PDA

View Full Version : Book Review - Six Frigates

LJ3
12-22-2014, 01:00 PM
As recommended by our esteemed retired Senior Noticer.

Excellent book. Good stories, tons of history and solid political insight. Not only is it about the formation of our Navy and why it was needed but also of our Government, and lots of the conflicts that are alive and well today. I'm giviing it 4.10 stars out of 5.

Next up on my list is this gem. Looking very forward to reading it.
http://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Mind-Divided-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419267487&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=riteoud+mind

"As America descends deeper into polarization and paralysis, social psychologist Jonathan Haidt has done the seemingly impossible—challenged conventional thinking about morality, politics, and religion in a way that speaks to everyone on the political spectrum. Drawing on his twenty five years of groundbreaking research on moral psychology, he shows how moral judgments arise not from reason but from gut feelings. He shows why liberals, conservatives, and libertarians have such different intuitions about right and wrong, and he shows why each side is actually right about many of its central concerns. In this subtle yet accessible book, Haidt gives you the key to understanding the miracle of human cooperation, as well as the curse of our eternal divisions and conflicts. If you’re ready to trade in anger for understanding, read The Righteous Mind."

As I was reading the reviews and comments on the front and back of the book to my entire family, they all shook their heads and ignored me. Treated me as if my excitement was that of a crazy person. See if I ever help THEM with history or political information again! Want me to be on your Trivial Pursuit Team? Get a stool!

Captain
12-22-2014, 01:41 PM
I think our retired senior noticer retired from Goodhunting too... :-(
I miss him. I cannot fulfill my duties as Master S/D without his ammo... :D

Chicken Dinner
12-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I may have to pick that up over the holidays. I miss that ornery redhead, too.

Buckrub
12-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Don't we all?