PDA

View Full Version : Farm Deer Stand

Buckrub
02-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Stand one..............need about 4 more on this little 80 acres..........but this is first one.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Farm%20Pics/Stand-a_zpsloy8hc5o.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Farm%20Pics/Stand-a_zpsloy8hc5o.jpeg.html)

Shooting lane in front of it. Need about 4 more lanes (but not as wide)...........

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Farm%20Pics/Stand-b_zpsdaht4zkg.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Farm%20Pics/Stand-b_zpsdaht4zkg.jpeg.html)

Buckrub
02-19-2015, 07:35 PM
And at 6:42 the next morning..........

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Farm%20Pics/IMG_0005_zps7wns5alm.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Farm%20Pics/IMG_0005_zps7wns5alm.jpg.html)

Buckrub
02-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Forgot to set 'clock' on this camera, but this is a 3:00 a.m. or so, shot.......of some goofy buck.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Farm%20Pics/07310003_zps5pksu1dq.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Farm%20Pics/07310003_zps5pksu1dq.jpg.html)

jb
02-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Gee's Bucky, ya might just have some Yankee come down there next season.

Buckrub
02-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Gotta promise to shoot only Booners.........but there are SOME Yankees that are always welcome in anything I own. Gotta step down your living expectations a bit! :)

quercus alba
02-19-2015, 08:21 PM
I understand there are pro's and cons for every kind of stand but I much prefer a popup blind. Does anyone else here use them and what's your opinion of them?

Buckrub
02-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Too low. Too easy to be eaten by Mountain Lions.

jb
02-20-2015, 10:12 AM
To noisy in the rain or wind.

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2015, 10:55 AM
I love 'em QA! And every time I've used one I've been amazed at how they cover up scent as well. And, you can take a nap and they cover up your snoring a bit too!

BKB

HideHunter
02-20-2015, 11:08 AM
QA.. I loved them when they first came out.. Still do an incredible job on turkeys (though I absolutely *hate* hunting out of one and pretty much won't - unless it's raining.) ;) But - as far as whitetail - they are totally worthless here unless you 1. leave them out for weeks/months at a time. . or 2. Brush them in to the point of ridiculous. Our deer can spot one of those things at 200 yards and they will "leave".

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Bucky, what is your duck situation at the farm?
BKB

Big Muddy
02-20-2015, 11:35 AM
His weiner is broke....oops, sorry, you said "duck" situation. ;)

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
There is a pit............and wife's cousin comes down from Indiana to hunt it annually. They killed 14 ducks among about 8 of 'em, over a week. I hunted that field for years with my FIL. Never any ducks.........they fly over, they don't light there. No one knows why. Lessor told me Wednesday that he doesn't know why the guy keeps trying to make it work, there's been less tha 40 ducks killed off of it in last 15 years.

Big Muddy
02-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Get a "reputable" biologist from either Delta Wildlife or Ducks Unlimited out there, and he'll tell ya how to bring in the waterfowl.

My personal solution is: lots of water + lots of food = ducks.

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 12:00 PM
And if I did, that'd equal a "Lot of Inlaws"..............just for a few ducks. This is half-ownership land, not solely hers. Her uncle has decision in it (it's his son that comes to hunt it annually, among many other places around the county). He grew up on that land, and he ain't gonna bother with trying to attract ducks to a place that historically has none.

This is the site of an old 30 acre reservoir, long since knocked down. It's farm land, ringed by levee. SHOULD be prime duck spot, but it ain't. I used to sit out there in a duck blind and watch poultry land all over the county, all other fields close by, and not once did I see a duck land there! Well, not true, I got a flight of shovelers in there one time! ugh.

It'd be nice to have a place to duck hunt. But this parcel adjoins the house and 1 acre of a Prime Poacher. Mr. Poacher already illegally hunts deer on our land. If we fixed up a fine, nice duck place, and then I was not there but maybe January for 2 weeks at most, Mr. Poacher would be out there blasting away daily. Not a problem I care to exacerbate, and the expense of doing it would be out of our price range anyway.

