PDA

View Full Version : New MS hunting law.....

Big Muddy
12-15-2014, 12:04 PM
I like this new MS hunting law....paraphrased from MS Code:

During any open season on deer with primitive weapons after November 30, a person may use ANY legal weapon of choice on private lands only, if the person is:

a. The title owner of the land;
or
b. The lessee of the hunting rights on the land;
or
c. A member of a hunting club leasing the hunting rights on the land;
or
d. A guest of a person specified in subparagraph (a), (b) or (c).

e. If the person is required to have a hunting license, the person must have either a primitive weapon license,
a Sportsman's License or a Lifetime Sportsman's License.

Buckrub
12-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Good grief.

I love Mississippi. I wish I owned land there.........

Chicken Dinner
12-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Sounds like they should just go any weapon any season and skip the charade.

Captain
12-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Eddie thats similar to the way NC has always been. Bow season comes in about the 12 or so of September and you can hunt with bow till January the first. When November the 8 (or so) comes around you can then hunt with a muzzleloader or bow from then till January the first. When November the 12th (or so) comes around you can then hunt with bow, muzzleloader, or gun (handgun, rifle or shotgun) till January 1st.

Chicken Dinner
12-16-2014, 09:41 AM
I guess I misunderstood BM's paraphrase. You can do that statewide in Virginia on public or private lands. Anybody/anywhere, can bow hunt during ML and rifle season and ML hunt during rifle season.

Buckrub
12-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Maybe I misunderstood it.

I don't know what MS calls "Primitive weapons", I guess.

If they think a ML is primitive weapon, then I'm for this. I heard MS allows .45-70's for ML season anyway. ??

If they mean bow, not sure what this does. We have Bow Season from Oct 1 till Feb 28, inclusive.....you can always hunt with the 'lesser' of what season it is, but not 'bigger'. If Modern Gun is in season, then hunt with anything, bow, muzzleloader, spear, whatever. Muzzleloader season, you can hunt with ML or Bow. Rest of the Oct 1 - Feb 8, bow only (no orange).

Here, the AGFC is hypocritical about feral hogs. They say "We don't regulate those, those are not a game animal, they're livestock". They they proceed to tell us when and where we can't hunt them.

Thumper
12-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Personally, I don't see much of a revelation there ... unless Mississippi had some totally screwed up regulations previously and have just caught up with the rest of the country. It appears to only apply to private land.

Buckrub
12-16-2014, 10:53 AM
The rest of the country allows modern guns on private land during Muzzleloader season?

I don't think so.

Thumper
12-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Oh, Ok ... I see that now ... guess I read it too fast and missed the whole point.