PDA

View Full Version : AA Battery Charging Question

Buckrub
01-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Got some of the Eneloop AA High Capacity batteries recently, and a charger. Going to use in my game cameras. Tired of paying for Lithium non-rechargeables.

So.........why can't I recharge regular or Li-Ion batteries even if it says "Not rechargeable"??? What makes a battery rechargeable anyway?

I put four Li-Ion non-rechargeable batteries in the charger, plugged it in, and the lights came on fine. Why won't this work?? What will happen?

Big Muddy
01-14-2015, 03:21 PM
I put four Li-Ion non-rechargeable batteries in the charger, plugged it in, and the lights came on fine. Why won't this work?? What will happen?

DANGER !!!! You gonna blow up yo azz, yo house, yo boat, yo camper, and all of yo fish-cooking grease !!!!
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
(just kiddin'.....I have no idea what will happen.) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Its likethat tag they used to put on pillows: "Do not remove under penalty of law".

There's just some shit you should never question.

BKB

Buckrub
01-14-2015, 03:27 PM
I used to respect all y'all's opinions about stuff...........................

Buckrub
01-14-2015, 03:52 PM
I just stuck two non rechargeable AA Li-Ion batteries in the charger and charger lit up, and finished, saying they were charged. Don't have tester (need one) but stuck in a flashlight and they worked fine.

Cards01
01-14-2015, 04:43 PM
that will be interesting if they actually charged and work

Niner
01-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Ditto.

Also....while you CAN use a penny as a fuse in the old-sdchool fuse-box in your house. Please don't.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 04:16 PM
I agree with Niner ... IF they don't explode on ya' ... they'll take a light charge ... once or twice.

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 04:21 PM
They didn't explode, and they took full charge, and work fine. Dunno why, or how many times they will, but they did. Beats me.

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Sure, mess around with antimatter and the space time continuum and see what it gets you. All to save a buck on some cheap ass batteries.

BKB

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Voice of reason.

Seldom appreciated sufficiently.

Captain
01-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Prediction:
Bucky will start a thread by next deer season talking about how his wiz-bang trail camera no longer works.
Reason the insides of a recharged non-rechargeable battery leaked all out inside it and ruined it.
Buckster you ARE going to ruin some of your battery operated stuff doing that crap...

Niner
01-16-2015, 01:03 PM
ALSO....
I have had less-than-good-luck using rechargeable batteries in trail cams and such.

For example, I tried them in a Plot Watcher cam. A set of Alkaline batts will last 7 days in that unit. The rechargeable ones that I used only lasted about 4 days....IF I remember right. NOW, I don't remember what the ma rating was on them for sure, but I'm pretty sure they were 2500ma/h ni/mh batts. 2500ma/hr is about the highest rating that I have found on rechargables regardless of their chemestry.

I've seen those alkaline battery rechargers in vaious catalogs for years. So, they ain't nuttin new.

Back when I was working we'd sometimes take ni-cad batts that would no longer take a charge and zap them with a high current DC source. They would then charge and work again.....for a while. What happend in the case of those ni-cad batts was that they would get "crud" built up between the plates of the battery and by zapping them with that
DC source we were "blowing" that crud out. At least that was the theory. Could have just been FM at work.

Here's another little battery tip. If you have a bunch of alkaline batts stockpiled (OK, so you got a KILLER deal on them down at the SAMS....), they will be "healthier" if you can find a spot in the beer fridge to keep them. Regular batts like to be cool.

Buckrub
01-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Hmmm.

The AA Li-Ion Energizers I used this last year lasted all season........maybe Nov 8 till Dec 18, and still showed 'full charge' on the camera indicator. These are the batteries that I put two of, into the rechargeable charging unit (charger) and they appeared to charge back to full. Didn't take long, as they were still mostly charged. Trailcampro guys say those batteries should last close to a year in normal conditions.

