PDA

View Full Version : OK cooks, time to spill it.

Bwana
01-05-2015, 05:46 PM
We are having a get together at our house this weekend and one of the items we plan on serving is wings, so I am looking for a good recipe from you folks.

As of now our plan was to get them almost cooked up on Wednesday evening with the thought being we could put some sort of sauce on them and warm them up on Saturday.

Blast away.

One detail I left out was that I have 10 lbs of wings thawing in the fridge as we speak.

Big Skyz
01-05-2015, 05:54 PM
I will probably get slammed for this, but I like to try a lot of different Buffalo Wing sauces. Some are good, and some, not so much. I recently bought some of Guy Fieri's Buffalo Wing Sauce and it's really pretty good. I figured where he traveled all over the country testing out countless Diner's, Drive In's and Dive's that he would have a pretty good handle on Buffalo Wing sauce. I like it. Now the boys from the South are probably going to BBQ for endorsing Guy's product and they likely have some amazing home made concoction, but if your time is limited give Guy's wing sauce a try. Heck, now I'm hungry for some boneless wings. Might have to cook me some up tonight.

Chicken Dinner
01-05-2015, 06:00 PM
I grill mine for about 1.25 hours at 300 indirect. It renders them down almost like well cooked pork without browning them too much. Before hand, I'll marinate them for most of the day in worst. sauce and some sort of Cajun seasoning. For fairly mild wings that the whole family likes I'll heat up a bottle of Tiger Sauce with a little butter and let it cook down a bit. For spicier wings, I like mango habanero. I just did a batch of both on Saturday and they were awesome. I've seen a couple of posts on a BGE website about coating them with a little corn starch and letting them air dry in the fridge for 1-2 hours before grilling and they come our crispy like they've been fried. I haven't tried it yet and figure it'll take a couple of tries to get the mix right.

Big Skyz
01-05-2015, 06:03 PM
A wise man would listen to a guy called Chicken Dinner when cooking wings...

Thumper
01-05-2015, 06:22 PM
I don't cook 'em, but I SURE know how to eat 'em and consider myself a connoisseur of fine wings! I don't care how you cook 'em ... fried, grilled ... doesn't matter. The sauce is the deal maker!

My all-time favorite (and it'll be yours if you ever try it) is to coat 'em in Tiger Sauce. In fact, this same subject came up here years ago ... I made the same suggestion ... and if I remember correctly, that's when CD first tried it.

Cook your wings any way you want, throw 'em in a big bowl with a cover (or a gallon ZipLok bag, whatever), pour in a bottle (or a couple maybe for 10 lbs!) and shake to coat 'em. (or just pour the crap on and coat 'em .. you be the judge).

You'll never, ever eat 'em any other way after that. Trust me. ;)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81PaQfNHxGL._SY679_.jpg

Bwana
01-05-2015, 06:59 PM
I've never seen Tiger Sauce around here but will have to look.

As for cooking, is that how everyone does it, by grilling them first? What about deep frying them and then simply warming them in the oven a day or so later?

Hombre
01-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Bwana - I fry them first then heat them on a grill. I generally use frank's redhot with some butter and coat them right after they come out of the fryer.

Buckrub
01-05-2015, 07:41 PM
I'm like Sgt. Schultz on this one.

Chicken Dinner
01-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Originally they were deep fried. Lots of folks grill them now too. And, credit to Jim on the Tiger Sauce recommendation. Every time I try something different I hear it from the family.

Thumper
01-05-2015, 08:11 PM
I've never seen Tiger Sauce around here but will have to look.

We used to buy it at Walmart but haven't seen it lately. Don't know if they're always out or if they quit carrying it. (???) You may want to call these places as they look like they're close to you ...

Wal Mart Supercenter
1400 Skyline Blvd
Bismarck, ND 58503
(701) 323-0530

Cash Wise Food Mart
1144 E Bismarck Expy
Bismarck, ND 58504
(701) 223-8771

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2015, 08:14 PM
My recipe is a whole lot Hombre's. That Frank's is aome good stuff. Something good for a little different kind of hot is to douse 'em with Rooster Sauce after they come off the grill or out of the fryer.

