PDA

View Full Version : And this is worth???????????????????????

Buckrub
02-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Old air compressor labeled "Farm Duty". I got it to run, but only once.

Lots of numbers on stamped labels on it, but the ID of the numbers is missing. Numbers are embossed, but dunno what they all are.

It's a Quincy farm duty air compressor. Says "Quincy" and "S & S" and "The Southern Company".

Numbers are:
HWD 163-67
R602212-D778

who knows what they mean.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Farm%20Pics/compressor_zpspb58kzxd.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Farm%20Pics/compressor_zpspb58kzxd.jpg.html)

Captain
02-19-2015, 07:56 PM
That looks like a cast compressor motor. Probably a very good one. I would be scared of the tank. But if you replace the tank I bet it would give you good years service.
Did you drain any water out of the tank?

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
02-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Is 'farm duty' on the motor or the compressor itself? If it is on the motor, my money says it is not original.

Buckrub
02-19-2015, 08:11 PM
I don't need it. Wife is uncertain if she wants to get rid of it. I wonder what it's worth. Ebay has some high dollar similar ones, but all totally redone.

Thumper
02-19-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm with the coach, my guess is the motor has been replaced with a "farm duty" unit. Heck, they can be from anywhere .. Graingers, Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, etc.

I know "Quincy" builds compressors, but I'm assuming that is a generic unit that some company put their decal on (prolly Quincy, Arkansas?). Dang, it's anybody's guess but it appears to be a small single-stage unit. Can you see a second cylinder in there somewhere? The tanks are generally over-engineered and unless it sat for a bazillion (NOT a billion) years with water in it ... I seriously doubt it's old enough to be at the blow-out stage. (just have the wimmin and children leave the garage when you crank it up!) ;)

Maybe see if you can find a phone number for "Quincy" and give 'em a call. They may tell you who their source is for their compressors (unless they keep changing suppliers).

I got it to run, but only once.

I'm not persactly sure what you mean by that. You DO know they cut off once they reach their set pressure, right? And won't come back on until you release some pressure (or it leaks out).

Captain
02-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Wish you had moved all that hose out the way where I could see the compressor pump better...
Also when you say you got it to run once, I assume you are talking about the electric motor running right?
Did you try to drain the tank? Was there water in it? Rust?
My Dad and son had one blow up on them last year and hurt dad up some... Scared Hammer about half to death. He thought Granddaddy was a goner

Buckrub
02-19-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't understand some of the questions, sorry.

I got it on, once. It has no on/off switch. I plugged it in, and it ran. I didn't drain the tank, wouldn't know how.

Quincy is the name of a company, not some town. If you go to Ebay and search for "Quincy Air Compressors", there are zillions, some high dollar (though it appears those have been restored).
http://www.quincycompressor.com/products/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quincy-310-22-Air-compressor-250-PSI-tank-1-1-2-HP-3-PH-INV-16520-/400860889295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d552bc0cf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Compressor-15-hp-/111485275546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f50a4d9a

Nothing has been added or removed from this original unit. It's as it was whenever it was bought.

I just thought some of y'all might know something about these.

Captain
02-19-2015, 10:43 PM
I would not have a clue on the price of what it's worth.
Did it run for awhile when it started up?did you check the oil in the compressor?
There should be a pressure relief valve on it somewhere and (most) have a little crooked leaver there that is a cut off. I cannot see that area for all that hose piled up on it. Could be that hose tripped the cut off at the pressure release valve.

Thumper
02-20-2015, 12:07 AM
You say you "got it on once". What persactly do you mean? You just plugged it in, it started running and you immediately unplugged it? Or did it run for a while? Is that a pressure gauge on the head? Is the tank pressurized? If it has no leakage (rare), it my be at max pressure and will not run again until the tank depressurizes. Are you saying it came on, you immediately unplugged it, then tried it again and then it would not come back on? Too many variables here to figure anything out. As for worth, is it a single or two stage? Like Cappy, I can't see much with the hoses but from the pic, it looks like a single stage compressor which would be less expensive (as well as lower pressure). Sheeesh, I don't have a clue as to worth. Horsepower? Single/two-stage? Tank capacity (20 gal. etc?). Is that BONDO on the tank???

As for draining ... there should be (key word, "should") be a petcock at the lower part of the tank someplace (usually on the end) to drain the water (condensation).

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 12:10 AM
As I said, I don't know about these things, nor the answers to those questions. I will try and take better pictures next time. Maybe I can find a site somewhere where folks know about such things, dunno.

Thumper
02-20-2015, 12:17 AM
I think most HERE "know about such things". You just haven't provided enough info. It's not that complicated.

You're showing a pic of a "truck" and asking what it's worth. You say "it ran once". What engine does it have? I dunno. What transmission does it have. I dunno. Does it need brakes? Does the a/c work? How many miles are on it? I dunno, I dunno, I dunno. I don't care what site you go to ... they're gonna ask if it runs and if you say, "It ran once" ... they're gonna be as lost as everyone here.

