PDA

View Full Version : Run Silent Run Deep

BarryBobPosthole
01-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Its one of those movies I think I've sat and watched every single time I've noticed its on. Its on MGM HD now. Another of the same genre is "The Enemy Below" and it was on last night.

BKB

DeputyDog
01-14-2015, 10:22 PM
Das boot.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 12:09 AM
Love those movies! They should have a marathon and throw in "Hunt for Red October".

When I was a kid in the late 50's, there was an old B&W TV show that I NEVER, EVER missed. It was called "The Silent Service". Each episode was opened with an Admiral speaking and he'd tell the background of the upcoming story. They were all true stories that were reenacted, but they always showed a lot of actual Navy footage. I think it was at the end of every show, they'd have an interview with an actual crew member from the sub featured in the program and he'd recall details of the mission. Man-o-man, if they brought that show back, I'd watch every episode all over again. I loved the beginning of each episode ... it showed a sub breaching as it surfaced.

I'd forgotten all about that show until this post. Gonna take a quick look at YouTube and see if any clips are available.......

Thumper
01-15-2015, 12:15 AM
Cool! Here's a whole show! It's the only one I could find. Here's the preface ... sounds like they may be trying to post more of them!

One of the classic TV shows of the 1950s and much beloved by an entire generation of boys who grew up in that decade, SILENT SERVICE ran for 78 episodes between 1957--1958. "The SS Tinosa Story" aired in 1957 and starred Murray Hamilton, William Phipps, Brett Halseyand Britt Lomond. The plot unfolds with the USS Tinosa trying to penetrate the sea of Japan using "Hell's Bells" type sonar to cross the guarding mine fields. (In WWII, Tinosa completed twelve war patrols in the Pacific and was credited with sinking 16 enemy ships, totaling 64,655 tons.)

Created by California National Productions, this syndicated anthology television series was based on actual events in the submarine service of the U.S. Navy. The show was hosted by Rear Admiral Thomas M. Dykers, who began each episode with the refrain: "Tonight, we bring you another thrilling episode of Silent Service stories, of warfare under the sea."

Almost all of the episodes focused on the history of specific submarines, including many war stories. Many actors who appeared on The Silent Service, surfaced in other classic television shows including Russell Johnson, DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy, Jerry Paris and Liam Sullivan, Eric Morris, Joe Conley, Mike Connors, Lawrence Dobkin, Ron Hagerthy, Adam Kennedy, Robert Knapp, Paul Richards, Bing Russell, Craig Stevens, Dennis Weaver and Stuart Whitman.

This was a great show that aired when a lot of military-related series were on TV: "Flight", "West Point", "Annapolis Story" and "Navy Log" to name a few. Unfortunately it never went into re-runs so it's very rarely seen -- something we hope to address via Youtube.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g1nESHgqAnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DeputyDog
01-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Another pretty good sub movie is Crimson Tide.

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Watched Battle of Britain after that. Just to watch Susannah York. Man was she ever hot back in the day.

BKB

Thumper
01-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Watched Battle of Britain after that. Just to watch Susannah York. Man was she ever hot back in the day .BKB

That sucks ... you know you're old when you talk about HOT wimmins you lusted over .... and then have to end with ... "back in the day"!

Sucks to know she passed away a few years back and that she was OLD! :(

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 10:48 AM
If I run deep, it ain't ever silent.

LJ3
01-15-2015, 10:51 AM
If you're talking about hot wimmin that have died from old age.....

Captain
01-15-2015, 01:48 PM

Niner
01-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Some years ago, I crawled around inside a WWII era sub that was on display in Charleston, SC.

The men who crewed those WWII subs had to be a different breed. Talk about small, and tight quarters. The movies that you see about sailors on those subs do not do justice to the smallness of them.

If your ever in Charleston (or any other port town that has a WWII sub on display), do yourself a favor and make time to check it out.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 04:09 PM
I've been in one too Niner and agree wholeheartedly. 'Bout like being assigned to a sardine can!

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2015, 05:34 PM
I've got to climb all over the USS Alabama down at Mobile a few times and there's a Gato class sub parked right behind it, the USS Drum. You're right, I wouldn't want to be in one of those at all underwater. And I ain't got much fear of the water.

BKB

DeputyDog
01-15-2015, 07:26 PM
I've been there myself, Barry, and to the Science and Industry museum in Chicago to see the U-505.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 07:47 PM
I've prolly hit Mobile about a bazillion times myownfineself. The first time was on a family vacation when I was 13-14 yrs. old. The next time was when we lived in Memphis ... again with family. That's after they added the USS Drum. Once I started driving I've been there so many times I've lost count. After the Drum, they added a bunch of aircraft. I remember the first time I saw the Drum, it was anchored behind the Alabama and the next time I went, they had it "dry docked" in the park. As for the aircraft, I loved it when they added the A-12 Blackbird!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/A12-flying.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2015, 08:02 PM
There used to be an aircraft carrier that hung aroun d Pensacola and when I was in the service in the mid 70's it was always cool to see it when we'd head over there to hang out at the beach at Santa Rosa Island. I think it was the Lex.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-15-2015, 08:05 PM
What else is there to do in Mobile (other than gambling)? I'll be down there on bidness later this spring.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 08:28 PM
The medical museum is kinda cool. Prolly easier to just look here and take your choice.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g30709-Activities-Mobile_Alabama.html

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Speaking of the good old SR 71 Blackbird.....album cover from a really good rock and roll band from 1971.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2015, 09:16 PM
well crap. herre it is finally.
BKB

LJ3
01-15-2015, 10:27 PM
They still have the one in the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum right by me. That's an impressive aircraft to walk around.

Niner
01-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Many years ago, I was a chaperone for one of the kid's field trip over to Huntsville, AL to the Space Museum there. They had one of those SR-71s on display just outside the main entance to the building. There's another "must do" thingie....if you ever find youself in/near Huntsville, AL.

http://rocketcenter.com/overview

DeputyDog
01-16-2015, 12:38 PM
I've been past there but never had the chance to stop. My 4 year old son has developed a thing for planes recently (probably because of the movie), so I think we'll make a trip to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH this summer.

www.nationalmuseum.af.mil