PDA

View Full Version : New pup - maybe

johnboy
12-08-2014, 04:31 PM
It's been over two years since I had to put down our bullie girl because of her cancer and we just never have been able to make the decision to get another dog. I've talked to breeders and waffled and come up with excuses not to but I think this may be the time.

We're heading to the mainland on Wed to look at some pups and will probably have one when they are ready to leave momma (around Jan 15).

Will be one of these little suckers:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/harper-mountain-bullmastiffs

Hey Sunny, you gotta check this out.

HideHunter
12-08-2014, 06:53 PM
lol... may I say, "Holy Shit!" I may well have owned more dogs than anyone here. I love them. That said, wow - that's a lot of dog. ;) On the good side, I've heard nothing but good things about bull mastiffs.... except - they are a *lot* of dog. ;)

Thumper
12-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Ain't that what Gabby used to raise? You ain't buyin' one from her ... are you?

If so, tell Eric Remington hello. :D

johnboy
12-09-2014, 01:34 PM
HH, yeah a "lot of dog" fer sure but with a real nice attitude. I've had two in the past (male and female) and really fell in love with the breed. Just great dogs, all round if you want a family companion. Training can be a little interesting however, as they do tend to have a mind of their own about things but persistence will pay off (mostly :D).

Anyway, the plan is to go have a look at the pups, parents and owners on Wed but we are having a monster southeaster right now so not sure if the ferries will be running tomorrow.

Thump, not Gabby (not sure I remember her - before my time?).

BarryBobPosthole
12-09-2014, 01:43 PM
If you run into a black, gay dentist in your travels just beware is all I'm gonna say.

I've owned dogs a long time too and those very large breeds certainly do come with a personality and that's what makes them cool, at least to me. Trav has one that actually owns him I think instead of the other way around. A Neopolitan I believe. So it's chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla.

I just had something happen that I've never seen in a dog before. My young springer got a 'hot spot' on her right rear hind quarters and it literally happened in the span of a few hours it seemed. One minute she was okay, the next she's got a big raw, bloddy looking lesion on her that was about the size of a dollar bill. A $170 dollar trip to the vet and we had her on some steroids and antibiotics and a day later it was starting to heal and she wasn't bothering it any more. Really bizarre. I asked my vet how they happened and he gave me some sort of vague, bullshit which basically means "I don't know". I'd sure like to know because it looked like it would really hurt and I'd not like to have it happen again.

BKB

johnboy
12-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Black, gay dentist? Sounds like a buddy of Thumps. OK, I'll watch out.

I've been looking at one of the mastiff breeds (English) and was very close to getting one but couldn't pull the trigger. Beautiful dogs! The bullie is about half the size of an English or Neapolitan mastiff so they are only big and not 'huge'. :D

I had an Alaskan malamute that used to get hotspots and we got a sulfa based cream for him that worked wonders and would clear it up pretty quick. Just something else to watch for with your pooch.

Thumper
12-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Thump, not Gabby (not sure I remember her - before my time?).

Gosh, I don't think so Johnboy. TW and I used to chat with her all night long back in the day. Surely you remember Gabby and Jeff Clark ... he speld sumthen licke thiss. ER was a dentist (not black or gay) out of Nebraska. He went through a mid-life crisis, bought a Harley, Gabby left Jeff, ER left his wife and the two of them rode off into the sunset together never to be heard from again. Jeff chased 'em all over the country for a while until he finally gave up and bought a farm in Kentucky (or someplace like that). We haven't heard from any of them in many years. The old Good Hunting Peyton Place! ;)

Anyway, before she flew the coop, I believe Gabby was breeding and raising Mastiffs.

BarryBobPosthole
12-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I think Jeff was living in SW Missouri the last time we heard from him.

BKB

Thumper
12-09-2014, 02:26 PM
I think you're right. I believe it's Bubbles and Hard Rock who went to Kentucky.

Chicken Dinner
12-09-2014, 02:26 PM
I thought they want to WVa?

Thumper
12-09-2014, 02:28 PM
They who? Bubs and HR? Gabby and ER? Or Jeff and his new bride? I'm getting confused. ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Bubbles and Hardrock. Jeff and Gabby were before my time.

Thumper
12-09-2014, 03:30 PM
You're prolly right. That rings a bell. I can't keep track. :(

Captain
12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
I believe Gabby was breeding and raising Mastiffs.
I thought it was the other way around. ;)

johnboy
12-13-2014, 01:45 PM
We went; we saw; we put down a deposit. Took a road trip on Thurs/Fri to visit the breeder and look at the parents and pups and were happy with the setup and dogs so picked one out and put down the $$$. If you look on the live feed, he is the dark one with the orange collar. A real nice looking, friendly, inquisitive pup. If he matches his father, he should be a brawny boy in a few years. It's taken a while to make the decision but we're both pretty happy with doing so. Gotta think of a good name now. :D

Trav
12-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Barry you are right Grendel is a Neopolitan and sometimes I think you are right she ownes me.