I have NOT used the rechargeable AA yet. But if they last a week and need recharged, I'm gonna be one ticked off dude! I also have only used them in the Browning camera. The Primos I got in exchange, I have not used at all yet. I do plan to use rechargeables, and I'm using AA Eneloop Pro BK-3HCC with 500 recharges possible, and 2450 mah, Ni-MH.

(The Leopuld RXC-1 cameras I have are for sale on ebay).

Big Skyz
01-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Rechargeable have one or more electrochemical cells and are a type of energy accumulator. Known as a secondary cell as it has the ability to be recharged and reused. Non-rechargeable batteries cannot be recharged for multiple uses. The battery can be used only once after which it should be discarded.

A non-rechargeable battery, or primary cell, will overheat if placed in a battery charger. When the non-rechargeable battery overheats the seals will eventually break, causing the battery to leak or explode. If the battery explodes the chemicals will spread all over the immediate area, which is serious health hazard.

So in short, stop being stupid and setting yourself up for a bigger problem.

Buckrub
01-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Geez guys.

I usually think y'all joke with me.

But good grief. I am not an idiot, regardless of what y'all think.

I asked a question.........not just on this board, but on some others where there are some electrical engineers, etc. It was a question of curiosity more than anything else. It had to do with Li-Ion batteries, not normal Alkaline, or lead acid. I know what the restrictions claim to be! I know what the lawyers say. I know what the instructions say. I wanted to know WHY a Li-Ion battery could not be recharged.

These are the batteries I'm discussing:
http://www.amazon.com/ENERGIZER-LITHIUM-AA-4-PACK/dp/B001SQNY08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421433614&sr=8-2&keywords=eveready+lithium+aa

What I got, from Electrical Engineers, Electricians, and others.....was that "We don't know for sure". I got some of that here too.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

So I tried it with one battery. It charged. It then worked perfectly in a flashlight.

That doesn't prove it won't leak. Nor that it won't lose power life faster. Or any other negative outcomes. But it does prove that the space-time continuum is left basically unmolested, and my house is not afire.

I sometimes forget, I guess. I have always thought of this place persackly like a Campfire. You sit around and kick the fire, and talk about stuff......some stuff that is maybe nuts. You throw stuff out there, and chit chat about it........and stimulate your pea brain.

But........ maybe I need to just stop being a Contrarian to Life's Events, or at least be more like y'all in that regard....and just never challenge the status quo, for fear of who-knows-what. Or maybe just keep doing the same stuff, but talk about it less here.

Nah.

Big Skyz
01-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Just trying to keep you in one piece Bucky.

Buckrub
01-16-2015, 02:52 PM
That's my life long goal too.

I appreciate it, honest.

Big Muddy
01-16-2015, 03:45 PM
What Sky said !!!.....along those same lines, and not to be a curmudgeon, but bad sheeit happens, when folks sometimes try to circumvent even the most trivial instructions.

This pic was in this week's local paper of a couple who are dear friends of ours....they lost everything in the house fire, including three vehicles.

They escaped with the clothes on their backs, and nothing else.

The husband had purchased a clip-on 110 volt light to heat his dog house, which was under the carport....it was rated for a 100 watt bulb, but he replaced it with a 500 watt spotlight because it was so cold.

It somehow ignited some of the dog's bedding, and fire spread throughout the carport, and then the house.

Buckrub
01-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Dang. Man, sorry to hear that.

BUT, I wouldn't consider putting a 500w bulb into a 100w receptacle 'trivial'! That's pretty serious.

Few weeks ago, friend of mine almost burned up his ATV. We drove through some real piney thickets, and he got dry pine needles all in it, under seat, etc. Well, unbenownst to me or his son in law, he stuck a 9v corn feeder battery under the seat. The thin metal wire holding the seat up hit both electrodes, and shazaam. His son-in-law and I were in it, he wasn't.......and we were working on a stand and BAM.........we looked and it was ablaze!! My .45 was lying on the seat next to the fire. We put it out, with orange vests and hats and whatever we had. But it was touch and go for a minute. He learned to NOT do that, and we learned to look all through HIS stuff before we drove HIS atv.