PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds??

Thumper
02-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Dang! I found an old military (basic training) yearbook from the graduating class of March 9, 1973 (198 graduates, Fort Dix New Jersey) at an estate sale a while back and listed it on eBay. I figured it was a long shot as that is a VERY small percentage of the population and what are the chances of one of those people stumbling across this thing ... AND wanting one? Well, I just received an email from a dude who thinks he was in that class and asked me to check to see if his name/picture is listed. Sure enough, there he was! He was happy as all get-out and excited he'd finally found a copy. He said he lost his years ago and has always wanted another one. He just purchased it and I'll ship it tomorrow. A nice little profit from a 50-cent purchase too, I might add. :D

Hombre
02-09-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm sure you made a nice profit and he's just as happy to pay. You made someone really happy. Great job

Thumper
02-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Ha ha! Yeah, it sure won't pay for a cruise, but it'll buy lunch for Lynn and me. Cost me 50-cents and I sold it for $17.50 ... not a windfall and maybe a bit silly to get excited about, but if you figure profit as a percentage, it looks a lot better. ;)

I just think it's cool he was able to find one. If I hadn't rescued it, it would have ended up in the trash at the end of the sale. I buy any h/s yearbooks I run up on and do pretty well with them. I didn't really expect this one to sell as the class size was so limited.

I found a high school yearbook one time that has John Young in it. He flew the Gemini and Apollo missions (walked on the moon) as well as some Space Shuttle missions. I haven't tried to sell it as Young went to school with my dad and he is also in the yearbook.