PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of trucks.....

Big Muddy
01-27-2015, 04:20 PM
My truck lease ran out, so I picked this one up, yesterday....it's a 2014 Lariat, that I got a pretty fair lease deal on, since the dealer was taking in more 2015 models....it's got more options than I usually get, but I really like the backup cameras, remote starting, gps/navigation, and fold-down tailgate step....the heated and A/C seats ain't bad, either. ;)

jb
01-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Fine truck ya got there, enjoy it.

Chicken Dinner
01-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Good deal.

Tightline
01-27-2015, 07:33 PM
My new truck don't have heated seats. My other one does. I miss them. If yo as is warm then you are warm.then

Buckrub
01-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Mine heats my butt, cools my butt, vibrates my butt when I go too far right or left, and 14 other things I forget.

Nice truck, Edward. Leasing a truck??? Man. I put too many miles on 'em.

Thumper
01-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Leasing is throwing money straight into the toilet. I'm assuming you write your truck off to the farm/business ... then I can see a bit of a positive side to it. Nice hoopty!

Big Muddy
01-28-2015, 01:41 AM
I whole-heartedly agree, that leasing is not for everyone, and I certainly don't want to sound self-serving, but I'm not married to my work truck....fortunately, in my business, I am allowed to write off the truck lease....I'm just taking advantage of the IRS rules.

My truck is primarily used on the farm, so I only take out the 3 year-45,000 mile lease, with Ford's Wear-Care coverage....I've never exceeded my mileage, or had any really bad dents, scratches, or chipped glass/mirrors, etc.

This is my 12th Ford truck lease, so my dealer knows me pretty well....I don't have to worry about repairs or break-downs for 3 years....I only have to provide the routine maintenance.

At the end of the lease, my dealer calls me, and asks if I want another truck, like the other one, or maybe an upgrade....I have never paid a red cent of up-front money....that is the amount "due at signing", shown in the fine print at the bottom of the tv screen, in most vehicle lease ads on tv.

We simply negotiate a new lease, and I drive away in a new truck, every three years....and, the lease payment, usually is about 50% less than the purchase payment.

Niner
01-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Sounds like you have it figured out, mathematically speaking. Being able to claim it as part of "The Company" is certainly nice. If the revenuers want to write the laws that way, then I am super glad that you are taking advantage of it!!! And riding in a brand new truck every 3 years with no real "out of pocket cash" must be pretty nice. :thumbsup

Looks like a real nice ride, and one heck of a Cowboy Cadillac......Or I guess in this case that'd be a Cowboy Lincoln. :biggrin

I have a friend that used to own an automotive "trim shop". It was a small family business that repaired automotive seat covers, repaired convertible tops, etc. IIRC their accountant had them on a 5-year plan....where he got The Company, a new pickup every 5 years. That was quite a while back though.

Niner
01-28-2015, 06:45 AM
OH, I forgot to mention.....
I like your side-mount tool box. Do you have them on both sides?
I'll bet it's easier to get stuff into and out of than one of the "regular" ones that mount behind the cab.

Big Skyz
01-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Very nice!

DeputyDog
01-28-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm in the process of getting a new truck too. My old one, a 95 Dodge, has 215K on it and is just rusting away. I bought that one used, from a friend of mine who had purchased it new, and it was the first non-Chevy truck I'd ever owned.

It's going to be another Dodge for a couple of reasons. I really like the one that I drive for work, and I can get a heck of a deal on it through a program that Dodge offers to public safety employees.

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm starting to think about my next vehicle as well. My current truck is a 2004 Tundra and it only has 76k miles on it. I'm torn between replacing it or keeping it and buying a little two seat convertible for around town.

Big Muddy
01-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Niner, yep, I got the side-mount tool boxes on both sides....seems like these 4x4 trucks get a bit taller each year, and I could no longer reach the center area of the behind-the-cab tool box, so I had to go with the rail-mounted boxes....I've had these for about 10 years....I just transfer them to each new truck.
They are very accessible, and easy to mount....only draw-back is, having to drill three 3/8" holes in the top of the bed rail to mount and hold the tool boxes in place....I just install some rubber grommet plugs in the holes, when the truck is turned back in, and have never been docked for the holes.

DDog, sounds like Dodge is the way to go for you, especially with the LEO discount....Ford gives a $500 discount to Farm Bureau members....I missed out on that because I'm no longer a member....I wouldn't pizz down a Farm Bureau agent's throat, even if they were dying of thirtst....jmho. ;)

Buckrub
01-28-2015, 10:10 AM
*snort*
I have to carry a stinking step stool! BUT....it does double duty around here, too. :fine

And....sounds like you come out ahead in taxes (who KNEW you had an actual business? :)), but......you have a perpetual monthly payment. I drive 'em about 20 years, and most of that is payment free. Course, I have no business, and no business even thinking about business!

DeputyDog
01-28-2015, 10:31 AM
With the discount, I really can't imagine getting any other brand of truck. Like I said, I really like the '14 Dodge Ram that I drive every day at work, and with the Ramboxes that they offer, I don't need to drill any holes to have tool boxes on the sides. ;)

Buckrub
01-28-2015, 10:47 AM
One of my buddy's has the new Ram. Does neat stuff. Even rides up and down some kind of hydraulic way, when the 4wd is activated. Some kind of hydraulics. He has those side compartments in the bed. Very neat. But they do eat into the available size of the bed some. His inside is neat, two tone leather, etc. Dodge has come a long way. Hope they make better transmissions, but I think they're all about the same anymore.

Big Muddy
01-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Buckney, yep, I got a monthly payment....but, I DON'T have the worry of repairs or break-downs....even have free roadside assistance.

I guess I could just bring my trucks to you, and let you repair them with your sledge hammer and screwdrivers. ;)

Buckrub
01-28-2015, 10:48 AM
You should.

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Nice hoopie Eddie! I love the smell of new paint.
BKB