PDA

View Full Version : My recent squirrel hunt....

Big Muddy
02-06-2015, 11:17 AM
I must confess, I was so tired when I got home, I completely forgot about taking any pics, so just slap my forgetful ole azz....Sandy and I were invited to hunt with some buddies at one of the most exclusive hunting clubs along the MS River....actually, I think the invitation was more for Sandy, than me ;)....she's gotten somewhat of a "reputation" in the squirrel hunting circles, around here. ;)

WOW, I didn't know folks had that much money to spend on recreation!!!!....their 50 member lodge looked like that Bass Pro Cedars lodge!!!....we hunted one of their many parcels of land that was about 400 acres of solid hardwoods, which actually looked like it had never been timbered....the red and white oak trees looked to be over 120 feet tall, and well over 100 years old....just guessing, but their diameters were in the 6-7 foot range....several of the guys were shooting high-brass 12 gauge loads, and the shot pellets couldn't even reach the top branches of those towering oak trees.

We hunted from noon to dusk-dark, and Sandy treed at least 35 squirrels....the problem was, the trees were just tooooo frigging tall....the squirrels knew that, too....they'd scamper to the very top branches, and just hunker down on those big top limbs....I had difficulty locating them, even with my binocs.

We had several dead hang-ups, but eventually managed to bring down six squirrels, thanks to one of the guys who was very skillful, shooting his .22 magnum....I let the other guys do all the shooting....two blackies, two grays, and two reds.

Fortunately, the terrain along the river is relatively flat....I bet we walked at least 5 miles, and Sandy, prolly ran 10 or more....Sandy's leg is almost 100%, but she still favors it a bit....when she jumped into the truck to leave, she curled up on the front seat, and snored like a drunk sailor, the entire two hour drive home....I stopped and bought her favorite snack, Jack Link's jerky....she took a couple of bites, and went right back to snoring. ;)

It was a great and beautiful day to be out in God's outdoors creation !!!!!

HideHunter
02-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Very cool.. I'm going to have a decision to make in the next couple years. My old Springer is getting - well - old. I've had bird dogs for the past 35 and when it came to light we were going to lose our CRP - I had about decided my next dog would be a cur. Had one hunted day and night 30 years ago - and I still miss her. But - we have recently had 86 acres accepted into a Pheasant Recovery Program. So - I'll have top-flight pheasant cover, literally across the road from my house, for the next 15 years. I can hardly justify two dogs and to be honest - I'm not thrilled with the project of training another pup. oh well...

What I need is a buddy with beagles, one with curs and one with bird dogs... and a bar each. :D

Bwana
02-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a great time.

As far as how you got the invite, as long as you get to make tracks on some new ground, who cares?

Big Muddy
02-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Followed up the yesterday's squirrel hunt with a rabbit hunt, today....my buddy bought 8 new beagle pups, and they are really green....but, we managed to help 'em kick up about a dozen or so swampers....gonna run 'em again tomorrow.

I skinned a couple of the swampers, and got 'em brining...Sunday lunch will be fried rabbit, mashed taters with gravy, green beans in worcheshire glaze sauce, buttermilk biscuits, and chess custard pie.