PDA

View Full Version : Bellichick-----Cheaters are gonna cheat....

Big Muddy
01-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Report: NFL finds 11 Patriots footballs were under-inflated

The NFL found that 11 of the Patriots' 12 footballs from the AFC Championship Game were under-inflated, by two pounds each, according to an ESPN report.

The report that came out Sunday night from longtime Indianapolis sports journalist Bob Kravitz, indicating that the New England Patriots may have intentionally deflated several of the footballs used in their 45-7 AFC championship win over the Indianapolis Colts has gained traction.

Which is to say, it's sounding more and more like the truth.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Patriots had 11 of their 12 allotted footballs under-inflated by two pounds of air (PSI) less than league regulations allow. Sources told Mortensen that the balls, which are required by the NFL to be inflated to a measure between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch, and to weigh between 14 and 15 ounces, were not within the standard.

The controversy began when Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson intercepted a Tom Brady pass in the second quarter, and gave the ball to a Colts equipment manager, who noticed that the ball was under-inflated. NFL director of football operations Mike Kensil was told after Colts head coach Chuck Pagano and general manager Ryan Grigson were informed.

Game officials are supposed to check all balls available for use in a game about two hours before the game begins, so the question remains: If the report is true, how is it that either Walt Anderson's officiating crew missed the boat, or how is it that the Patriots deflated the balls before or during the game?

"I think I've heard it all," Brady told WEEI Radio Monday morning with a laugh. "Oh, God. It's ridiculous ... That's the last of my worries. I don't even respond to stuff like this."

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was more circumspect when asked about it during his Monday press conference.

"We’ll cooperate fully with whatever the league wants us to; whatever questions they have for us, whatever they want us to do," he said. "I didn’t know anything about it until this morning ... whatever we need from the league then that’s what we’ll do."

Asked again about it on Tuesday, Belichick simply said that any questions on the matter should be referred to the league, and the league has made no official comment at this point.

After the Colts report came out, the Baltimore Ravens, who lost to the Patriots in the divisional round, expressed concern that some of the footballs used in that game might have been deflated as well -- this according to CBS's Jason La Canfora.

Why would a team intentionally under-inflate footballs? Some players believe that a ball not inflated to its required size and weight is easier to throw and catch.

Whether the Patriots did this or not, they won't get the benefit of the doubt, due to the Spygate scandal, which rocked the league a few years back. In that scandal, the Patriots were found to have illegally videotaped opponents over a period of time from 2002 through '07. New England lost its 2008 first-round draft choice, Belichick was fined $500,000, and the team was fined $250,000. It was the largest financial sanction against a coach in NFL history.

According to NFL rules, the standard punishment for any intentional alteration of game balls could result in a $25,000 fine. That's just a guideline, though, and if Mortensen's report that the NFL is "disappointed ... angry ... distraught" over the findings is correct, the Patriots could find themselves in quite a bit more hot water.

If the NFL are a serious organization, Bellichick has to be suspended for the SB. Any less will be seen as Goddell looking after another of his good friends in Rob Kraft.

Buckrub
01-21-2015, 10:21 AM
I guess I have a stupid question.

What advantage is an under-inflated ball?

Chicken Dinner
01-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Supposedly, easier to grip. I say throw the book at them. It's not about how relatively minor the cheating may have been. It's about their intent and the integrity of the game and how else they might be cheating.

LJ3
01-21-2015, 10:39 AM
AFTER they beat the hell out of Seattle, please and thank you :)

Big Skyz
01-21-2015, 11:10 AM
The is no "supposed to be easier to catch" about it. An underinflated football is easier to catch. Quite a bit easier. Go try if for yourself if you haven't picked up a football in a while. It would definitely be an advantage.

DeputyDog
01-21-2015, 11:12 AM
It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, but it seems to me that they push or break a lot of rules. I really don't like Seattle, but I hope they beat the hell out of the Patriots. (I dislike that organization to the nth degree more than Seattle.)