BKB

LJ3
01-05-2015, 09:14 PM
I hear ya CD. Every time I change things up I get lots of flak from the family until they shove a wing in their pie holes :)

Lately the family favorite is grilled as hot and crispy as possible, toss in a metal bowl with melted butter and copious amounts of old bay in the butter. It's seriously good. Some of us keep franks wing sauce on the able for the occasional dunk as well.

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2015, 10:34 PM
I never thought of Old Bay on yardbird. i'll have to try that.
BKB

Niner
01-06-2015, 06:34 AM
I've done them grilled (direct), and also baked in the oven. Like everyone else has said, the sauce is the key to them.
I don't make them all that often, as I'm the only one here that likes them.....and for some reason the wings never seem to go on sale like the other parts of the bird do.

When I have done them in the past, I do the melted butter and Franks Red Hot sauce. I never can seem to get them done quite as well as the local wing place does though. There's a chain down here in the South called Zaxby's that has a sauce they call Tongue Torch that is deeeeelishious. (www.zaxbys.com) I WISH I could figure out the recipe they use for their sauce!!!

One thing about wings. I don't like some of those sauces that are all heat and no taste....at least you can't taste anything after it burns off all of your taste buds. Some wing places label that kind of sauce as "Atomic" or "Nuclear". I guess "heat" on wings is kindof like with chili....some folks like it hot, and some like it crazy-hot.

My Mom makes some sweet tasting non-hot wings with Coke that she bakes in the oven. I have no idea what the recipe is, but they turn out pretty good for wings with zero heat to them.

Big Skyz
01-06-2015, 11:07 AM
If you have an Albertson's they pretty much always carry Tiger Sauce.

Thumper
01-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Niner, we tried Zaxby's a couple of times when they first opened up down here (MANY years ago), but I have to admit, we never tried their wings. We only went because we had some good coupons, but I guess there was nothing special enough about their chicken to draw us back in. (like I said, we have NOT had their wings, so that may be a different story)

Decent fried chicken is so common nowadays, it's almost not worth the mess to fry at home. Heck, even most of the grocery stores down here have decent fried chicken. (Popeye's is our favorite chain chicken) But, Lynn always makes the wings at home. We do Franks occasionally or a Thai Chili Sauce to change things up ... but my favoritist in the whole wide world will always be the Tiger Sauce. Niner, wings (raw) seem to sell at a premium, but we always get great deals away from the major chain supermarkets. We buy most of our wings at a big Asian market in Tampa for dirt cheap, or sometimes here in town at a small supermarket chain called Bravo (no sure where all they're located). They cater to mostly the Hispanic population. Think outside the box, steer away from the norm and you can find some great bargains on wings.

quercus alba
01-06-2015, 01:21 PM
call me old fashioned but I like to roll mine in flour with a little salt and pepper then deep fry. Hard to beat the classics

Thumper
01-06-2015, 01:43 PM
call me old fashioned but I like to roll mine in flour with a little salt and pepper then deep fry. Hard to beat the classics

My uncle thinks his '59 Studebaker is a classic. ;)

http://www.cars-on-line.com/photo/58900/59stude58954-1.jpg

Trav
01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
ok let me throw this out, It's different but it's awesome. I make this all the time.

I use red Boat fish sauce.

1/2 cup Asian fish sauce
1/2 cup superfine sugar
4 garlic cloves, 2 crushed and 2 minced
3 pounds chicken wings, split at the drumettes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
1 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped mint
In a bowl, whisk the fish sauce, sugar and crushed garlic. Add the wings and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 3 hours, tossing the wings occasionally.

Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a small skillet. Add the minced garlic; cook over moderate heat until golden, 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°. Pat the wings dry on paper towels; reserve the marinade. Put the cornstarch in a shallow bowl, add the wings and turn to coat. Fry the wings in batches until golden and cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Drain on paper towels and transfer to a bowl. In a small saucepan, simmer the marinade over moderately high heat until syrupy, 5 minutes. Strain over the wings and toss. Top with the cilantro, mint, and fried garlic and serve.

Thumper
01-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Sounds similar to wings I get in Thailand Trav ... they sometimes sprinkle on a few sesame seeds also.