PDA

View Full Version : Before, during, and after the electrical short.....

Big Muddy
01-09-2015, 06:17 PM
An aquaintance lost his battery-powered UTV yesterday, as a result of some sort of electrical problem....if any of you own one, be careful....this could have been dangerous!!!

Thumper
01-09-2015, 07:55 PM
That sucks. It got me to wondering ... does any sort of insurance cover something like that? Never thought about it before, but as pricey as those things are getting, I wonder if anyone insures them? I'm guessing he's added some electrical items (lights, winch, radio???) and his electrician skills may come into question here. (?) Was it stock? Warranty maybe?

BarryBobPosthole
01-09-2015, 07:56 PM
I guess I never thought of an electric ATV but it makes perfect sense. I mean its basically a foshizzle golf cart right?

BKB

LW
01-09-2015, 09:58 PM
I have a buddy that had one. It was nice but had some definite limitations.

Niner
01-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Looks like it USED to be one of those Bad Boy Buggies ( http://www.badboybuggies.com/Home/sport.aspx )
VERY expensive 4X4 electric golf cart.
Talk about a bunch of $$$ going up in smoke. :(

I've given up on four wheelers (wheelies as Bucky calls them).
We have two jacked-up GAS powered "golf carts"....both OLD Yamahas. One at The Farm (G9), and one at the house (G11).

They do a real good job for us. I'd LOVE to have a Polaris Ranger, or a Kubota RTV, or even a Gator....but these units get 90% of the jobs they would do at a fraction of the price.

DeputyDog
01-10-2015, 10:01 AM
I've got my boat and pwc's covered under my homeowner's insurance. I'ed think you could do the same with these or some companies offer separate policies on boats, snowmobiles, atv's etc.

Big Muddy
01-10-2015, 10:40 AM
As Dep Dog stated, they are insurable....just depends on the ins. company, as to how it's done....some just add it to the HO policy, while others require a separate policy....this burned one was used on a farm, so it was prolly covered under his farm policy....at least I know he hopes it will because I think he paid about $16,000 for it.

Btw, it was not a Bad Boy buggy, but a similar UTV competitor....this one was a hybrid....when the batteries got low, a gas engine would kick in, and re-charge the batts., and run the vehicle, as well.

I looked at the Bad Boy buggy before purchasing my Ranger, and I just don't like the idea of all that additional weight of all those batteries, or relying on something electrical to get me thru this heavy MS mud....one guy told me that his had completely torn up all his roads, as well, from all that battery-weight, making deep ruts.

I think they would be fine on pretty dry ground for turkey hunting the ridges, or doing routine farm chores, but I want some big strong horsepower for heavy hauling, and getting thru this MS gumbo mud.