PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I'm an old fart ...

Thumper
01-14-2015, 06:27 PM
We're going out to a Graham Nash concert tonight and Lynn has no clue who he is. :(

Oh well, it should bring back memories of my old Hollies 8-track as well as my Crosby, Stills and Nash (later CSN & Young) 8-tracks.

Should bring back memories of my early, more carefree days.

Later dufes ... I'm gonna take a few hours and mentally go back to the days of long hair, free love and doobies. :D

BarryBobPosthole
01-14-2015, 07:04 PM
I have a friend who liked him so much he named his oldest son after him. He was also lucky enough to run into him at the San Fransisco airport and talked to him for quite a while. Hell I wouldnt recognize him if I bumped smack into him.

BKB

HideHunter
01-14-2015, 09:06 PM
We had one of his cars when I was a kid.. Pretty dependable - got good mileage.

BarryBobPosthole
01-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Nice fender skirts too I'll bet!

BKB

HideHunter
01-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Nice fender skirts too I'll bet!

BKB

and a Continental Kit! ;)

Thumper
01-15-2015, 01:03 AM
Crosby ( known him 20-25 years) and called this afternoon to say they're in town for a last minute booking. Nash is running around Florida on tour and has to play in Ft. Lauderdale on Friday, but squeezed in a last minute booking here in town. We got the call around 3 this afternoon that there would be 4 tickets (7th row) waiting at the Will Call window and to come over early so we can b/s a while.

David Crosby and yours truly. :beer

We slipped in early and the theater was ready to go.

So, here we are earlier in the otherwise empty theater ... b/s'ing with Lynn and two of our closest friends (Subway) who met us there. (They've known him forever!)

Thumper
01-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Ha ha! Naaaa, I'll fess up. This is an old friend who's actually the Road Manager for Crosby, Stills & Nash (name's Crook). CS&N all do concerts sometimes as a threesome, sometimes a duo or sometimes alone and it keeps him hopping. Nash stopped here in town last night for an "impromptu" concert (I never even saw an ad) with little to no advertising and still filled the house. He had a couple days between gigs, there was an open night here, so he made the stop. We didn't even get the call until late yesterday afternoon.

Crook also runs "decoy" for Crosby at times because of the resemblance. Evidently, Crosby hates signing autographs, so there are times, like a mad dash into a hotel or venue, when Crosby will rush through a crowd with his head down and Crook will wave at the crowd to steer attention toward him. Once they realize he's not who they thought he was, Crosby is already in the building. As we were talking last night, people kept stopping and chatting thinking he was Crosby and wondering why he wasn't performing with Nash. :D

Cool guy and a fun person to be with. I first met him many years ago when he was the Road Manager for Joan Baez and I was invited to a performance over on the coast. Other than Baez, he was with Jackson Browne for years, Crosby, Stills & Nash off and on for many years. Heck, he was Road Manager for the Rolling Stones up until 2012 when he got engaged (married her last year).

Here's the happy couple. I wish them all the happiness in the world. She couldn't have snagged a greater guy.

LJ3
01-15-2015, 10:52 AM
I was gonna actually call you personally. Uhhhh, Dude? That ain't Crosby :)

Thumper
01-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Yeah ... I was gonna finish the post last night with the real story, but my computer started it's automatic updates and slowed down so much, I went to bed. Figured I'd finish the post this morning.

You'd be surprised how many people thought he was Crosby last night and he said he goes through that everywhere they play.

LJ3
01-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Well, in case anyone ain't paying attention. It's pretty obvious he's doing it on purpose. There are other grooming options he could choose :)

Thumper
01-15-2015, 12:14 PM
I've known him 20+ years ... he's always looked like that. Heck, he was the tour manager for Joan Baez in the 80's and didn't look much different. 'Course the hairline recedes a bit more every year. ;)

LJ3
01-15-2015, 12:36 PM
And David Crosby has looked like that for 40 years :)

Thumper
01-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Well, they're setting up in Lauderdale right now. I'll be sure and text him to let him know you've outed him about his "man-crush".

LJ3
01-15-2015, 04:42 PM
More like creepy-sketchy-stalker built-a-shrine-to-crosby-in-his-moms-basement type :)

Kidding, he looks like a fun dude to party with. If you and him get to swappin stories things could get deep real quick!

Thumper
01-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Been there, done that. He just returned from a S.E. Asian tour ... Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines ... we swapped a few lies last night. :D