PDA

View Full Version : O All Ye of Little Faith

Buckrub
01-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Buncha disbelievers and ain't got no faith in me. Bah to all ya.

Had an old (2003) depthfinder on my boat. Lowrance 337C. Fished with a couple of guys who are TRYING to show me how to jig fish (man it's hard, makes me think highly of Ed and Cappy more and more), and they have these neato electronics with Side Imaging, Down Imaging, etc. Plus the ability to download into unit gps coordinates.

Trouble is, they want an arm, leg, liver, spleen, child, grandchild, and money to boot for one of 'em. No way.

SO......November, Humminbird comes out with the Helix line. Sort of a downscaled version of the Onix but semi-affordable. I sell a few older game cameras (Thanks Thump for the Ebay help) and I buy one.

Took the old unit off the boat..........and boy was that hard. Cables for transducer, cables for speed wheel, cables for power, cables for networking, all routed by the boat guy under this, around that, hidden. I have no idea how I figured it all out, but I did, and finally got the old one disconnected without having to cut the proprietary plugs off of any ends.

The installation of the new one is easy.........all it has is power connection, to the fuse panel under the dash, and transducer. I already had the panduit and channel open from the disconnect, so piece of cake. Had to move the transducer location because side imaging requires 15" clearance from prop wash, which means I had to drill new holes in boat, but got that done, siliconed all holes, and it's all installed. Even had to drill holes in the old Ram Mount, cut part of it off, to make it fit the Gimbal for the Humminbird, but got all that done today.

It's installed. I don't know if it's 100% exactly in the right location vertically........but that's adjustable and I can figure out how to change it once I'm on the water and try it out. But it works, power is on, and I'm studying the manual.

No fingers cut, no extraneous holes in boat, no breakage of anything, and no anal leakage.

Woo Hoo.

Thumper
01-29-2015, 08:08 PM
The main thing that remains untested is the silicone! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Congrats! You can now see sideways and you don't even have to turn your head. As for me, my profile is my strongest feature.
BKB

Thumper
01-29-2015, 08:15 PM
By lookin' at your avatar ... I'd say that is NOT something to brag about! :hair

Buckrub
01-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Said the spider to the fly.

quercus alba
01-30-2015, 05:03 PM
wouldn't that be "the pot calling the kettle black"?