PDA

View Full Version : The journey to old age.

jb
01-16-2015, 08:23 PM
With my latest birthday my Doctor wanted me to establish some baseline information as to my well being.
Eyes, ears, dentist, doctor all needed a visit during the month of January.
Eyes, prescription did not change in the past 3 years,left eye 20/25, right eye 20/40 but on the right eye they found Retinal Vein Occlusion (blocked blood vessel) so more tests are scheduled. Got new glasses anyway.
Ears, definite hearing loss in the lower range where you usually find women and children voices, can get by without listening to my wife, but the grand kids are different.
Two new hearing aid, new technology, sounds I have not heard in 12 years, comes with Bluetooth, plug a little wiznit in the TV and sound goes directly to the hearing aids as if I have headphones on. Hear stuff on the TV I never heard before. Works in movie theaters too, if they have it.
Dentist, crown and filling, still have all my original teeth, Doc. said I have teeth of a 40 year old, Dental Insurance sure was helpful over the past 42 years. Get those two things fixed next week.
Doctor, my Afib is now something that comes and goes, more goes than come. Not untypical, but better than Afib all the time, not as good as no afib.
Lose 50 lbs and I'd be much better off, not going to happen.
So for some of useguys pushing Senior Status, you have this to look forward to.
SS Actuary tables say if you reach 70 you have about 14.5 more years to look forward to.

Buckrub
01-16-2015, 08:29 PM
I have way too many 'ologists'. Most of which I'm in process of seeing regularly. Wife has more issues than I do. Lots of concerns.

I really need to see you one more time, and see Troy..... buckets and lists are getting more prevalent.

I should have invested more wisely.

Thumper
01-16-2015, 08:46 PM
No major bad news is good news at "our" age! My grandfather (dad's side) died with all his own teeth. My dad died with NONE of his own teeth. I have all my teeth (except one wisdom tooth that was interfering with the one next to it, so I had it pulled).

Those hearing aids sound interesting. I showed hearing loss when I had my exit exam getting out of the Army (perfect going in, lousy 4 years later). Came from lots of shooting M-16's with no hearing protection, but mostly from having high volume Morse Code blasting in both ears for 3 1/2 years. I have to crank the tv up to hear it ... Lynn constantly lowers the volume until I only see lips moving. I guess some of that new technology is in my future. :(

Anyway, congrats on a pretty decent report .... for a dinosaur! :D

jb
01-16-2015, 08:51 PM
You and the wife are always welcome, but it's my time to visit Arkansas, never been there, must be a time during the year where it's not to hot or to cold or to humid, or no bugs and snakes..
Nice thing is it ain't that far either.

jb
01-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Thump, a good friend of mine got the same thing through VA, didn't cost him a dime.
They owe you that much.

Thumper
01-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Oh, I've already had the hearing test (Lynn forced me). They offered me hearing aids, but I declined. I figure having hearing aids is an admission of old age. Heck, the way I figure it, if I can hear the TV ... we can BOTH hear the tv! Where's the problem? :D

Buckrub
01-16-2015, 11:01 PM
You and the wife are always welcome, but it's my time to visit Arkansas, never been there, must be a time during the year where it's not to hot or to cold or to humid, or no bugs and snakes..
Nice thing is it ain't that far either.

But we got no Salmon in Arkansas!!! :)

I'm saving the last package. For what, I dunno.

We always have bugs and snakes. They are residents. It's never too cold.....sometimes it's too hot though. You ought to bring the camper, though that's quite a trip for that, and we go camping for a few weeks at our 23,093,084 beautiful campgrounds. Seniors at COE campgrounds pay 1/2......or about $10 a night! We could go to one of the central state parks, invite the Okie contingent, Ed, or anyone else willing to drive.

May is good. April is good. September is good. October is good, but hunting starts. Heck, it's supposed to be 63 tomorrow! I'm going fishing Monday......in liquid water. Back to freezing temps at night after that though.

See when you can get off work and come on down.