PDA

View Full Version : Sandy's first day back in the woods....

Big Muddy
01-27-2015, 05:45 PM
After a month of being laid up, her hamstring is nearly 100% healed, so she talked me into a short hunt this morning, close to home....within the first 15 minutes, she treed two nice young sow squirrels....I did the deed, and we headed back home....it took longer to walk in and out of the woods, than the hunt lasted, but didn't want to over-work her.

I was in the mood for some squirrel dumplin's, so I skinned 'em, and threw 'em in the pot, while wifey made the dumplin's....life is pretty darned good----and tasty, too !!! ;)

HideHunter
01-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Congrats eddie. Ends here end of the month. Probably won't get out again. Weather moving in. Ended up with about 85.

Saw a white one today. I killed a cream-colored one several years ago. This one was "mostly" white with some darker mottling. I saw one in the same timber 4 years ago that was pure white. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an albino. The one we saw today definitely wasn't. Property belongs to a good friend who has tons of mounts. I know if I could put him on it would cost him a couple hundred bucks. Nothing would please me more. ;)

Here's the one I got.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8437/7816740700_670998c6d4_z.jpg

Buckrub
01-27-2015, 09:31 PM
I'd mount it.

Well, not like Thump.

But I would.

Chicken Dinner
01-27-2015, 10:34 PM
Bam!

Big Muddy
01-27-2015, 11:46 PM
Hide, that's awesome, man....I haven't killed a white squirrel since high school....I've killed a ton of black squirrels, but you got me beat on those beautiful little whites.

Niner
01-28-2015, 06:51 AM
HH, y'alls greys have a different coloration than the ones we have down here. Where y'alls have a golden tone to the underside of the tail, ours is more of a light grey. If I can bust one in the next few days I'll take a snap and post it.

DeputyDog
01-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Niner, I think the one on the right is a Fox squirrel, not a Gray.

Cards01
01-28-2015, 09:01 AM
fox it is

Buckrub
01-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Foxy fox. Foxy fox squire-ell. Say it slow.

I miss 'em. Was gonna go end of this month to camp for a big 'squirrel fest', BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone, who doesn't frequent this site but who shall remain nameless nonetheless, left camp after last gun hunt and did not shut down properly. SO now it appears we have a busted water pipe at EVERY water faucet!!! Kitchen sink, two bathroom sinks, shower, outside faucet, and outside cleaning table. GEEZ!!

Annual meeting this spring is gonna be a doozy......some folks are gonna have to learn how to function or go fly a kite!

Big Skyz
01-28-2015, 10:44 AM
HH, I bet you'd get $50.00 for that white squirrel on taxidermy.net. I got a blonde rock chuck a few years ago and got a $100.00 for it on that site. Those taxidermist love the odd colored stuff.

Big Muddy the vittles are neat and all, but where is the photo of Sandy???

Buckrub
01-28-2015, 10:48 AM
You know.....he hit the white one in the top of the danged head!!

Big Muddy
01-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Sky, you are SOOOOO correct....my bad....heeeere's Sandy!!!!! ;)

Big Skyz
01-28-2015, 02:15 PM
That's mo bett'a. Wow, she camouflages right in there doesn't she!

Big Muddy
01-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Yep....and when we hunt new territory, she wears a blaze orange vest.

Big Skyz
01-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Even though I personally think the brindle is the best color phase on a cur, when I buy mine it will be a light colored White Mountain Cur. I have completely different plans for my dog than what you do with yours. I need to be able to see my dog pretty much all the time. I will be using it as a decoy dog for coyotes. Plus use it for tracking wounded game, but coyotes are the main priority. I hunted over a WM Cur last spring and I'm totally hooked. My partner had two dogs. One was a WM Cur the other was a cur/terrier cross. The cross bred dog was darker. He was tough to spot out there 300-600 yards away, but that little light colored WM Cur looked like a beacon. She was a real sweetheart of a dog around the kids too, but when it came to coyotes she had not love for those yodel dogs.

That Sandy is one great looking dog!

Big Muddy
01-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks, Sky....in dog terms, she is the light of my life!!! ;)

Niner
01-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Well doggone. Our fox squirrels are black. At least the ones we've alway called Fox Squirrels. Odd!

HideHunter
01-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Same critter Niner.. different color. We have grays here too. I've yet to kill a black squirrel (ours are fox squirrels- some have black-phase grays) and exceedingly rare. I've seen one in the wild and that was turkey hunting in the spring. The one we saw yesterday is the third white variation I have seen. Our Michigan contingent have a lot of them up there. I'd love to hunt them in the snow. ;)

DeputyDog
01-28-2015, 09:48 PM
We have mainly fox squirrels around here. The only grays are in the towns oddly enough. The black squirrels we have are color phases of the grays and all in town too. The only squirrels I ever see "in the wild" are fox or the little red squirrels. There was a run of fox squirrels around the area I live that looked like a normal fox squirrel except for having mostly white tails.

Niner
01-29-2015, 07:18 AM
I used to hunt on a lease that had some real nice hardwood ridges and hollows.....until Georgia Pacific came along (but that's another story).

