PDA

View Full Version : Never heard of this scope sighting technique....

Big Muddy
12-27-2014, 04:12 AM
I read this article in one of our state hunting magazines, recently....I've never heard of this scope sighting technique....and, to be honest, I don't fully understand it.

"""When you open up that Christmas present and find a brand-new scope for your rifle, what is your first thought?

If you’re like most of us, you just bolt it on the top of your rifle and head to the range to run round after round through the barrel while zeroing in the reticles.

But Gonzales gunsmith and former Marine Larry Townsend Sr. said that’s absolutely the wrong way to go about sighting in a new scope.

“What most people do is just mount the scope on the gun and then zero the scope by moving, say, 15 clicks right,” Townsend said. “But what that does is moves (the reticles) so far out of the sweet spot on the scope that … at 200 and 300 yards, you’re missing the target, and you don’t know why.

“All the scopes have a sweet spot, and if you get (the reticles) too far off the sweet spot, the farther out you go, the farther off it’s going to be.”

And by just slapping the scope onto a rifle and then zeroing in the reticles, you’re almost guaranteeing there will be downrange problems.

To zero a scope properly simply takes the extra step of using a handheld mirror to determine if the front and rear reticles are in matching positions.

“If you take your scope and put a mirror right in front of it — a little hand mirror, right in front of it — and look through it, both of the reticles should match up to show one reticle,” Townsend said. “What that tells you is ... when you only see one reticle, it’s in the sweet spot of the scope itself.

“At that point, what you do is you then mount the scope to the gun. Once it’s centered, it shouldn’t be more than five clicks off either way.”

So instead of taking a box of rounds to get zeroed in at 100 yards — and risking longer shots going astray — you only need to fire a round or two.

And you can be more confident when that big buck steps out at 300 yards."""

Buckrub
12-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Dunno about "sweet spot". But it does need to be aligned.

http://www.opticstalk.com/how-to-rezero-a-scope_topic13701.html

I have one of these. Made by a friend of mine now lives here in town, no longer in the business.......
http://www.deadeye2.com/

Niner
12-27-2014, 12:50 PM
I've NEVER heard of this hand-mirror thing before today....and this is the second time I've read about it this morning!

HideHunter
12-27-2014, 12:57 PM
I agree with Bucky's link.. this only aligns the reticles - it has nothing to do with actually "sighting in" the rifle.

I had never fooled with this so - I just did. I actually set the mirror on a flat surface - then the scope on that. I have a shoebox full of old scopes I have mostly taken off "trades" in the past 30 years - and mostly straight 4X. I just checked a half-dozen. All were off some and a couple waaaaay off. Interesting. I'm not set up to lap rings and level mounts. Probably should be.

Big Muddy
12-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Man, I'm guilty-as-charged of "slapping" a new scope on a gun....done it many times, and still manage to put them DRT out to 300 yards....matter of fact, I did it last week with a brand new 4.5x14-43 Burris Predator Quest Camo scope....then, I went out, and shot a fat nanny between the eyes....(hee hee, no need in wasting any of that tasty meat. ;))

I know this isn't the correct way to do this, but after cleaning the mount and re-tightening all the screws, I always eye-ball the vertical reticle alignment to suit my personal eye preference/comfort zone because the "actual" alignment, using the vertical alignment tool, always leaves the reticle, looking cantored/slanted to my eyesight....even though in my mind, I KNOW the tool gives me the correct vertical reticle position, it is just down-right distracting to me, when I shoulder the gun....therefore, if my eyeballs are comfortable, then I am comfortable shooting my weapon.

My personal sighting-in procedure, after "slapping" the scope on the gun is to boresight, shoot one round, and adjust scope, accordingly....rarely does it take me more than four rounds to get impact within a 4 inch circle at 100 yards.

I know of folks, who use all sorta weird gadgets and technical charts, etc., and STILL shoot up a couple of boxes of ammo, trying to sight in their scope....I got news for them....it AIN'T their scope, or their gun, or their ammo, causing their shooting problem.

I mean, day'um, why make sighting-in a scope so complicated....just get it done in a way that you're comfortable with, then go hunting !!! ;)

HideHunter
12-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Pretty much the way I do it Mud - except I don't allow for any 'cant'. Bore-sight.. If I bore-sighted at all well, I should be on the paper easily. If it's a clean barrel I shoot a couple "fouling" shots at 25 yards. If they are very close together - then adjust the scope to the bullet hole (actually slightly low at 25) Move out - final adjustments - and "go".