PDA

View Full Version : former british SAS commando?

LW
01-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Maybe somebody here can help me either confirm or put my suspicions to bed. My department has a constant flow of international paramedic students that come and do their clinical time with us. We get them from everywhere, Africa, europe, Russia, Czech Republic, South America, Middle East etc and the list goes on and on.
We had a guy right now that is claiming to be a former British SAS commando. He looks the part, very fit etc. He just talks a little too much. One of those. He talks about how he is going to start an american style EMS system for the city of Prague in the Czech Republic which is about a million people. Then he is going to work on a special rescue team in the North Sea. Basically full of shit. But if he is lying about the SAS issue, I would love and I mean LOVE to call him out. At the same time, if he is the real deal, I would like to shake his hand. Anybody know enough about the SAS to give me an idea of how to quiz him? Thump?

Thumper
01-24-2015, 10:32 AM
No help here as I have no clue if I've ever known or worked with one. The general rule of thumb is if they talk/brag about it, they're fakes. I will say, my SEAL buddy has an uncanny way of sniffing those types out. If he met the dude in person, he could probably tell you if he's real or not in about 60 seconds. I'll drop him an email and see if he can give me a suggestion to pass on. Heck, we're EXTREMELY close, have known each other a bazillion years and even I have to dig info out of him. It's not that he's hiding confidentiality ... he's simply a down to the bone true Navy SEAL. They just do not talk about their missions, BUT ... with the more modern teams, that seems to have changed and now the first thing they want to do is write a tell-all book! Who knows? It may be the same with the modern day SAS. You could try a simple test, on your next lunch break, grab him by the throat and see if he breaks your arm! :D

Seriously, I'll drop my SEAL buddy a note and see if he has any suggestions for an "innocent" question or two to ask. If your guy can't answer, refuses to answer, or spews some sort of b/s, you'll have him nailed. A couple things that may help ... do you know his age? When he was supposedly SAS? Has he mentioned any missions, locations, etc?

HideHunter
01-24-2015, 10:58 AM
I know hardly anything about it - but - there is a website called "Stolen Valor".. It has instructions for requesting records etc.

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2015, 11:00 AM
I worked with a Briitish guy that claimed to have been in the SAS too. Told a story in a bar once where he was shot out of a submarine torpedo tube in the Gulf of Tonkin to go rescue an American pilot that'd been shot down. Said that was their main mission in Viet Nam. I have no idea if he was telling the truth. He wasn't exactly a specimen if you get my drift, but sometimes those are the people who surprise you.

BKB

Thumper
01-24-2015, 11:35 AM
That could be a "stretch" P-hole, but then, who really knows? I will guarandamntee you though, if the Brits were in Tonkin, my bud would know. His team was all over the Gulf (but mostly in the Delta) ... I know some incredible stories, but I'll refrain. SUPPOSEDLY ... the Brits were not in 'Nam ... they were pretty tied up in Malaysia but were "neutral" when it came to 'Nam and really had no forces there that I'm aware of. I did know some ex-British military gung-ho types who resigned from the Brittish military and joined in with the Aussies (we had quite a few Aussies working with us), but they were NOT SAS, more grunt SF types and some Intel. There were rumors about some SAS coming in as "civilians", but I never knew any personally, IF they even really existed. That said, we did the same exact thing in Laos .. U.S. military would become "civilian workers" and manned our (CIA) "Lima sites", so I guess there's a possibility, some went back to being official military personnel after we shut Laos down in '74. Ya' never know.