squirrel....10 minutes later, Sandy treed again, and bam, killed the second squirrel.

However, she would not leave that same tree, so I let her do her thing....45 minutes later, and she was still hammering the same tree....there was a small hole near the base of the tree, so I lit a small smokey fire in it....about 30 minutes later, Mr. Coon couldn't stand the smoke any longer, and popped his head out the treetop....he finally climbed outta the hole for a clear head shot....bam, but only grazed his skull....he went beserk, so I put another shot right in his heart....that only pissed off that big azz boar coon....he tried to go back down in the smokey hole, so I unloaded on his azz.

It took four more quick shots, but that did him in, and down he came, from about 60 feet high in the huge red oak....Sandy watched him fall, and was standing there, waiting for him to hit the ground....he dang near hit her, and as big as he was(23 pounds), she prolly woulda got badly hurt....I usually leash her to a tree, away from the action, for that very reason, but in the heat of the action, I totally forgot....that coulda been a bad oversight on my part.

Anyway, we continued the hunt, and she treed two more squirrels....head shot, and the little bastage hung up in a tree fork, as he was falling....hawks gotta eat, too.

The last squirrel was a tree top timber runner....that little bastage coulda out-scrambled Joe Willie Namath....I don't think I coulda hit him with a 10 gauge duck gun, but I unloaded the Ruger 22 magazine at him, anyway....we chased that day'um squirrel for a day'um hour, all over those woods.

So, mine and Sandy's leisurely morning squirrel hunt lasted 5 hours, and I was too tired to even deer hunt, this afternoon....we took a nap, instead. ;)

HideHunter
12-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Congrats to you and Sandy.. That's a big coon for you southern folks. I've weighed two this year I thought were exceptional and both weighed 26. My personal best is 33#. Fell out of a cottonwood about 60-70 foot and hit the ground like a sack of dri-crete. Buddy was about two hundred yards away and hollered, "What the hell do you shoot - a bear?" ;) and on a somber note I know a of a real nice Plott that was killed by a falling bear and a Grand Nite female walker that was killed by a falling coon. It happens.

Big Muddy
12-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Hide....she's the light of my hunting life, and a joy to hunt with.
I fed her real good, and she is plum tuckered out, tonite....me, too !!! ;)

Captain
12-04-2014, 09:56 PM
That sounds like a heck of a day!
I was very late getting to my stand this afternoon but did manage to take a cull screwed up 6 point that needed killing this afternoon.
I bet Sandy has good dreams tonight re-treeing all them squirrels. :-)

Big Muddy
12-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Bro., you be a dang killing machine !!! ;)