This place had a plethora of both grey ("regular") and black (fox) squirrels. The foxes were a good deal bigger than the greys, and they WOULD interbreed. Funniest thing I think I ever saw there was a little grey squirrel with a HUGE black head. Must have been as big as a cat's head!

Niner
01-29-2015, 07:26 AM
AH HA! I knew I wasn't crazy......well at least about the squirrelys down here.
Here's an article on them from our DNR:
http://georgiawildlife.com/node/957

........ The slightly larger and more variably colored fox squirrel (S. niger) is also found statewide, but is less common, more habitat specific, and has more of a sporadic, patchy distribution. Adult fox squirrels range in weight from one pound to nearly three pounds. Their pelage (hair) is extremely variable, ranging from pure black to pure blond with all sorts of intermediate color schemes.

Buckrub
01-29-2015, 09:47 AM
BC, I wasn't gonna say anything, cause they're all convinced I'm an idiot, but our gray squirrels (we call 'em cat squirrels) are small, and our fox squirrels are larger, and if we see a black one it's a fox squirrel. Now, if you look REAL CLOSE and the light is just right, you can see that they are not the solid black totally, but have a tiny smidge of the reddish fox color usually. But they are clearly bigger, and run with the fox squirrels. Fox squirrels don't run with grays, but they are very much not racist and welcome the black ones readily!

Now, I did Google black squirrel when I read this, and there are clearly gray squirrels (cat squirrel) that are black. I've never seen one, though. Nor have I ever seen a white one. I'd dang sure mount either a black or a white if I got one, though.

Chicken Dinner
01-29-2015, 09:57 AM
We have a ton of black grays in my area and no fox.

Buckrub
01-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Honestly, I'm finding it very VERY interesting how the variations in squirrel populations exist across the country. I'm sure Gene or Ed knew that, but man, I never did!

DeputyDog
01-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Like I said before, all of the black squirrels in my area are grays. You can tell by the ears. Grays have bigger ears than fox squirrels.

HideHunter
01-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Yep, 'Rub. I've done a lot of research (several articles) on squirrels through out the years. I've swapped tails for fly-tying around the country. The black (fox) squirrels in GA are "grizzled" with red like you mention. I belong to a squirrel-hunting site and a rimfire site, both with some hard-core squirrelers from around the country. The color variations in the fox squirrel (by region) fascinate the hell out of me. Our own Cap'n sent me a black one with a white nose.

Big Muddy
01-29-2015, 11:08 AM
We only have the fat lazy fox squirrels in my area....they have 3 color variations....the reds are the most numerous, followed by the grays, then the blackies....I rarely shoot the blackies because they are less numerous, and are just so beautiful.

This is the last blackie I killed, a couple of years ago....actually, shot it by mistake....I didn't realize there were two squirrels in the tree....saw an eyeball, and thought it was the gray.

Thumper
01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Little easier to look at. ;)

Big Muddy
01-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Well, yeah, I guess it is easier to look at, Thump, but you do know that's not the way it's hanging on the wall, doncha??? ;)

Sunshine
01-29-2015, 05:24 PM
She sure is a pretty color and looks happy to be back in the woods.

Big Muddy
01-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Thanks, Sunny....yep, she's rearing to go, too....I am so glad our deer season ends on the 31st....landowners don't want squirrel hunters on their property until it's over....afterwards, however, my phone starts ringing....already got four invitations for us to hunt some prime hardwoods along the MS River....I plan on squirrel and rabbit hunting nearly every day in February....'course, if it's warm, I might chase a crappie, too. ;)

Buckrub
01-29-2015, 05:41 PM
My number is still in your phone. :)
Seriously, sounds like fun. We had a BIG squirrel camp hunt thingy planned for Feb at camp, but SOMEONE left water in pipes and it all busted...........major repair job required before we can stay there again!~!!!!

Big Muddy
01-29-2015, 05:48 PM
You got any squacks on your farm property?....it's not too far from Chicot...."HAVE DOG--WILL TRAVEL" ;)

Buckrub
01-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Not many. I doubt there are more than 20 per square inch.

I gotta go down there and do work on deer stands in a week, maybe 2..........sometime in Feb.......when my lessor guy friend cousin person........can help me, before he starts farming. Plus we have to dump out about 5 trailer loads of trash out of that place......we've neglected it too long.

I still am going to camp at Chicot State Park sometime........but have to check my Rock Star Schedule.........

Big Muddy
01-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Maybe Sandy and I can meet you there, and chase some tree rats with you....give me a call.

Buckrub
01-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Sounds like fun. Will do.

Thumper
01-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Well, yeah, I guess it is easier to look at, Thump, but you do know that's not the way it's hanging on the wall, doncha??? ;)

Oh yeah, I know ... unless that deer is layin' down takin' a nap. I was just strainin' my eyeballs tryin' to turn it around in my brain to get a good look at it. ;)

Buckrub
01-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Lots of room for a wide roadhouse turn.

Big Muddy
01-30-2015, 12:31 AM
Well, since you mentioned the deer, Thump, I'll show ya what the rest of the wall actually looks like. ;)

Thumper
01-30-2015, 07:16 AM
Nice! Where's the squirrel? ;)

Big Muddy
01-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Time for yo meds, boy. ;)

Buckrub
01-30-2015, 09:22 AM
As I said. LOTS of room up there.