PDA

View Full Version : Cool Sighting

BarryBobPosthole
12-05-2014, 05:27 PM
I had to run out for a little bit this afternoon and when I got back home as I was pulling into the driveway, I saw one of the Cooper's Hawks that hangs around my house swoop down like a bullet on a cotton rat that had I guess ran out of one of my flower beds. He was only about 20 feet away. Cotton rats, or common field rats as they're sometimes called, come and go around here and this year they've had an especially good year. They've been hanging out in my garden eating seeds out the last of the tomatoes. The dumbass neighbor's cat couldn't catch one to save his life the stupid bastard, but my dogs will dispatch one every once in a while. I'm thankful the hawk is doing what he does best. He flew off with him when I stepped out of the truck.

BKB

LJ3
12-05-2014, 05:36 PM
There's no need to besmirch cats in your curmudgeonly rant!

That would be cool to see. I love me some raptors.

Niner
12-05-2014, 05:51 PM
One of the coolest things that I've seen in a long time was when a red-tailed hawk swooped through the backyard and snatched up a grey squirrel by the tail and flew off with him swinging in his talons.

Thumper
12-05-2014, 08:45 PM
I love watching those birds do their thing. The neatest experience I ever had personally was while fishing in Northern Ontario and watching a Bald Eagle swoop down, grab a fish out of the lake and fly off with it ... and it all happened within about 50 feet of me.

Big Skyz
12-06-2014, 12:41 AM
First off I liked the besmirching. So please continue to besmirch those worthless fur covered walking attitudes all you want...and then some. I liked the raptor story even better. Also made me appreciate the fact we don't have rats around here except the occasional pack rat out in the country, but not in town.

Niner
12-06-2014, 09:52 AM
I KNOW you are not gonna want to hear this BigSky, but those "buzzworms" y'all have out there eat a lot of rodents.

However, that said, IF I lived out there I'd carry a handgun with me whenever I went afield.....and I'd shoot (or at least shoot AT) every rattler I came across. I don't mind non-poisonous snakes, but the poisonous ones give me the heeby-jeebies. Some of your stories of Close Encounters Of The Snakey Kind, cause the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.

:hair :hair :hair :hair :hair

Big Skyz
12-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Speaking of which I'm planning on buying a S+W 686 in the very near future (before next spring) just for that purpose. I can't begin to tell you how much I dislike those things. On a side note I went coyote hunting last night along that creek I took you fishing on. I got two nice coyotes. :)

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2014, 01:14 PM
I was shad fishing at Little Falls (the tide line for the Potomac) one spring and had An osprey swoop down and grab an American shad I was fighting and try to fly off with it. We tussled back and forth for a few seconds before he thought better of it and flew off. You should have seen the look he have me when I releases that fish - talon marks an all.

Niner
12-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Good choice for a revolver there BS!
If you wanted, you could load "shake shot" in at least the first chamber of that joker. Of course, if you're a good shot with a handgun, you can load whatervertheheck you like. :pistols I've put holes in more than one snake in my time.

Maybe you got that 'yote that Di spotted that was "stalking" us whist we was fishing. By the by....I STILL find myself looking at those pics we took out there, and daydreaming about catching those monster browns in the Mizzou River.

Big Muddy
12-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Sky, I know you well enough to know you've researched the SW686, but for snakes and 1/2 the cost, you can buy a Taurus Judge, which will shoot both the .410 and .45....you will not find a better "snake pistol"....all you gotta do is "shoot amongst" a snake with the .410 to get a kill....and, the .45 capability is there, if you need it....I think Cap bought one, too, about the same time I bought mine, a few years ago.

BarryBobPosthole
12-06-2014, 02:58 PM
CD, Birddog and I were fishing one day and I was fishing with a chart Kinami Flash and had a kingfisher dive out of the top of a tree and grab my lure that was almost three feet underwater and come up and try to fly off with it. Both of us were astonished. I casted back out to the same place and he did it again which really astonished the both of us.

BKB

Captain
12-06-2014, 03:14 PM
There's no need to besmirch cats in your curmudgeonly rant!

LJ's cat be like.....

BarryBobPosthole
12-06-2014, 03:45 PM
^^^^^Like^^^^^

bKB

Big Skyz
12-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Big Muddy, that was the first pistol I looked at in my search. Then I made the mistake of picking up a friend's S+W Governor. The fit and finish work on it compared the Taurus Judge was so superior that they aren't even in the same league. It's sort'a like going on a dating show and being told that you can either go out with Rosanne Barr or Kate Upton. Upton for me all the way thankyouverymuch. Anyway, I looked hard at that Governor and may still pick one up some day, but the thing is just too big and heavy to pack around all day while fishing. So that led me eventually to the S+W 686. It's relatively light and compact enough to carry, and .38 bird shot will kill any snake in the country. When in the mountains where the snakes don't exist I'd be comfortable regular .357 bullets. My biggest worry in the mountains isn't bears, mt. lions, or wolves, it's freaky people I seem to come across while hiking in on forest service trails. There are some really strange people that hang out in the mountains!

