PDA

View Full Version : The Government could screw up an anvil!

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 03:28 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-eases-cuba-travel-restrictions-but-vacations-still-banned/ar-AA8d0oz

Thumper
01-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Well, that's clear as mud.

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Yeah.

Y'all go on ahead, and let me know how it turned out.

Here's a valid question:

Do they be's havin' any cell towers there? If so, who's they be's?

Thumper
01-15-2015, 04:29 PM
You don't travel much, do ya'? Heck, the donkeys in Pakistan have cell phones! ;)

Yep, you'll just have to do like a lot of other countries and rent/buy a "disposable" phone there or buy a compatible SIM card if you don't have a locked phone. We can't do business with Cuba (thanks again to the embargo b/s), so there are no domestic (US) carriers there.

(just expect to pay through the nose for service)

Hello ... yes, this is Castro! (nice flip-phone Fidel) :D

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/2014/04/RTR2XBNL/748bd26b3.jpg

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Going with my normal mode of ignoring most of what you say in the interest of veracity, I found the following info:

Most Mobiles work in Cuba (USA cell phone operators have no roaming agreements in Cuba because of the USA embargo on Cuba. You need to rent a phone from outlets like CelloMobile.com), it does not depend on the ‘band’ of your phone but on your network provider, it is best to phone your service provider and check whether your particular phone will work in Cuba. You can access your providers website to get the current charges for calls and texts for Cuba and also check if they have good roaming in the area you will be vsiting .

Remember, anything incoming, other than texts, you are paying dearly for. The Code for England from Cuba is 044 (landlines) +44 (mobiles) - then drop the first 0 from the area code followed by the telephone number. You may have to apply the +44 and then drop the first zero when calling UK Mobile phone numbers. Most Mobile phone network coverage is very good these days in Cuba.

Mobile data networks and wi-fi networks are scarce and slow. GPRS is available in most cities and Edge (sometimes known as 2.5G) is available in some resort areas (e.g. Guadalavaca). What you pay for usage will greatly depend upon the contract with your service provider. Always remember your contracted download limit after which prices will rapidly increase.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Ok ... ummm ... I'm not really sure what that said that I did not. Did I miss a few minute details or sumpin'? :confused:

If you go, are you taking the phone you bought in the UK?

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 04:57 PM
I dunno.

Just bored and pulling your chain.

Yawn.....

Thumper
01-15-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm sure if you do a net search, you'll think it's ok to recharge non-rechargeable batteries also. Can it be done? Sometimes. SHOULD it be done? No. Sometimes I wonder why you ask if you plan on paying no attention to the answers given anyway.

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 05:17 PM
I always pay attention to all the answers on here to all my questions.

Do I blindly accept them all as facts, always?

No.

Sometimes folks on here are pretty much experts at some things. Sometimes they know what they are talking about, and I don't. Other times they are full of bullfeathers and just talk because they can. I have to sort out the differences. Doesn't everyone do that?

So, why should it not be done?

Thumper
01-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Well, I asked Mr. Google 'cause I know you won't believe what I'd have to say about it.

"Attempting to charge a non-rechargeable battery can cause internal gas and/or heat generation resulting in venting, explosion and/or possibly fire."

The key word there is highlighted .... "can".

http://www.iec.ch/about/brochures/pdf/tools/batteries.pdf

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Yes, I read that before I asked. I understand it says "you should not".

I asked because I couldn't figure out WHY it says that, especially for Li-ion batteries, some of which are rechargeable and some are not.

I thought maybe someone might know the details of it all.

But this was about cell phones in Cuba. You? I consider you a good expert on vehicles, tires, mechanics, etc. Honest.

Cell phones? Nah, not so much. That's Posty, Trav, Hombre, etc.

So.......that's why I ask questions, and that's how I treat the answers. So no, I don't blindly accept all answers simply because I asked a question. IF someone doesn't appreciate that method, I'd think they'd not bother answering me....which most have adopted, I'd think! :)

Thumper
01-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Well, consider this. I've traveled around the world a bazillion times and have always had a cell phone of some sort with me. I have to adjust my cell availability for whatever country I happen to be in. Unlocked phones and interchangeable SIM cards are the tits, but isn't always the best option. So ... can I explain how a transistor works? No. Can I explain how international cell coverage works. Pretty well. Am I an expert? No. So continue on, scratch my answers and just wait on one you like.

Here ya' go ... decide where you're going and pick an option.

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/stay-connected/international-cell-phone-guide

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Well...........ok. I will now consider you an expert on all matters.

I wasn't going to Cuba anyway. I was just curious about that, the question came to me. I didn't know if they used GSM, CDMA, TDMA, or what.......and how the US Carriers adjusted your usage in Cuba. Just a curiosity. I file facts as they come to me.

Seems if I ask a question, there's an 'edge' to things somehow.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 06:03 PM
The "edge" comes when you say you have a wooden popsicle stick and ask for advice on how you can make it red.

I'd say, "Paint it red".

You'd say, "No that won't cut it".

I'd say, "Dye it red".

You'd say, "Nope, not how I want to do it".

I'd say, "Lay it out in the sun and let it get sunburned".

You'd say, "That's stupid, you're looking for a serious answer and I don't know squat about popsicle sticks so you'll pay no attention to my answers".

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 06:07 PM
You have a popsicle stick?

Seriously?

I had no clue you knew about popsicle sticks. And I had no idea I couldn't spell popsicle.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 06:17 PM
I had no clue you knew about popsicle sticks. And I had no idea I couldn't spell popsicle.

Ha ha ha! Every time I typed it, it kept showing as misspelled ... I had to frigging GOOGLE it! :D

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Me too. I still don't know.

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Are there Clif Notes available for this conversation? I don't want to invest too much before I know how it turns out. Or is that Cliff Bars? Or is it Cliff Notes and Clif Bars?

A summary in haiku would be splendid. Ot at least less than twenty words.

BKB

Buckrub
01-15-2015, 06:46 PM
You've been busy, we have not.
Anger subsides when friends confide.
Importance is subjective.
Enjoy life.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Ummm, that ain't haiku.

Bucky asks questions
But he just ignores answers
So why does he ask?

Thumper
01-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Are there Clif Notes available for this conversation? Or is that Cliff Bars? Or is it Cliff Notes and Clif Bars? BKB

Technically, none of the above .... it's "CliffsNotes".

But I'm not an author, English major or heavy reader ... so ignore my answer. :D

DeputyDog
01-15-2015, 07:34 PM
My wife has an issue with Popsicle sticks. She can't touch them barehanded and will get goosebumps if you even talk about them to her.

Thumper
01-15-2015, 07:56 PM
My wife has an issue with Popsicle sticks. She can't touch them barehanded and will get goosebumps if you even talk about them to her.

Now THAT is weird! Maybe some doctor gagged her with a tongue depressor as a child. I HATE those things as I have a gag reflex like you wouldn't believe. If anything (other than food or a hot chick's tongue) touches my tongue, I 'bout barf up my toenails!

I have a phobia (is that the correct term?) for cotton balls. I get totally freaked out handling frigging cotton balls and having to pull that wad of cotton out of an aspirin bottle will send me up the wall! The weird thing is ... my dad was the same way. My brat sister used to chase us around the house with a wad of cotton and if she caught either of us, she'd rub it on the tips of our fingers. GOD that creeps me out ... ESPECIALLY if I have a rough fingernail and it catches on a rough/split part! :banghead