PDA

View Full Version : lending a helping hand

treyball20
01-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Over Christmas break I went over to spend some time with my brothers family. Well one night he get a page, he is on the local search and rescue, and there is a woman that is stuck and a sheriff as well. He asked if I wanted to go and of course I said yes. There is already people heading to get the lady out so we go out to get the sheriff, just him and I. It was almost a complete white out with the wind blowing snow everywhere. We get to him and pull him out of the ditch he is very thankful as he had been stuck for about 3 hours. We learn later that the lady's GPS told her to go on a road that doesn't plowed in the winter. I would hate to see her bill for the rescue.

Big Muddy
01-05-2015, 11:59 AM
TBall, that reminds me of an incident a few years ago....I was headed down a rather remote highway in a blinding rain, when I saw a young state trooper, who had hydroplaned, off into the ditch....I pulled over to the shoulder of the road, and he walked up to my truck....before saying anything else, he looked at my windshield, and stated, "Your vehicle inspection sticker expired, last month."

I said that I knew that, and would take care of it the following day....he frowned at my answer, but then asked, if I had a long chain to pull him out....I said, I had a 24-1/2 foot chain in my truck bed, but it looked like it would take exactly a 25 foot chain to reach his vehicle.

He asked me how I could possibly know the exact distance, for sure....with a wink, I said, "Well, it all depends on whether you are gonna write me a ticket for the expired inspection sticker, after I pull you outta the ditch."

I pulled him out, and we had a laugh about....no harm-no foul. ;););)

treyball20
01-05-2015, 04:40 PM
The sheriff offered to buy us a beer when we got back to town we declined our thought was it is always nice to have a sheriff that owes us one

Thumper
01-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Good for you Trey ... thanks for the "feel-good" story.

Buckrub
01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Great story, Trey! I still wanna be you when I grow up.