Big Muddy
02-20-2015, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't do it, either....unless, the poacher happened to have an "accident", and disappeared, mysteriously ;)....is there an isolated stretch of river, nearby??? ;)....I HATE thieves and poachers....they are one in the same. ;););)

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Sigh.

Maybe you are available for 'contract work'???

I've had a face to face with him. I was firm, but pleasant..........not yelling, not challenging. Just let him know where I stood. Left by shaking hands. Yet.......his family has history of this, and he's just one of them. He will not, cannot stop. It's too tempting. He can literally shoot out his house window onto 25 acres of our land, bordered by woods............which is where he puts 10' tall piles of corn and rice bran!! AND a 100-yard white marker. He says it's so his girlfriend can take pictures of the deer. I told him to stay off, I don't care what his reason is.

So, next time, I'll have a basis to say "Johnny, remember what I said? Well........prepare for the Game Warden to follow you around, and the State Police to write you speeding tickets, and the State Income Tax folks to audit you........cause you don't know who you are messing with".

And hope that bluff works.

But I'd sure rather just shoot him.

quercus alba
02-20-2015, 01:54 PM
QA.. I loved them when they first came out.. Still do an incredible job on turkeys (though I absolutely *hate* hunting out of one and pretty much won't - unless it's raining.) ;) But - as far as whitetail - they are totally worthless here unless you 1. leave them out for weeks/months at a time. . or 2. Brush them in to the point of ridiculous. Our deer can spot one of those things at 200 yards and they will "leave".

HH,
Maybe you need one of these http://ghostblind.com/

Actually I have never had a deer spook from any of mine unless I had too many windows unzipped and was back lighted. I know they can pick up a movement when you stick your rifle out the window. I generally don't even brush they up. I put one out this year and had two scrapes within 20 yds of it. there were tracks practically in it. Of course, I don't see a lot of deer period so that could be part of it. As i've gotten older it's harder for me to keep still or quiet and a blind is very forgiving in those areas. Plus if I fall out of my seat it's not far to the ground

HideHunter
02-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Neighbor has a Ghost Blind. It's actually kind of cool. I think it might *really* work in the switch grass along my food plot. Kind of cashy - I may borrow his. ;)

As I said - you're wasting your time around here with pop-ups. Too many of them. They recognize something (the shape?) immediately. I know it's the blind because I've been sitting against a tree and had them practically step on me. I've even tried to tuck a blind in a bit. They'll slam on the brakes at 75 yards and boogie. Put one up last year on a trail they had been using for a couple years.. looked like a cow path. After about a day - the trail suddenly took a 90 at about a 100 yards and went a hundred yards around it. Your mileage may vary.

DeputyDog
02-20-2015, 05:41 PM
I haven't ever used a ground blind for deer. I'd rather be up a tree. Do any of your states have a hunter orange requirement for blinds? In Indiana any ground blind has to have a minimum of 144 square inches of hunter orange visible from all sides.

Big Muddy
02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Ddog, I don't think we have that law, here in MS, but that's a danged good safety idea.

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Same here.

Hunting Stands and Blinds

It is illegal to construct, place or occupy a permanent hunting stand, waterfowl blind, building, shelter or moored houseboat on a WMA.
Portable hunting stands and equipment may be used with the following stipulations:
Portable, pop-up ground blinds used during firearms deer, bear or elk seasons on public land must have at least 144 square inches of hunter orange or chartreuse on each visible side of the blind at least 3 feet above the ground.
Waterfowl blinds must be torn down at the end of shooting hours each day.
No metal objects may be screwed or driven into the tree.
Stands must have the owner’s name and address permanently attached.
Stands must be moved at least 200 yards after seven days.
Stands may not be placed more than seven days before deer archery season and must be removed within seven days after the close of deer archery season.
On USDA Forest Service lands, portable tree stands are allowed but must be removed by season's end. Note: The Ouachita National Forest requires all tree stands to be moved within 14 days of their original placement.

quercus alba
02-20-2015, 06:28 PM
HH most of the hunters down here think truck when you say deer stand. Kinda like Oklahoma

jb
02-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Hunter Orange is required up here for any rifle season, in a blind, tree stand or on a stump.
Camo can only be used to hunt water fowl, turkey and bow season.
Even upland birds hunters require HO