PDA

View Full Version : A Little Drama at My House

BarryBobPosthole
12-11-2014, 09:42 PM
I was puttingup the Christmas tree and some decorations this afternoon and saw a little drama play out on my bridge across the creek that runs through my yard. Pretty cool looking red tail and he flat hammered the shit out of that squirrel. I managed somehow to catch it out of the corner of my eye and saw the whole thing. He caught me looking at him through the front door and flew off.

And yeah, those are Halloween lights still on my bridge. They get switched out tomorrow.
BKB

Thumper
12-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Halloween lights??? WTF? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-11-2014, 09:47 PM
And damn, but after looking at him more closely that might actually be one of my resident Coopers. I can't see if there bars across his tail or not in these pictures. The Coopers usually have a bunch more speckling on their chest but this might be a color phase or somethng.
This bird also isn't as big as our typical redtail migrant.
Opinions?

Buckrub
12-11-2014, 10:08 PM
A bird is your drama?

You need to get out more, boy.

Big Muddy
12-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Opinions???....okay....that is a really beautiful hawk....some hawks are really pretty, just like some egg-eating chicken snakes, too ........but, they're still a buncha day'um squirrel-killing, wild turkey-killing, chicken-killing, and rabbit-killing hawks....and, when they get too populated in an area, they will totally wipe out a small game animal population....ask me how I know that....that's my humble opinion. ;)

Thumper
12-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Flyin' coyotes! ;)

Niner
12-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Not sure that's a Red Tailed Hawk. At least they don't look like that down this way. But then.....our squirrels don't look like that one either. Funny how animals are different in different parts of the country ain't it.

So Big Mud.....Would you say the same of all raptors? Bald Eagles? Owls? Falcons?
Ya know, I've heard that Red-Tailed Hawk tastes an awful lot like Spotted Owl....just a tad "gamier", but if you brine them and slow cook them they turn out pretty good.
:biggrin

Big Muddy
12-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Yep, Niner, that's what they ALL do....not saying kill 'em, just saying they screw up my small game hunting, when they're over-populated. ;)