LJ3
01-21-2015, 11:55 AM
The is no "supposed to be easier to catch" about it. An underinflated football is easier to catch. Quite a bit easier. Go try if for yourself if you haven't picked up a football in a while. It would definitely be an advantage.

But it's the same advantage/disadvantage for both teams, isn't it? or does each team have their own private stash of balls for when they're on offense? If that's the case, then it's stinky.

But what if the refs check the pressure inside? Then bring the balls out on the field? They're gonna lose pressure.

I dunno. This smells like a witch hunt to me because this would be a very risky way to give yourself and advantage. The refs touch every single ball on every single play. Why would you knowingly risk something like that?

Big Skyz
01-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Len, I believe they have their own footballs. I know for a fact we use our own in high school. I'm 99% sure the NFL is the same way. Remember the underinflated football was discovered when one of the Colts intercepted a pass.

Buckrub
01-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Each team provides 12 footballs, and uses their own.

That's how it was discovered............the Colts intercepted the Patriots' football, and carried it to sideline.

Belichick is the same guy who used binocs to read other team's playcharts, or something like that, and got caught.

LJ3
01-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Yeah BUT... The refs touch each ball on every single play. They throw them, catch them, and place them on the down marker. They handle the balls more than every single player, save the centers and QB. If it's true this was intentional cheating, the refs were in on it.

quercus alba
01-21-2015, 01:55 PM
I think it's horse pucky.

Buckrub
01-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Yeah BUT... The refs touch each ball on every single play. They throw them, catch them, and place them on the down marker. They handle the balls more than every single player, save the centers and QB. If it's true this was intentional cheating, the refs were in on it.

Hmm.

Either that, or they are incompetent.

Hmmmm.

DeputyDog
01-21-2015, 02:04 PM
I'd say it could go either way. Looking at some of the calls lately, incompetent is possible, and with Indy, being a small market team and Peyton not there any longer, the league could want a big market team in the Super Bowl for ratings sake.

Big Skyz
01-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Len the officials are being looked at in this as well. You aren't the only wondering how they didn't notice...or did they notice???

LJ3
01-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Lord knows the league and officials love them some Brady. It's ridonkulous.

If there's any upside to this. My step-son is the most devoted, hard core Pats fan I've ever seen. His room looks like a shrine. He also talks so much smack that I will use this to silence him for quite some time :)

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2015, 08:12 PM
22 men in yoga pants, cartoonish tattoos, evilish looking face masks, and dark visors. Fans who dress in facepaint and costumes.

Yep.

Pro wrestling.

In fact, the WWF mighthave more veracity than the NFL.

BKB

LJ3
01-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Watch it you cranky ole Okie!

BarryBobPosthole
01-22-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm with QA, I think its much ado about nothing. And like Len said, the refs handle the balls on every play and if it made difference you'd think they'd notice. I saw a quote this morning by Mark Sanchez that EVERY team jacks with the footballs in some way.
I keep thinking of Tony Romo fumbling that snap from center a few years back. They use a special ball provided by the NFL for special plays and not the team provided ones. He must have gotten a ball that was properly inflated.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-22-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm neither a Seahawk, nor Patriot fan....I just despise both of their coaches....and, anyone who has ever tossed around a football, knows that an under-inflated football is much easier to handle and grip, especially in cold weather....refs were prolly wearing gloves, so they wouldn't have detected any difference....whoever deflated those footballs, prolly said, "Ohhhh Sheeeit", when the Colts intercepted that pass, noticed it was under-inflated,
and carried the ball to the sidelines, and turned it in to the coaches....it was 2 pounds psi or 16% under the required NFL pressure.

If Bellicheat didn't have such a bad rep for this type sheeit, the issue might have been minimized....and, get this, the prick called a press conference, then wouldn't answer any press questions....deja vu, he did not know about video-ing opponents defenses, a few years ago, either, but that lie cost him a half million bucks.

