PDA

View Full Version : Sad stuff

Buckrub
12-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Man. What a bummer this is. I have NO idea how to cope with this or help. Grandpa's are supposed to be a help......and I'm at a loss.

Oldest grandson here now. Youngest one coming Friday night. Youngest one is barely 6, in Kindegarten.

Youngest one lost one of his best friends. Died of the Flu!!! He is so bummed, and sad, and depressed. I haven't seen him but can hear it in his voice, and his mama says so.

I need divine guidance for knowing what to say this weekend to help him. I have some idea, but no clue if it will help or not. This is just not the way life is supposed to work out.

I miss the little guy terribly. But it may be hard to not just break down when I see him, just knowing what he's going through. Kids that age don't have the coping mechanisms to deal with this stuff.

Hug your kids and grandkids. Hard.

Chicken Dinner
12-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Hug your kids and grandkids. Hard.

And, there you have it.

Thumper
12-22-2014, 02:05 PM
A terrible and tragic loss. I feel for the family.

Not to be a hard-ass, but I think a 5 year-old can cope with something like that MUCH better and easier than an adult. Kids are resilient and I seriously doubt a kid that age really understands. It's probably more what he'd feel like if his best friend moved away.

I may be dead wrong ... it's just the way I see it. My suggestion is to be upbeat, celebrate the time with him and instill the excitement of the holiday season ... get him excited about Santa's visit instead of his friend's passing.

Or I could be FOS .. who knows?

Condolences to the child's family. Bad time of year for stuff like that ... NOT that there's a good time.

LJ3
12-22-2014, 02:23 PM
HH said it already. Hugs are the way to deal with that. Any attempt to make sense of it to a young kid won't do anything at all. Hugs and reassurances.

Chicken Dinner
12-22-2014, 03:13 PM
I think every kid is different just like every adult. 1st, make sure they surrounded by love. After that, be open to however or whatever it is they want or need to express. Feelings are feelings and there isn't a right or wrong other than trying to avoid it if the kid wants or needs to talk about it.