PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha think, Phole?...."""Okla. high school, screwed by the refs"""....

Big Muddy
12-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Personally, I understand both sides of the issue, but hey, this was a blatant officiating error, acknowledged by the OSSAA board of directors.

Full article: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-public-schools-asks-judge-to-order-replay-of-football-game/article/5372794

Oklahoma City Public Schools on Thursday asked a judge to order a replay of part or all of the disputed playoff football game between Douglass and Locust Grove high schools.

The school district is asking for a replay of either the final 64 seconds of the game, or the entire game.

The district wants the judge to issue a temporary restraining order prohibiting the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association from proceeding with the next playoff game until the judge can rule on its request for a replay.

Read: The Oklahoma City Public Schools lawsuit

A hearing is set for 3:30 p.m. Thursday in Oklahoma County District Court.

Locust Grove won the Class 3A quarterfinal game 20-19 after a misapplied rule by officials cost Douglass a go-ahead touchdown with just more than one minute remaining.

The OSSAA board of directors voted 8-3 Wednesday not to allow a replay of the game

BarryBobPosthole
12-10-2014, 11:04 AM
I've been following this one pretty closely, mainly because Poteau beat Douglass last year in the semifinals and I was actually at the game. The Douglass fans were rude and ugly, their players quite obviously held on about every offensive play they ran and they obviously too had gotten away with it for most of their year because when the rules were enforced, they also had a LOT of offensive holding calls. A few called back scoring plays. Last year, the Douglass coach (who is in trouble this year for running his mouth) called out the OSSAA and the refs for being racially biased and it was a huge stink that really soured Poteau's win over them. I might also add that the Douglass coaching staff spend most of last year's game out on the field even while the ball was in play and never even got warned by the refs. I think of myself as more than just a casual football fan and I'm here to tell you that the Douglass team and coach's behaviors was pathetic.
Fast forward to this year, the refs DID make a bad error on enforcing one penalty. The same head coach told the refs they could 'go to hell' in those exact words, and there was a ref that got punched by a Douglass fan after the game. There was also contact with a ref from a coach running on the field on that play and that is what drew the flag so they still do the same shit. The first thing the state rep from that district did after the game was to schedule a press conference along with the local NAACP people and denounce the officials and said they lost because the officials were racially biased.
Now this is all from a primarily black school that only a few years ago had such a horrible dropout rate that the state had to spend huge amounts of money to get juniors and seniors enough credits to graduate. something like 5% of the junior class in 2011 had credits that put them on track to graduate. My own personal thoughts? Their coach needs to be suspended for a long long time and someone in that district and in that school needs to stand up and tell these kids they love 'em and they love watching them play but stuff like this happens in life and its how you respond to it that determines your character.
And then I think they ought to shut the fuck up.

BKB

Big Muddy
12-10-2014, 11:33 AM
So, the Douglas coaches are pieces of sheeit, and the school sucks....and, evidently you don't like them, either....I can understand all of that....but, the kids were screwed out of a win because of an official's error of interpreting the rules, not a ref's judgment call, i.e., blocking in the back, holding, foot-out-of-bounds, pass interference, etc.

We all try to teach our kids to follow the rules, so what sort of message does that send to those kids from BOTH schools???

That was a major high school semi-playoff game, which as we all know, is a BIG deal in Okla.....there should have been an OSSAA official at that game to correct that error, immediately....jmho.

LJ3
12-10-2014, 11:43 AM
I would extract and illustrate the following lesson from that.

Human beings make mistakes all the time. How you choose to deal with those mistakes reflect on who you are as a person and what your values are toward yourself and others.

Big Muddy
12-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Touche', Len....from a different perspective, how would the same situation have been handled, if the game had been between the Sooners and Okla. State???

LJ3
12-10-2014, 12:12 PM
They'd move them all to the Ninny North 16 conference. Which would have about 26 teams.

BarryBobPosthole
12-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Its happened to the Sooners before, against Oregon in what could have been a game that decided where we landed in the standings. And what Sooners had to accept then, just like these kids have to accept now is sometimes all you get out of a deal like this is a promise to make it better. You can't undo some actions. Hopefully, the OSSAA will take some measures to make sure when these types of things happen, they can get corrected on the spot more often. What is not needed in any sport however, is a protest process where teams get redo's for referee or umpire errors. Those process harm the innocent players on the other team as much as they fix anything.
And no, I don't hate this school. I do greatly dislike the fans and 'civic leaders' who tirelessly play the same old card in every confrontation. That gets old. We've had serious problems in Oklahoma with black schools and their fan's behavior. To the point where games can only be attended by people associated with the players and where IDs have to be shown to get into games. Rules where games have to be played and rules about congregating at games, which pretty much makes tailgating at those games impossible. This was brought on by a few predominantly minority schools where serious fights and injuries occurred at football games just over the past few years. Interestingly enough, this doesn't happen at the other public schools in Oklahoma. Hell, even when I played high school football over 40 years ago, we had to wear helmets when entering and exiting visitor locker rooms at one minority school because we got spit on, drinks dumped on us, and bottles thrown at us.
Is this a racist deal? Yeah I think it is. But it ain't racism from the people you'd normally think it's from.

People wanna say we ought to love one another and all that. They need to practice what they preach.

BKB

DeputyDog
12-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I've noticed a lot recently that the people who yell about intolerance and bigotry tend to be pretty intolerant and bigoted against people who don't hold their same beliefs on their pet issues.

Big Muddy
12-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Game has even been discussed on espn....for what it's worth, Barry Switzer said to replay the entire game, and get it settled on the field, correctly this time.

Buckrub
12-10-2014, 03:59 PM
I'd waterboard the whole Douglas team. ;)

LW
12-10-2014, 07:15 PM
A. What says they won't have another error on the field if they replay the game.
2. My kid is in high school sports and is primarily a baseball pitcher. One life lesson that he has got to learn is that life isn't always fair.
III. That coach is a piece of shit for acting that way.
d. I don't care who won the game.

Buckrub
12-10-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm ticked off. I thought my answer was funny.

LW
12-10-2014, 09:00 PM
It was.

BarryBobPosthole
12-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Looks like this ended in the right way, IMO.

BKB

http://newsok.com/douglass-locust-grove-judge-denies-douglass-request-for-injunction/article/5374965

LW
12-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Good.