The Patriots get special treatment because of the money they bring into the NFL....any other coach woulda been fined and banned for a year, i.e., Sean Peyton.

Here's some interesting football inflation info. from SB Nation:

Why deflate the game balls?

Sunday's game at Foxborough was rainy and windy. Wet footballs are harder to grip, thus more difficult to throw and catch. Letting some of the air out would make them more pliable and easier for a player to handle.

Pounds of pressure or weight of the ball?

By regulation, all NFL game balls are supposed to be inflated to a range between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch (PSI). When you hear reporters talking about 11 of 12 balls found to be under-inflated by as much as two pounds, that means the air pressure in the balls was as low as 10.5 PSI. A regulation NFL football itself only weighs between 14 and 15 ounces, less than a pound.

Could the cold temperatures have caused the balls to deflate?

Temperature can change air pressure, lowering it because the molecules that make up the gas are less active. However, the weather for the AFC Championship would have deflated the balls set aside for the Colts as well as the Patriots. Only the Patriots balls were found to be deflated.

Wouldn't the deflated balls help the Colts too?

No, because each team has their own balls for use when its offense is on the field.

Per NFL rules, each team has 12 balls they use on offense. The home team is also required to provide 12 more balls for backup, and visitors can bring 12 backup balls of their own if they so choose. In addition to those balls, Wilson, the company that manufactures NFL footballs, ships eight new balls directly to the officials for a game. Those are the kicking balls used by both teams, and they're kept under the control of the referees.

Why the NFL doesn't provide game balls and control them tighter than they do now is a question for another time.

How did they come to suspect the balls were deflated?

Oddly enough, it came after Tom Brady threw an interception in the second quarter last Sunday against the Colts. Linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, who picked off Brady, noticed a difference and took the ball to the Colts' equipment manager. It quickly went up the chain of command and back to the NFL.

On Tuesday night, the Boston Globe reported that the refs discovered the issue at halftime. According to the rules, the refs are supposed to replace the balls, if they find them not up to standard, with balls from the visitor.

Why didn't the officials notice the balls before the game?

That's a question the NFL investigation will likely answer.

Some basic understanding of the rules is in order here too. Refs check the balls two hours and 15 minutes before the start of the game. The balls were tested before the game, according to the rules, per Pro Football Talk.

The balls are then placed in a bag and stay under supervision until they are delivered to the sidelines shortly before the start of the game. If the Patriots did intentionally deflate their balls, it would have most likely had to happen amidst the hubbub on their sideline, with cameras and crowds all around the stadium, shortly before kickoff.

So why didn't the refs noticed the balls during the first half, before Brady's interception? According to the same PFT report, a ball under inflated by two pounds wouldn't be noticeable unless the refs were specifically looking for it.

Were the balls deflated for the Patriots' Divisional round win over the Ravens too?

Several Baltimore players reportedly claimed that the kicking balls were not properly inflated for that game. It's harder to kick a deflated ball.

However, their claim doesn't add up. Kicking balls are under the supervision of officials before the game and throughout. Those eight balls, shipped directly to officials from the manufacturer, are inspected two hours and 15 minutes before the game. Teams get 45 minutes to break in those balls as well, and they go to the kicking ball coordinator after that. The coordinator works with the refs during the game to put those balls into play.

Those eight kicking balls are used by both teams, so a deflated ball would have affected the Patriots as well as the Ravens.

What will happen to the Patriots?

The rulebook says that teams tampering with balls are subject to a $25,000 fine. But this is the NFL, where the commissioner has the authority to deliver ad hoc discipline as he sees fit. If the league's investigation does determine that the Patriots intentionally deflated their game balls, most expect them to lose a draft pick and be subject to some heftier fines than the minimum.

Can the NFL overturn New England's win?

Nope. The rules do not allow for wins to be vacated in the NFL.