PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation

BarryBobPosthole
02-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Here's a cool little collection of short stories that were actually written for younger folks but are an excellent read. "Old Three Toes and Other Tales of Survival and Extinction" by John Joseph Mathews.
Mathews was part Osage and was born amd lived and died in and around Pawhuska, Oklahoma where Herb is from. He lived in a stone cabin on the edge of what is now the Tallgrass Prairie that is owned and run by the Nature Conservancy. There are plans to possibly open the cabin to the public soon. His grandfather was a mountain man and his grandmother an Osage. He was also a pilot in WWI and received his education at Oxford after the war. An ediccated injun.
He wrote many other books but this one is pretty special. Its a collection of nine short stories and if you have a young teenager these might be a good one to get them to read.

Anyway, a bit out of the ordinary but they are sure dang good ones. Five bucks on Kindle or you can find some paperbacks around too.

Enjoy!

BKB

LJ3
02-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Sounds right up my alley! I just finished a VERY innersting book call The Righteous Mind (I may have already toldeded you guys)... But it was a tiring read :) I came away with a much better understanding of how we humans use our morals, reasoning and other behaviors to inform ourselves on how we view alternate perspectives. We are a VERY predictable collection of cells.

Hint: NOBODY is right.

Chicken Dinner
02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
I thought it was just us husbands. I'll leave it to you to let my Mrs. know.

Thumper
02-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Yeah Ticboy ... try telling Lucia that ... then get back to us. ;)

LJ3
02-11-2015, 09:29 PM
She told me before we even started flirting, much less dating "I'm always right"... I ain't stupid :)

Thumper
02-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Does your old home phone number still work at the new place? I wanna talk to her. ;)