PDA

View Full Version : what did Santa bring for you?

quercus alba
12-27-2014, 11:23 PM
I made a haul this year, Got a 48" TV and a nice stand to put it on from the boys, and I purchased an exercise bike for myself. Spent several days with my boys and daughter in laws which was worth more than everything else combined. They all got back home safe and sound and things are returning to some semblance of normal.

I just wish everybody had it as good as I do. Just goes to show that God has a special spot in His heart for the weak-minded

Thumper
12-28-2014, 12:07 AM
A bunch of switches and a lump of coal for me. :(

Big Muddy
12-28-2014, 01:05 AM
I asked wifey what she wanted for Christmas, and she said "whatever"....apparently, a riding lawnmower was not what she had in mind for"whatever". ;)

Tightline
12-28-2014, 10:54 AM
A cabin on my hunting lease. 4156

Buckrub
12-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Sure is a short outhouse!

Tightline
12-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the positive comment Bucky. To me it's warm, comfortable. And it beats the hell out of dragging a 30 ft trailer behind a 60k truck.

Buckrub
12-28-2014, 11:40 AM
No, NOT the cabin!!! That's cool@!!!

I meant the outhouse beside it!! Isn't that too short for you?

I wasn't being critical. Just wondering how you got in the outhouse???

Tightline
12-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Sorry I misunderstood your meaning. That is now up 8 ft on 4x4's and braces. It's a deer stand. You sit in a chair and look out them holes.

jb
12-28-2014, 12:05 PM
A house full of happiness, love to see 7 grand kids have that much fun.
For me an indoor mini remote control helicopter, it's been a long time since I had a toy this much fun.
Also a one cup coffee maker, it's been a long time since I received a kitchen appliance for a gift also.
Our gifts to Toys for Tots and a check to the Salvation Army were a big part of our Christmas too.
Here's to a great and happy New Year to all the folks here.

HideHunter
12-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Love the cabin Tightline. I'll bet working on the 'inside" was as much fun as the out. I'd like to hear more about that.

My wife bought me my combination hunting/fishing license for the second year in a row. Kind of a neat story. Though I have spent thousands of dollars on licenses in a couple dozen states and two foreign countries - I have never purchased an Iowa hunting and fishing license. When I turned 16 my grandparents bought me my first. They then bought them for me for Christmas. Then, years later, when they both passed - Mom and Dad started buying them for Christmas. A year ago we lost Mom. Dad decided just money was much easier (Mom was the driving force in our family. She had *huge* amounts of ambition - a family curse I thank God I did not inherit.) ;) I mentioned to my wife I would be buying my first Iowa license. So, she went and bought me one for Christmas last year.. and again this year. There's nothing I'd get more use out of and my "record" stands. ;)

By the way, we started this with my son when he turned 16 and, then with my sil when he joined the family about 15+ years ago.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
12-28-2014, 02:25 PM
A hunting/fishing license as a gift is a great idea. Several folks in our sportsman's club pay the yearly dues for family members for Christmas. At our club memberships are for families and cover spouses and all children/gradchildren under 18. A gift of the outdoors and time with the family is priceless in my opinion.

Big Skyz
12-28-2014, 06:00 PM
HH, now that is a useful gift and a great story ta' boot!

Chicken Dinner
12-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Almost as good as a plate full of scrapple cooking up on my Christmas present!

Niner
12-28-2014, 07:19 PM
My daughter got me a real nice heater for my "deer stand". Runs off of a 20# propane tank.

Man, that IS a nice cabin TL! Did you build it in sections so you can move it around if you want/need to?
That has got to be a ton better than hauling a camper trailer behind your pickup.

Tightline
12-28-2014, 07:53 PM
It is built that way Niner. I can have it loaded on a 16 ft trailer in about two hours. When/if I ever don't hunt anymore it'll look good in the back yard.

Big Skyz
12-28-2014, 07:59 PM
What is scrapple?

Captain
12-28-2014, 08:28 PM
What is scrapple?
You don't want to know.
It's nasty, and worse yet is souse meat!
I hate them both AND livermush.

Thumper
12-28-2014, 08:53 PM
People actually eat scrapple? I thought that stuff was kinda like fruitcake ... you always see it, but ya' never see anybody actually eat the stuff. ;)

Big Skyz
12-28-2014, 09:10 PM
I looked it up on the web. Looks like it would make good coyote bait. My gut is not cast iron enough to try that stuff.

Thumper
12-28-2014, 09:38 PM
What makes you think a coyote would eat it? ;)

quercus alba
12-28-2014, 10:17 PM
What a bunch of culinary heathens . Scrapple is a wonderful dish and also makes a dandy sandwich, as does liverwurst. I'll give you the headcheese (souse), it is nasty. Taste good if you don't watch it made. Next you'll be telling me you won't eat chitlins

LJ3
12-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Scrapple is gross but that is a fine looking griddle! I have griddle envy big time!

Hombre
12-29-2014, 01:48 PM
HH - Does Iowa do lifetime licenses? When I turned 16 that was my birthday present a lifetime hunting license. It has paid itself off over and over. The best thing is after moving, first to Oklahoma then to Washington, I can still go back and hunt as a resident. If I go back for another reason like thanksgiving I can still go hunting with no money out of pocket.

HideHunter
12-29-2014, 09:57 PM
age 65 Hombre.. If they'd have offered it earlier - I sure would have jumped all over it.