PDA

View Full Version : the price of pitching

LW
01-26-2015, 08:43 PM
It sounds like I may get to find out what tommy john surgery cost. Took my kid to the arm guy in tulsa today and he feels confident that his UCL is damaged. 2 more appointments this week and we should know. He says he does a bunch of tommy john surgeries on high school kids. Says he can have him competitive in 9 months if we have to do it. I sure hoped we wouldnt be here ever but deep down knew we might.

Buckrub
01-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Knew what this was from the title.

Man.

How old???? Sure hope he turns out ok.

LW
01-27-2015, 03:08 AM
15 1/2. The doc says he does several UCL repairs per month on boys this age. He is very optimistic that if we end up at surgery that he will do really well. I just wish I would of prevented this somehow.

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2015, 08:17 AM
Its hard to know what the causes of these things are. Obviously, with that many surgeries, there's something not right. All you can do is what you think is the right thing. And know too that his ucl will be stronger after this too.

BKB

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
01-27-2015, 08:39 AM
I read a great article a few years back by an orthopedic surgeon about the rash of UCL surgeries today. His thoughts couldn't been proven but they sure made you think. He basically said that past generations of kids grew up throwing more than the kids do now. But, they threw a variety of things. Baseball, footballs, dodgeballs, rocks, apples, you name it. His theory was that by throwing the same ball too much, kids were damaging their arms. Throwing a variety of objects built stronger muscles and tendons. Makes a lot of sense to me, wish I could find the article again.

Cards01
01-27-2015, 03:25 PM
hope all goes well