PDA

View Full Version : Damn

BarryBobPosthole
12-09-2014, 11:47 PM
We just got home from my retirement/going away party at a little Irish pub down in Tulsa. It wasn't a huge deal but something put together by a friend of mine and I got to see a lot of people that really mattered to me in my working life and got to drink free Black and Tans for three hours which is always a bonus. Of course, I've been thnking a lot lately about my working career and what it meant to my family and to me and I look back on it with what I think is some justifiable pride. I didn't ever quit, I put up with the assholes and I had a good time with the good ones. I was able to put beans on the table and I got to work on some really cool shit. I got to do stuff that no high school graduate from Poteau Oklahoma ought to get to do and there were a lot of imes I had to pinch myself that I wasn't dreaming. The first piece of advice I got as a young technician was from a guy named Bill McGowan who told me that at any giventime there were probaly only about a hundred people in our industry who were really doing things that shaped the future of telecommunications. I think I made that list of a hundred maybe a couple of times in my career.
I was able to finish without ever having to say 'back when I gave a shit'.
So yeah, this is a good time to hang up my pistols and saddle and do something else. If I've sounded conceited about this, just know that throughout thhe last 39 years of being in telecom, I've only had o pinch myself maybe a thousand times to tell myself I wasn't in a dream. That only means I recognise that anything I've accomplished was as much a matter of luck as it was ability.

Its finally done. Man, What a ride!

Time to tap that bottle of Makers Trav brought me!

CheersI

BKB

Arty
12-10-2014, 02:22 AM
I only HOPE that I can one day... Pen the exact words you just wrote.
I'll substitute the necessary words, but all in all, an awesome epitaph to a fantastic career!
Congrats!

Chicken Dinner
12-10-2014, 06:43 AM
A fine tribute- congrats!

Captain
12-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Congrats Posty! I know ya' and I feel you are fixing to enter a phase of enjoyment like none other.
It IS different and there is some necessary "getting use to it" time needed.
Congrats again and relax and enjoy!

Thumper
12-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Wow! Did your words ever ring some bells ... the been there, done that kind. I just wish I could say I stayed for that long, but when "my" industry changed for the worse ... I bailed. Unlike you, I could no longer deal with the arrogant assholes in control of my industry and decided to be my own boss. I hung my 20 or so suits in the closet, never to be worn again except to a wedding or funeral (same things in my book!) The move sacred the bejeebers out'ta me at first and it was "touch & go" for a while, but once things smoothed out, it was everything I'd hoped for. The economy brought the "good times" to an abrupt halt and I had to jump back into the working man's world. That's when I found out, the hard way, that nobody wants to hire an "old man" no matter how much he can bring to the table. I had bills to pay and HAD to do SOMETHING ... so I decided to do something I'd wanted to do since I was a kid. It wasn't a "glamorous" job and is about as blue collar as you can get ... but it ended as quickly as it started. That put me where I think you are today. I was worried at first, but with a lot of tweaking, planning (and a bit of belt tightening) ... I'm now on an even keel. I can't do EVERYTHING I'd like to do, but I'm happy.

Congrats on the fortitude to stick with something as long as you did and welcome to "my" world. I honestly think you're in a great position to really enjoy what's ahead once you work through the "butterflys" stage. Have fun! You deserve it.

DeputyDog
12-10-2014, 08:43 AM
I want to add my congratulations to everyone else's. It's not conceited to look back and be able to say that you accomplished some things that really mattered to the industry that you spent so much time in. There are a lot of people that get to the end of a career and can't see where anything they have done for the past x number of years made any difference to anyone or anything.

It sounds like you have been planning for this time to come and are in decent shape to be able to do what you want to do, so just use your time fishing and spoiling the grandkids.

LW
12-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Nice accomplishment. Congratulations.

Cards01
12-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Congratulations!! You have earned it!!

Big Skyz
12-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Congrats, now maybe you'll be able to find the time to work your way out to Montana one of these days so I can spoil ya.

LJ3
12-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Nicely done Barry. You have every right to be proud of your career!

jb
12-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Enjoy phase ?? of your life, it comes at an age where you still have options to pursue, and time to enjoy this new freedom.
I"m sure you'll find many things to replace the grind of 9 to 5.:party

Trav
12-10-2014, 03:17 PM
hey you weren't supposed to open that without me. Now that you are retired I think next year you and I need to road trip out to NC and deer hunt with Cappy.

johnboy
12-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a good party and that you've got a great attitude about leaving. I think you will do just fine as a retired old coot. :D

Buckrub
12-10-2014, 03:47 PM
A) Congratulations, Barry. Well done.

B) I was good at what I did (best I remember), and you were better at it than I was.

C) in one year, pray that someone doesn't ask you what you did for a living.

D) If you don't drive east and fish with me now, I'll know you just don't like me none.

E) I'm on the way to Cappy's.

F) Congratulations again.

Bwana
12-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Just want to add my congratulations too Posthole. Sounds like you had a great career & can now move on with a sense of accomplishment for a job very well done.

BarryBobPosthole
12-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks! Its taken a little bit to soak in for some reason I can't put my finger on. So I'm prone to wax philosophical in my cooterage.

BKB

johnboy
12-10-2014, 05:13 PM
"Cooterage" - cooter age. I like that. :oldfart