PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a trick to peel hard-boiled eggs....maybe....

Big Muddy
02-09-2015, 01:40 PM

I haven't tried it, but I'm sure one of ya'll will....it oughta work.

http://features.aol.com/video/how-peel-hard-boiled-egg-only-seconds?cps=gravity_1967_-1888641614277724542

Thumper
02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Wow! Now that IS cool! Can't wait to try it. Dang, I just filled a jar last week to make a batch of pickled eggs and I sure could have used a trick like that. I HATE peeling boiled eggs and have tried the usual suggestion ... like soaking in cold/ice water right after boiling, etc, but it's still a hassle no matter what.

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Saw a guy in a bar once try to win a bet by swallowing a boiled egg whole. He'd swallow it down and it'd pop right back up.
BKB

LJ3
02-09-2015, 03:14 PM
After years of searching I finally found a way to boil eggs that makes them easy to peel, every single time. Makes it so you don't have to result to such silliness.

Don't use cold water.

Get the water to a rolling boil, really going. Gently place your eggs. Wait for return to boil. Reduce heat to just gentle bubbles, a simmer of you will. Go for 15 minutes. Put the pot in the sink and run cold water on them for 5 minutes. Take 'em out and peel 'em. Or you can refrigerate 'em and do it later.

Works like a champ for me. Every single time.

You're welcome.

Thumper
02-09-2015, 03:32 PM
That's persactly the method I tried to explain above Lenster. I take 'em straight from the stove to the sink and run the cold water over them. If I'm too busy to stand there, I'll throw some ice in the water (same principle). Works SOMETIMES ... sometimes not. Lynn cools 'em and sticks 'em in the fridge ... still no miracle cure.

One thing I did learn from an egg expert years ago (he represented an egg distributor when Lynn was in the business), he told me, "The fresher the egg, the harder to peel." I don't remember the science behind it, but it had something to do with the acidic chemistry and the membrane inside the shell.

Tightline
02-09-2015, 04:51 PM
I have a few hens and get 3-5 eggs a day so I consume a few boiled ones. Just tried this and it did not work. dangit.

Tightline
02-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Our experience is what Thump just said about freshness.

Big Muddy
02-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Well, sheeit, I thought I had posted something helpful. Maybe Tightline's chickens are just really fresh gals.
I'm still gonna try it.

Sunshine
02-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Add a teaspoon of vinegar to your boiling water. :)
This is Martha Stewart hard boiled egg recipe.

It's what I use, but I add 1 tsp of vinegar to the water.

Place eggs in a large saucepan. (I use a pot with ld)

Cover them with cool water by 1 inch.
Slowly bring water to a boil over medium heat; when the water has reached a boil, cover and remove from heat.
Let sit 12 minutes.

Transfer eggs to a colander; place under cool running water to stop the cooking. Eggs can be peeled and served immediately.

Chicken Dinner
02-09-2015, 11:25 PM
All y'all sure do seem to put a lot of thought into something I've never had much of a problem with.

Big Muddy
02-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Well, your moniker IS "Chicken Dinner." ;)

Chicken Dinner
02-09-2015, 11:31 PM
True dat.

LJ3
02-10-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm finna make some debbiled eggs so I'll file a trip report later

HideHunter
02-10-2015, 12:02 PM
I'm not a huge fan of deviled eggs but I saw a recipe for "jalapeno, bacon, cheddar" eggs I may have to try.

Thumper
02-10-2015, 01:10 PM
My mom makes the best deviled eggs. No clue what she puts in 'em, but whenever there's a family gathering, her eggs are requested. I can put away a platter of 'em. (Thank God for Crestor!) ;)

LJ3
02-10-2015, 01:28 PM
I tried the trick, it worked. Not sure it really saves much time though.

Thumper
02-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Cool! I'll give it a shot with my next batch of pickled eggs.

Big Muddy
02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
I finally tried this trick, this morning, on some eggs, which had been sitting in the fridge about a week....the carton had a good expiration date, but they weren't what I'd call really fresh.

Hard-boiled them for about 15 minutes in plain tap water....nothing added to water ....took 'em straight from the pan, and placed 'em in the glass of water....shook the sheeit outta it, as per instructions, and it worked perfectly !!!

Thumper
02-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Cool!! :thumbsup

HideHunter
02-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Coincidently, my MIL's neighbor gave her a dozen farm- fresh, brown eggs - and she gave them to me. :) I still eat a piece of deer steak and an egg about every other morning - so those will move to the front of the line; which leaves me with a dozen much like what eddie just described. I'm going to try the "trick" - and then then bacon-jalapeno-cheddar thing.

Tightline
02-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Eggs from the grocery store are about a month old so I been told. The one that I tried was fresh. Still believe that is the difference.

Big Muddy
02-12-2015, 02:48 PM
You prolly right, Tight....git yo'self some old hens....just kiddin'. ;)

Sunshine
02-12-2015, 06:34 PM
I get fresh eggs from my neighbor.
Fresh eggs are hard to peel.
Store bought are old and peel nice.