Thumper
12-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Ala Ted Bundy? ;)

Captain
12-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Speaking of which I'm planning on buying a S+W 686 in the very near future (before next spring) just for that purpose. I can't begin to tell you how much I dislike those things. On a side note I went coyote hunting last night along that creek I took you fishing on. I got two nice coyotes. :)
Sky I think I've got a couple of those 686's in the safe. Maybe a hammer less model? Or air weight. Or both?

Thumper
12-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Sky I think I've got a couple of those 686's in the safe. Maybe a hammer less model? Or air weight. Or both?

Ummm, are you trying to remember what you have there Cappy? Or offering B/S a deal? ;)

Captain
12-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Probably a deal. I think the airweight/hammerless is one Mrs Captain use to carry. And she's getting her CCW now so I think I should hang on to it.
Just need to go down and check inventory....

Big Skyz
12-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Captain go take a looky-see and let me know what you have? I'm not interested in a hammerless anyway.

Big Skyz
12-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Big Muddy hey please don't take any offense to what I said about those Taurus Judge pistols. They came out with it first. It's big, it's cool, and it would get the job done. I just like how much further the boys at S+W took it. I also like the fact the S+W can shoot .45ACP.

Big Muddy
12-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Not at all, Sky....I only mentioned it, mainly because of the price difference....yep, the Judge is not going to win any beauty contests....I'm pretty rough on my guns, and think nothing of tossing them in my tractor cab or under the truck seat....so, I really don't need anything fancy....heck, after all, a dead snake is a good snake.....or, dead cats. ;)

Buckrub
12-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Probably a deal. I think the airweight/hammerless is one Mrs Captain use to carry. And she's getting her CCW now so I think I should hang on to it.
Just need to go down and check inventory....

Having seen that safe, that shouldn't take you much more than two weeks.

BarryBobPosthole
12-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Can you not just saw the barrel and butt off a 410 and make a pistol type grip and make a snake gun from that? I know there's legal length limits on shotguns but in most places I don't think that applies to a 410.

BKB

Captain
12-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Can you not just saw the barrel and butt off a 410 and make a pistol type grip and make a snake gun from that? I know there's legal length limits on shotguns but in most places I don't think that applies to a 410. BKB
It does apply to any gun marked 410 shotgun. If it's marked 41 or 44 it does not apply.
Barrel has to be at least 18 inches and total length from back of stock to tip of barrel cannot be under 26 inches.

Big Muddy
12-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Can you not just saw the barrel and butt off a 410 and make a pistol type grip and make a snake gun from that? I know there's legal length limits on shotguns but in most places I don't think that applies to a 410.

BKB

Old single shot .410's are cheap....I sawed off two of those, too....I got snake guns stashed everywhere....even made one for wifey. ;)

Captain
12-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Big Sky. Here's what I found. I'll have to do this in several post cause ForumRunner will only let me post one picture at a time. So here goes. I found a neat little double barrel handgun that shoots, 45, 45 long Colt, 410 up to 3 inch, 41 and 41 mag and 44 and 44 mag.... Neat little double barrel. 4070

Captain
12-07-2014, 04:00 PM
The judge I have is one that shoots up to 3 inch 410. 4072

Captain
12-07-2014, 04:04 PM
I found 3 little revolvers. One is a S&W 686 nickel plated hammerless. One is a S&W Airweight 686 hammerless. And one Colt Cobra nickel plated (that might be the one that fits your bill) 4074 4075

I also found 2 model 10 S&W's one bull barrel and one regular but they both are 4 inch. Found one model 19 S&W .357 but it's blued and small 4" barrel.
And a Glock model 30 in a 45ACP

Thumper
12-07-2014, 04:37 PM
You have too many guns. ;)

Captain
12-07-2014, 04:38 PM
I have gotten rid of a zillion of them the past few years.

Big Skyz
12-07-2014, 05:21 PM
I agree the Cobra is closer to what I'm looking for than those other pistols. Send me a text and let me know what you have in mind?

yellowk9
12-08-2014, 11:42 AM
I can't imagine having so many guns that I "discover" ones I didn't know about in my safe???? I own a dozen firearms and I could tell you where every one is right now. Maybe when I'm your age I'll have so many I can't keep up with them or just get so old I can't remember what I have or where they are........ ;-)

Thumper
12-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Cappy's so old he even forgets his name half the time. ;)