PDA

View Full Version : Catch-22? It's a vicious circle!

Thumper
02-04-2015, 10:55 AM
First, no matter how I look at it, I can't understand how illegal immigrants can get a driver's license. It just makes no sense (to me) that if someone walks into a State government office to request an official document and basically says, "Oh, by the way, I'm breaking the law because I'm not legally allowed to be here", they can't be arrested right then and there to be deported. "To me" ... that would be like me walking into the local police station and requesting an incident report to give to my insurance company for an accident I'd had the week before ... then telling them, "Oh, BTW ... I robbed a bank a few months ago." Then walking out with my report in hand. I don't care which angle I look at it, I don't understand it.

Now, "maybe" I'm beginning to understand a small fraction of the reasoning (dang, maybe I'm leaning even more toward the middle now ... politically). IF ... getting their driver's licences would also mean they'll register their cars and carry insurance, I can maybe see the trade-off ... but the whole thing still sounds goofy to me.

Anyway, what got to a thinkin' is the b/s I'm now going through with my mother. About 6 months ago, she decided she would no longer drive. She never really leaves the house anyway ... much. She goes to the hairdresser every couple of weeks, to the grocery store occasionally, and to a doctor appt. from time to time. I doubt she puts 25-30 miles/month on her car. We have a family friend who lives close to her (her house is a 30 mile round-trip for me) and this lady has been driving her everywhere she needs to go, and my mom gives her a bit of money for her troubles.

Yesterday, I spent the day with her for her birthday and she showed me a letter she got from DMV. It seems that due to her age, she's now required to go in for an eye test AND a driving test (I believe it's just the written test, but not positive). Well, she's refusing to take the test and says she just won't drive anymore ... besides, she's already quit driving anyway.

I also told her she needs to change her auto insurance to Liability only as her car does nothing but sit in the garage anyway and Blue Book on the dang thing is only $1000-$1200 ... it's just not worth carrying full coverage on. ('98 Cadillac Deville with 98,000 miles)

Now here's the catch. Without a driver's license, the insurance company will not insure the car. Without insurance, she cannot renew the registration. Without registration or insurance, it cannot be driven. So now she owns a car ... but has no license, registration or insurance. The easiest thing to do would be to simply sell her car ... but, her friend can't even take her to her doctor's appointments ... and neither can I! Reason, the family friend drives a big SUV and mom can't climb in and out of it. I drive a pick-up, same problem even though both vehicles have "running boards". Her car sits extremely low and is easy for her to get in and out of. I talked to my insurance company and was told she'd need to put the car in my name and I can insure it ... BUT ... I need to make sure whomever drives it has PIP coverage as I will be responsible for any injuries if someone gets hurt ... plus the car will not be kept at my residence and could catch fire and burn her house down, etc. etc. etc. blah, blah, blah .... in other words, it's opening a can of worms. Option two, sign the title over to the person who's driving the car (the friend) and give it to her! But then she'd have the same responsibility I'd have as it would still be at my mom's house (they have no place to park it) and what if I want to drive her someplace? ... or when my uncle is in town (he's here now), he drives her around ... usually out to eat. (he also drives a pick-up that she can't get into!)

What does this have to do with illegal Mexicans? Heck, without a dang license ... they CAN'T have legal registration or insurance even if they wanted to! I never looked at it from this angle before. Maybe giving them a license isn't such a bad idea after-all ... I mean, if we're NOT gonna deport them anydamnway.

In the meantime ... I still have my mother to deal with. Crap ... I may just tell her to call a frigging cab if she wants to go anywhere ... or to just move in with Bucky's mom! ;)

Buckrub
02-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Citizenship requirements are that you must be in this country five years before applying. Makes no sense but I believe that's the rule.

One of them hit my buddy's son's truck one time. From Ecuador. No license, no insurance, someone else licensed the car for her.

Nothing makes sense to me anymore.