PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend Again

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Getting ready to take my old dog Zuzu, 16, to the vet to put her down. She's gotten very feeble in the past couple of days and I'm not going to let her suffer any more indignities because of it. This dog was an athlete and would have made a fine hunting dog if I'd have worked with her more. But I didn't and she had to settle for loyal companion and supreme entertainer of the family for the years she lived. Zu was never the sweet old dog that my last springer, Annie, was (had to put her down at 16 too just a couple years ago). Zu was the hard charger rock digger upper, swimmer under water halfway across the pool in search of a kong, and constant pesterer of the other dogs in the house. She literally grinned her way through life. Its only been recently that she's seemed sad and that's at lest a part of why this is the right time. At least I can hope I'm making the decision at the right time. Got her all cleaned up for some reason before we take and soon as I can settle down a bit, it'll be time to go. ]

What a great friend to have to say goodbye to.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-07-2015, 03:38 PM
She's a beauty and sounds like my kind of dog. Hang in there, my friend.

DeputyDog
01-07-2015, 03:46 PM
That is tough duty. I feel for ya.

Big Skyz
01-07-2015, 03:59 PM
This is one of my least favorite things to endure in life. It isn't fair, but a lot of things aren't. This stings worse though, than most unfair experiences. She sure is a beautiful dog. I kind'a like the personality you described. Sounds like life was never boring with her.

LJ3
01-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Sorry buddy! It ain't fair and it's a tough thing to endure. She's a beauty for sure! I remain convinced that wonderful things happen to a dogs spirit.

Thumper
01-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Well, I had the pleasure to meet both Zu and Annie a few years back and have no doubt you dread having to put Zu down also. Good luck with it ... that's super tough duty and one I always dread myself. Lynn can't handle it at all so I'm always the one that has to handle these type situations. I don't care how much of a tough guy you think you are ... putting a long-time pet down will break you. Sorry to hear this.

johnboy
01-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Pretty girl! Two things you'll always remember about your dog - they day you got them and the day you lost them. My sincere condolences. I know what you're going through. One of the reasons it's taken us over two years to get another one.

Big Muddy
01-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Barry, there's a reason they're called "Man's Best Friend." Tough to do, but it becomes necessary. Prayers for you and your family.

Captain
01-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Very hard duty there Posty. I'll be thinking of yall...

Captain
01-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Very hard duty there Posty. I'll be thinking of yall...

LW
01-07-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm very sorry bud. You gave her a great life. And she gave you the same.

Arty
01-07-2015, 09:14 PM
That's terrible to deal with. I feel for ya'

Bwana
01-07-2015, 10:13 PM
It's just not fair that such good dogs don't live longer. Sorry for what you had to do BBP.

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Thanks y'all. A trying day to say the least. That's two dogs in two years. The good news is the youngster learned almost all of both of her auntie's bad habits. So with luck we won't have to do this again for several years.

BKB

Fido
01-08-2015, 09:55 AM
This is tough! Why are old dogs so human???? Condolences!!

Niner
01-08-2015, 04:40 PM
BLAST!!! Sorry you had to put your ol' pal down, BBP. That's got to be one of the hardest things that a man has to do.....and why I just can't even think of getting another one. I'm glad you had the foresight to get that pup early on. Pretty smart thinking right there.

You'll always have good memories of a great friend. You did the right thing for her, letting her go when you did.

Excuse me......gotta go get myself a tissue. Must be alergy season or something. :(

Sunshine
01-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Sorry to hear you had to let go of your pup.

God sure has been getting a lot of good dogs this year.

Our agility club lot 8 dogs this year and 5 last year.
Six, from this year, were cancer related.

Been through it many times and always say I'll never get another one, because it hurts so bad.

Someone once told me, every time we loose a dog to heaven, a piece of our heart goes with them, but when we get a new one it helps fill the hole in our heart.

You did the right thing, even though its not what we dog owners want to do.
(((((((Hugs))))))