PDA

View Full Version : New One

BarryBobPosthole
12-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I saw somethi g this morning about boiled peanuts and ham being a southern tradition. i've never heard any of you all say anything about it. Do you jus pick the ham out and eat it or what? The picture I saw had the ham in he pot just like you would do with a pot of beans.
BKB

Thumper
12-08-2014, 09:34 AM
I think that's a relatively new thing Posty. I've grown up with "bolt" peanuts all my life (just peanuts and salt water). In the past 20 years or so, people started experimenting with flavors. Cajun is the most common make 'em like a crab boil. I have seen the ham recently ... well, sort'a. I'm not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about, but I've seen them throw a ham hock in the pot to give the peanuts a smoke flavor. If you mean a whole ham ... I have no clue, but I suppose it would work. Just eat the "bolt ham" I suppose. I really don't think it's meant to be a "peanuts & ham" thing ... just a different flavoring for the peanuts.

BarryBobPosthole
12-08-2014, 09:59 AM
This was the pic they posted. Ham flavored eh? That's just nuts!
BKB

Thumper
12-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Hmmm, can't tell how much ham is in there really ... looks like a few slices and maybe some chunks. My thought is, it's just like I said above, like throwing in a ham hock for flavor. People are experimenting with different flavors lately. I've seen Chinese boiled peanuts also ... they use those star looking thingies (anise?) I think. Just adds a different flavor to the peanuts.

It's getting hard these days to find a roadside stand that doesn't have regular and cajun now. I think the ham is pretty new.

Captain
12-08-2014, 10:16 AM
It may be an old tradition some where but not around my neck of the woods. Never see or heard of it.
However I would not knock it till I tried it. :D

Captain
12-08-2014, 10:19 AM
One thing I can tell from the photo is them peanuts were washed REALLY good before boiling. We don't take time to do that. Just spray them off with a water hose to remove the bulk of dirt/sand and then boil them. The little remaining dirt adds a lot of flavor.
Guess if you gonna throw ham in the pot you want the water as clean as possible?

Thumper
12-08-2014, 10:27 AM
I got curious and scratched around the net a bit. I'm with Cappy ... the shells are usually dirty, although you can spend a bunch of time cleaning them if you want.

I found this recipe ... it says the ham is just for flavor and to discard it after the peanuts are done. (note my highlight in step #2)

Ham-Flavored Boiled Peanuts

You can find dried peanuts in the produce section of your local supermarket or at a farmers market. Store cooked peanuts in the refrigerator up to three days. If you prefer your peanuts warm, heat them in the microwave, covered, at 80% power for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring once.

Yield: Makes 14 cups
Cook time: 9 Hours
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Soak: 8 Hours
Stand: 1 Hour

Ingredients:

2 pounds dried raw peanuts
6 quarts water
2 smoked ham hocks
1/2 cup salt

Preparation:

1. Soak peanuts in water to cover in a large stock pot at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. (You may need to weigh down peanuts with a large plate or lid to ensure that they are fully submerged.) Drain and rinse.

2. Bring 6 qt. water and ham hocks to a boil in a large stock pot. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours. Remove and discard ham hocks. Cool broth; chill 8 hours. Skim fat from broth. Add peanuts and salt to broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 6 hours or until tender, adding water as needed to keep peanuts covered; stir occasionally.

3. Remove from heat; let stand 1 hour.

HideHunter
12-08-2014, 10:58 AM
You sure as hell couldn't hurt them. About as foul a thing as I ever put in my mouth. Don't usually litter but I dumped a whole bag out the window of the truck somewhere in northern FL.

LJ3
12-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Mmmmmmm I'd hit it!

I've been trying all kinds of different recipes this past year. Old Bay is a pretty damn good one, too.

Thumper
12-08-2014, 11:12 AM
You sure as hell couldn't hurt them. About as foul a thing as I ever put in my mouth. Don't usually litter but I dumped a whole bag out the window of the truck somewhere in northern FL.

Dang Yankees don't know nuttin' 'bout good food anydangway! ;)

quercus alba
12-08-2014, 02:17 PM
don't know if boiled peanuts are good or not, kinda nasty looking. I'll stick to pinto beans if I'm looking for something to put in a pot with some ham

Thumper
12-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Ain't NUTTIN' wrong with a big ol' ham bone in a pot'o pinto beans ... eaten with cornbread of course!

Niner
12-08-2014, 03:09 PM
I NEVER heard of such a thing.

Thumper
12-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Personally, it seems like a waste of good ham to me.

LJ3
12-08-2014, 03:29 PM
One of the beautiful things about bowled peanuts in my house is everyone thinks they're gross. I don't have to worry about anyone touching them at all. Which is pretty damn rare with four damn kids.

Buckrub
12-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Not Southern.....Eastern.