PDA

View Full Version : You won't hear the media praising LEOs about this kind gesture.....

Big Muddy
12-30-2014, 11:28 PM

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/27723550/geographical-mix-up-bring-pennsylvania-boy-to-chester-sc-to-hunt-with-sheriff?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

CHESTER COUNTY, SC (WBTV) -
A little boy desperately wanted to go hunting with anybody who might have taken him. So when Alex Collins saw the invitation from the Chester County Sheriff on the department's Facebook page, he jumped at the chance and wrote a letter.

In it, 9-year-old Alex said he doesn't have anyone to teach him to hunt.

"It's just me and my Mom and she's too sick to do stuff," the note explained. "She has a bad heart. I think you are really nice to do this. I hope you pick me to go."

The boy hand-delivered the letter to the Sheriff's Office, the only problem, he lives in Chester County, Pennsylvania and the invitation was from the sheriff in Chester County, South Carolina.

It was a simple mistake. It has turned into one of the most touching stories you'll see this holiday season.

Sheriff Carolyn Welsh, of Chester County, PA did some research and found out the letter should have gone to Chester County, SC. Lucky for young Alex, she had met Sheriff Alex Underwood five months ago at a sheriff's conference, so she gave him a call.

"I said, if you can get him here, we'll take him hunting," Underwood said. In a move that has turned many an eye misty, the Sheriff Welsh picked Alex Collins up early Monday morning and put him on a plane at the Philadelphia Airport.

Underwood was in Charlotte with a fleet of patrol cars to meet him.

The SC crew first took Little Alex to Academy Sports in Rock Hill where they outfitted him with $220 worth of hunting gear. Some of the money was donated, some of it came from the Sheriff's pocket.

Neither Alex could stop smiling the whole morning. They didn't see any deer Monday but the duo plans to hunt and fish until Wednesday, when "Little A" gets back on a plane to head home.

"It's just nice that we can get out here and show him a good time," Underwood said. "It brings tears to your eyes."

At one point, Little Alex even said something that made everybody take pause. Check out the video link to the story to see why.

DeputyDog
12-30-2014, 11:45 PM
That is a cool story! That's why I participate in our local "shop with a cop" each year. It's surprising how many kids who won't be getting much themselves give up part of the money they have to spend at the event to make sure they get something for one of their parents. This year we had about 130 kids and they each had $175 to spend.

Niner
12-31-2014, 06:22 AM
That IS a very heart-warming story.
I'm glad that that story made it into the news! Too bad it wasn't on the national news though. Talk about a "feel-good" news article!!!

I wonder if our buddy the Cap'n knows "Big A"? I'd be surprised if not.

Captain
12-31-2014, 07:50 AM
Yes I do know him. He was a SLED agent when I was a detective and we crossed paths several times. His son has been a major pain for him, convicted twice now for trafficking drugs. But the Sheriff is as good a man as you want to be around. He lives just below where Buckys daughter lives now.
Sheriff Kenny Boone of Florence SC also runs a hunt for kids and I've help him "guide" these children and their fathers. Sheriff Boone and I went through the FBI Command College together and have stayed friends for years.
http://m.scnow.com/news/local/article_651c1bd2-4cb4-11e3-b12f-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

Big Muddy
12-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Cap, I'm not a bit surprised that you know all those good folks. ;)

Thumper
12-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Well, he was doin' ok until his last sentence ....

Sheriff Boone and I went through the FBI Command College together and have stayed friends for years.

I guess that makes his whole post B/S 'cause we all know he ain't gots no friends! ;)

Captain
12-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Bite me Thumper. Some people don't know me well enough to not like me. :D

hotshot
12-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Great story.

Buckrub
12-31-2014, 10:20 PM
Sure you will. It was on local Little Rock news.

Big Muddy
12-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Sure you will. It was on local Little Rock news.

What?????

Buckrub
01-01-2015, 08:09 PM
He said we wouldn't hear about it.

I said sure we will. We did.