PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready

BarryBobPosthole
01-11-2015, 05:02 PM
The hue and cry and weeping and gnashing of teeth from the Cowboy faithful will be deafening.

Good call from what I could see.

BKB

Buckrub
01-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Close.

Buckrub
01-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Here's my take.

EVERY single replay, college and pro, that involve the ball carrier/catcher stretching out the ball to get extra yardage, goes against them. Every single time, if they'd simply pull the ball into their body and go down, it'd be a great play. But they never do, and it invariably backfires.

That said, the pro rules for a 'catch' are insane. Two feet inbound? Why? What's that for? Used to be "Well, if they WOULD have come down in bounds, but they were pushed out, yada yada" and I think that one is gone. But now it's "Did he make a football play?" WTHO? What does that mean? They're in uniform. Every play is a football play. That's crazy, and puts too much emphasis on a 50 y/o ref's interpretation. I thought the ground couldn't cause a fumble? But sometimes it does, it did that time.

College football is so far ahead of pro football it's not funny. But this is the time of year I watch..........and since I like ESPN, I get to see both!! :laughing

Big Muddy
01-11-2015, 05:35 PM
I thought it was a completion....however, maybe poetic justice from last week's Det. game....agreed about the pro rules being archaic.

BarryBobPosthole
01-11-2015, 05:40 PM
You need to know the rules beforeyou can call them archaic. There's enough rules in pro football that favor tye offensive player. They should have to make a very demonstrable catch if they're going to run down the field in yoga pants and catch a football. Per the rules, it wasn't a catch. And never will be.

Jason Garrett handled it with class. I hope the Cowboys know what they've got inthat coach. I doubt they do though.

BKB

Buckrub
01-11-2015, 07:22 PM
And if/when you do know the rules, you'll know they are archaic!

In 10 years, pro football will be two hand touch with 7 on a side.

HideHunter
01-11-2015, 07:54 PM
God, I'm glad I don't care...

Buckrub
01-11-2015, 08:28 PM
I kinda don't either, anymore. I think I just realized that.

Chicken Dinner
01-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Karma is a b!tch.

Buckrub
01-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Karma Johnson? Nah, she was ok.

Arty
01-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Like a baby...

DeputyDog
01-11-2015, 10:07 PM
The NFL can't have it both ways. This play where it's an incomplete pass after he takes 3 steps and stretches for the goal line and loses the ball when it hits the ground, and the punt in the Colts/Broncos game where the receiver doesn't have time to move at all before getting hit and almost knocked unconscious and loses the ball when he hits the ground and is considered down by contact.

Niner
01-12-2015, 07:36 AM
I KNEW there was a reason I preferred college ball to pro ball.....I just KNEW it.

BarryBobPosthole
01-12-2015, 10:56 AM
The rule has always been, as it is in college that the ground cannot cause a fumble but it can cause an incomplete pass and a receiver must maintain possession all the way to the ground and has to complete theprocess. Some of that might be subjective but it was clear that the ball popped out of his hands when it hit the ground and anything he did after that doesn't matter. As for the 'football move' that's the subjective part. I've seen the same exact call in college ball too.

Man up, Cowboys. And remember the old adage told to me by the King of Norway...cowboys don't cry and indians don't give a fuck.

BKB