PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cappy!

Thumper
12-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Ha ha ha! I found some stand heaters for ya'! Gonna be there first thing in the a.m. :D

http://pictures.estatesales.net/754128/17525103/1.jpg

Captain
12-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Damn. I think those are the ones that Fred Flintstone used in his dinosaur hunting blinds....

Thumper
12-12-2014, 12:01 AM
This place is gonna be a fun one. These people have lived in the house since the 50's and from the looks of it, I think that's the last time they bought anything new. It's piled thick and high with "stuff". I'm looking forward to this one ... it's my kind'a goldmine! :D

http://pictures.estatesales.net/754128/17536893/1.jpg http://pictures.estatesales.net/754128/17525078/1.jpg

Any clue what this rusty ol' pot lookin' thingy is on the bottom shelf??

http://pictures.estatesales.net/754128/17525071/1.jpg

Niner
12-12-2014, 07:10 AM
That thing kinda sorta looks like it maybe might be somekindof cast iron pressure cooker. Did they make pressure cookers back in the cast-iron days????

Looks like an interesting 'dig' for sure.

Thumper
12-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Yep Bill, they had something like 130 photos on the website. WWII stuff (the old guy still had his old WWII uniform even), I saw a Ziplok bag of old razors stuffed in a pile of junk in a closet (doesn't look like he ever threw one away), lots of antiques, some furniture but much of it just smaller stuff like the cast iron above. Not really pristine and on display, but just kinda "here & there" ... which is a good thing. When it's all cleaned up and on display on the fireplace mantle, it tends to be priced higher. The garage is full of stuff (old tools, etc) ... heck, the whole house is loaded with junk just kinda strewn around hodge-podge. There are about 5 sales going on here today and three of them look like this one. Problem is, Lynn's only working 'til 11:30 this afternoon and we're leaving for a weekend at the beach. Dang! I'm gonna have to hustle, plus I'll miss 1/2 price day tomorrow. ARRRGGGHHH! Well, gonna get my act together here ... my new pickin' buddy will be here in about 10 mins. We're hoping to be first in line (sale starts at 8:00).

DeputyDog
12-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Good luck! That looks like it will be fun and you should get some great finds. I've got my Dad's WWII Navy uniform (dress blue) with hat and I even have his sea bag and hammock with the mattress.

Chicken Dinner
12-12-2014, 10:45 AM
I think Niner may be onto something:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cast-Iron-Pressure-cooker-rare-4-0-gallon-heavy-/161517224739?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259b2d4323

Hombre
12-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Thump if you ever run past one of the hammered griswolds I would be interested

Thumper
12-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Dang Hombre ... I recently sold one ... cast iron skillet with hinged lid.

Yep, I checked out the piece above and it was a cast iron pressure cooker ... but it was missing some parts so I left it there.

Hombre
12-12-2014, 07:37 PM
well for the future keep me in mind

Thumper
12-12-2014, 09:58 PM
I will Hombre ... here's the one I just sold.

4099 4100

Niner
12-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Those kerosene heaters in the first pic bring back some memories.
When I was a young E-5 living Off Base in Jacksonville, FL back in the laate 70's, me and a buddy were renting a little two bedroom house no toooo far from the base.

The house had a fuel-oil heater, as did a lot of houses around there. We figgered it would cost a LOT of money to fillup that tank, and we figgered it couldn't get all THAT cold in Jax FL......so we opted not to get the tank filled. When winter finally got there.....YES it does get cold in northern FL....I found an old kerosene heater like those in that piic.

I set it up in my bedroom so at least I wouldn't freeze to death.

Thumper
12-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah 9'er, I remember my grandfather using one of those in his little workshop area on the side of his garage when I was a kid. This house was FULL of old stuff like that and it was a real treasure hunt. My problems is, I don't want anything for myself as I've reached the point in my life where I'm trying to get rid of stuff, where years ago, I wanted to keep anything I thought was cool. I guess you could say I "collected" stuff ... if there was something I liked, I wanted one of every model/style made! I was kind of like that with guns, but due to cost involved, I didn't get crazy ... I think I had 30-35 of them ... unlike some Tarheel around here who carried it to the extreme and has 3000-3500! :)

After my health went into the toilet, I started looking for ways to MAKE money instead of SPENDING it and I found out how much fun it is to SELL stuff. I have a blast doing this estate sale gig. It never gets boring (like some "jobs") because every day is different. Plus it's ... this may sound morbid, but once you get used to it, you can appreciate it ... I really enjoy walking into a house and getting to "know" the previous occupant. In this house, the old guy lived to be in his mid-90's. He'd been in this house since the 50's. There was stuff from his school days, yearbooks, school books, papers written, photos, etc. He had a trunk full of his personal WWII memorabilia including his old uniform. There were momentos, awards, pictures, etc. from his working life. There was tons of stuff that told of what he did in his retirement years. If you take the time to look around, you can pretty much follow a person's whole life and learn what kind of person they were and what made them tick.

Then you buy their stuff for pennies and sell it at a profit!! :D

No, just joking in a way, but that's really what it boils down to. On the positive side, it keeps a lot of that stuff from simply being thrown in trash bags and hauled to the dump. It also never ceases to amaze me how the family seldom wants much of this type stuff. All they want is to get rid of it so they can sell the real estate and get that cash!