PDA

View Full Version : Gots a question one of youse dufes might be able to answer.

Thumper
12-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Many months ago, a neighbor gave me his old iPhone 3GS (32 gig) in exchange for a favor I did for him. He said he'd upgraded, it'd been sitting in a drawer for a while and he didn't need it anymore. It was dead when I brought it home, but I didn't really think anything of it as, for all I knew, they left it on when they parked it. I charged it, deleted all the personal info and set it back to "default". Well, it then sat on my desk for a few months and a month or so ago, I decided to list it on eBay. I tried to turn it on, but the battery was dead again. I thought it was a bit odd, but it had been a few months, so I charged it again and listed it. Well, the phone sold last night and as I was packaging it this morning, I noticed the battery is dead again! I really can't remember when I charged it last ... maybe a month ... maybe a bit longer ... I have no clue. My question is, should it drain in that amount of time even when turned off? Lynn and I have had iPhones since the iPhone 4, but we've never let one set that long (were always using them) so I have no clue if it's normal or not. I also have no idea how long it actually held a charge before it died as I didn't bother to check it regularly.

I'd hate to take this guys money and ship this thing if the battery is toast. I know it holds a charge (while turned off) for a few days at least, but I've never checked it after non-use for much longer than that. Any ideas? Shouldn't it hold a charge for quite a while if turned off? I need to ship this thing today. I figure if I mention any battery concerns to the buyer, it may throw up a flag and he'd find a "problem" (and possibly ask for a discount) even if there's nothing wrong with it. If I do NOT mention it, I feel like I'm being dishonest. I'll probably just charge it, ship it, and see if he has a future complaint, then handle it, but I simply don't like doing business that way. This sucks.

Any suggestions. Ya' think it's normal? I'd assume he'll keep it charged while using it, I just don't know how much talk time he'll have if it's bad (or going bad).

LJ3
12-23-2014, 10:18 AM
It's fine. Charge it and send it. That's what phone batteries do.

Thumper
12-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Well, I hope that's the case. I've never let one set so long without charging it. Thanks, I feel better about it now.

Captain
12-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Someone buying a used phone should expect to be buying a used battery too! Especially on a phone you cannot swap a battery out of...

Thumper
12-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Well, that's what bothers me. If the battery is bad, I'd want to disclose that fact. I just don't know if it's bad or not as I've never let one set that long. Oh well, I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Captain
12-23-2014, 11:01 AM
He can take it to the Apple Store and they will put a new one in. Actually you CAN do it yourself but I would not attempt it.

Niner
12-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Ya know, Cap'n.....you might be onto somethinng.
Several years ago I had an iPod Nano, or Mini...or somesuch.
Anyway, the battery on that rascal got to where it would not take a charge and the only way to play it was to keep it eitherr plugged into the wall, or the computer.

I found a site on the ol' Inernet that told how to crack one of them things open and they even sold a special tool to help do the job. I bought a new battery with lots more power, and their little tool thingy. Then one evening I sat down at my workbench and did the deed and had the battery swapped out in no time.

I'll betcha that the info is out there on how to crack open an older iPhone and do the same thing to them.

LJ3
12-23-2014, 01:19 PM
They sell kits for every apple device known to man to replace screens, batteries, you name it.

I've done it a few times. Not recommended if your eyesight isn't excellent and you have the ability to handle TINY screws and manipulate micro-size hardware.

Captain
12-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Not recommended if your eyesight isn't excellent and you have the ability to handle TINY screws and manipulate micro-size hardware.
I guess you and Thumper would be the best qualified then.... :-)

LJ3
12-23-2014, 01:36 PM
I have the magnifying mirror to help my self-esteem.

Thumper
12-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Speaking of mico ... I know one micro-sized dude here who needs to go get a VERY tall stool! ;)

Thumper
12-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Well, the whole point here is I didn't want to sell a phone that needs a battery because I didn't list it as such. Kinda hard to tell the guy, after the fact, he needs to replace the battery.

Niner
12-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Then again....how OLD is the iPhone3 anyway? 5 - 6 years or so???
ANYONE with half a brain about things electronic knows that those batts don't last forever. I think your fine.

If I was buying a cell phone that old I'd be tickled if the battery lasted long enough to ensure it powered up....UNLESS the seller said it had a new battery, or the battery had been replaced xx months ago.

If the seller said nothing about the battery, then I'd have to assume it had the original battery installed.

Thumper
12-23-2014, 06:27 PM
All I can do is wait and see how it plays out. I'm hoping Len is correct and it's pretty much normal.

The whole point is, in my ad, I stated the phone had "no issues". I still don't even know for sure that it does. We'll see.