PDA

View Full Version : Have people forgotten how to read?

Thumper
02-08-2015, 08:25 PM
I bought a case of (expired) Hewlett Packard printer cartridges (still sealed in factory packaging) and have been selling them on eBay. In the title to my listing I have, "Exp. 12/2013". In the description I wrote, "Exp. Date 12/2013". I also posted 7 photos of the package from all angles and included a close-up of the expiration date printed on the package, "Exp. 12/2013". I just received an email from the dude who bought a package recently and he says he just noticed they're past their expiration date and he wants his money back! Sheeesh! I need to start drinking again! :banghead

Niner
02-09-2015, 12:05 AM
I guess you could consider refunding his money.....AFTER he returns the print carts on his dime since they are persackly as described in the auction.
OR.....just let the good folks at the eBay resolution center tell him he needs to read before buying.

Thumper
02-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Normally I'd do just that as I offer returns. If I was misleading in my description, I pay the return shipping. If they simply ordered incorrectly (say, wrong cartridge for their printer in this example), acquired a case of buyer's remorse or just changed their minds ... THEY pay the return postage. The problem here is, he supposedly didn't notice the date until AFTER he opened the package and removed the cartridges. It'll be hard to re-sell opened, non-sealed, expired ink cartridges.

4290 4291

Buckrub
02-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Send him this:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Expired-INK-Cartridges-not-equal-/10000000001490971/g.html

johnboy
02-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Send him a Tough Shit chit.

Thumper
02-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks Buckster. Yeah, I read up on the expiration date "controversy" before I ever started selling expired cartridges and even called Hewlett Packard directly. They told me if they are sealed and have not "leaked" (wouldn't that mean they are NOT sealed), they should work correctly. The stores clear the older ones out and I buy from warehouse sales. (or I many times find sealed spares at estate sales) This particular one is from the latest warehouse batch I purchased. Here's the note I received from the buyer. (he never mentions them NOT working)

I have insert all 5 cartridges and am told that they are expired. What is the address that I can return them to for refund/replacement. Thank you

Well duh!

Actually, I just re-read my ad, the expiration date is mentioned FOUR times ... not 3 as in this orig. post. I also have a note in the condition specifics and list it as "new other" with the explanation it's a new, factory sealed package with an expiration date of 12/2013.

This is one area I disagree with on eBay's policy. Customer feedback is VERY important on eBay, but there's no way to block negative feedback. It's like blackmail at times. This dufe can come back and leave negative feedback which becomes permanent and there's nothing I can do about it. Only about 1/3 of the buyers bother to leave feedback, but even so, I have 1100 feedbacks right now and 100% are positive. I'd hate to receive a black mark because someone else didn't bother reading the description of what he was buying.

Chicken Dinner
02-09-2015, 11:50 AM
As an occasional eBay buyer, one negative review out of 1,100 wouldn't faze me a bit. Don't you also get a chance to respond to a negative review. So, he could pan you. However, you'd have a chance to respond that the guy was an idiot and why.

Thumper
02-09-2015, 12:07 PM
You're right CD ... but it shows up on the first page of feedback where the numbers are posted and stays there. It also ... no matter how minute ... drops the 100% positive feedback rating to below the 100% mark and can never be recovered. I use my rating as part of my advertising. The problem with the negative response is that it eventually gets buried in the feedback file. As the newer feedbacks get reported, the older ones move down the list. Most people will simply look at the rating on the first page and not dig through 20 pages of feedback to find the single negative one and it's rebuttal. It's a minor thing in the overall picture, but something I take personally. I work hard at keeping that 100% rating and hate the fact some bozo can ruin it while I have no control. I could just eat it, but I'd be out $20 (with no chance of recovery). I just have to decide how much the principle of the thing is worth to me. It's a bit of a Catch-22.

Niner
02-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Dangit. Well, I guess you could tell him to send them back and you'll be happy to send him another set of EXPIRED carts. :biggrin

ALSO.....I may be wrong, but I do believe the seller has the same feedback rights as the buyers do.

What a dad-gummed dufus. That's like going into a restaurant and ordering a slice of chocolate cake. Eating half of it, and then complaining that you thought you were going to get coconut cake.

Thumper
02-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Yep Niner ... problem is, I'd still be stuck with an opened/unsealed pack of carts that I've paid for but could not sell. I wouldn't be able to do anything with them unless I had a printer that uses them.

As for feedback, you're right, I can respond with my own comments regarding the feedback received, but it still counts as a negative feedback.

That said, I answered his question with another question ... basically asking him point blank if the cartridges work or not. That was yesterday and I haven't heard back from him so far.