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 12:23 AM
Thump........I've said repeatedly........there are numbers on this thing, but the labels corresponding to those numbers are not readable. I do not KNOW the answers to the size, limits, capacities, etc., of this thing. I've said that repeatedly. I realize it's a requirement to know exactly what this thing is. I get that. I simply don't know, and don't know how to find out.

I just thought someone MIGHT see it and say "HEY! That's a Hoo Boy Doowah Unit"......and know what it is better than I do. If not, that's fine.

I simply asked a question out of ignorance. Seems I'm getting beat up for not knowing more about this thing. I just found it in the old shop. You do that too......you say "I found this" and you don't know what it is...........I'm just doing the same thing.

Thumper
02-20-2015, 12:34 AM
Here's why questions are important Bucky. Some can be answered with more/better pictures ... and more/better explanations. Nobody is picking on you.

A single stage compressor will max out at maybe 125 psi. and you'll have very little reserve to run something like air tools. They're fine for filling your tires ... simple projects like that, but any air tool will end up spitting and sputtering after just a couple minutes. A double-stage compressor will probably run up to about 175 psi and one the size of yours "might" run small air tools. A double-stage will have two cylinders ... one smaller than the first, but I can't see but one in your pic. Note, even a 2-stage compressor can have two cylinders, but they will be the same size. There are a lot of other factors there ..tank capacity mainly ... you're not gonna run an auto body shop with the thing. We're just trying to figure out what it is you have there, that's all.

In case you don't know, the compressor will run until it reaches it's set maximum pressure and shut off automatically otherwise it would (theoretically) run until it explodes (not likely, as there's a pressure relief valve like on your hot water tank). If your tank is at it's set pressure, it will not run again until that pressure is relieved. That's why when you say, "I got it to run, but only once" is important info ... but NOT enough info to know what it means. How LONG was ONCE? I see a tag there, is there a HP rating on the motor? That may be of some help.

I have to hit the sack so I'll make a SWAG. From what I see, I'm "seeing" a belt drive, single-stage portable air compressor — maybe a 2 HP, 20-gallon, horizontal tank, that "might" put out 5 CFM. You can buy new ones anywhere from $500 ... some less, some more. Yours will sell for what you can get for it. From your info, I don't even know if it works. G'nite all.

jb
02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
You keep messing with that old thing and you'll end up needed the power wheel chair buried next to it.
Compressors are cheap, if you're thinking of fixing it to use, you're way better of with a new one.
If I was going to try and sell it I'd take the motor off and sell it for parts, that way if someone tries to make it work it's their fault if the damn thing blows.

Big Muddy
02-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Why not just put all that type of stuff in a big pile, and get you farm lessor (wife's cousin's boy) to take all of it to a farm equipment auction for you???....this time of year, there's tons of farm auctions being held every day, all over Arkansas, and the entire southern U.S., for that matter.

Used farm equipment is selling at top prices, right now.

They'll sell it for you, less a small commission, of course, then mail you a check....you'd be done with it, instead of pining over every single item.

Here ya go, take your pick:

http://www.dewittauction.com/

http://www.witcherauctions.com/

http://www.stovesandauction.com/upcoming-auctions/

http://www.blackmonauctions.com/

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 11:34 AM
I have no plans on using it. I have a small compressor. I just wondered if this thing was worth anything.

Big Muddy
02-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Then, don't do sheeit to it....sell it at an auction, along with the rest of the farm-related stuff, and move on with your life....you got deer stands to put up, man!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Eddies got the best idea yet. No sense in letting that stuff sit and rust.

You might get enough to buy a double chrome right handed flammox tool to use on your RV or something.

BKB

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Something is amiss. I never did say "Help me figure out how to make this thing work".......I have NO Plans for keeping it. Now, the wife has said "I don't know". ANYTHING that belonged to her father (and there are very few things left), she is reluctant to get rid of. So the options are for me to get rid of it, or for her to 'keep' it (meaning it sits in the garage forever).

There's no auction. There's no farm stuff. There's an old Oliver Tractor sitting in the front yard, and a 1984 Chevy pickup in the garage. Those two things will never be sold till she dies.

We cleaned out the garage, so we can use the garage. It was literally a bombed out mess. This compressor is in the garage, taking up space. If she wants to give it away, I know a guy that wants it. Using it is NOT an option for us. So it either sits around as a momento, or we sell it or give it away.

Thus, I wondered if the thing was worth anything. That's all I asked. Just wondered if anyone knew if it was worth anything. Apparently it's not, so that's that.

I dang sure ain't gonna worry with dealing with it while I'm down there. I have stuff to do in the woods........it was, and is, just in my way in the garage and I'm trying to get info to help the owner decide what the flip she wants to do with it.

Captain
02-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Is it worth anything? Yes scrap metal is 8 cent a pound right now.

I was trying to help you with your original question of was it worth anything. Knowing IF it runs and works is a major factor of value.

Being you never answered any of my questions I assume you really didn't want an answer.

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 12:09 PM
I didn't avoid your questions. I did tell you that I had no idea what the answers were. I have not tried to run it in several years (it started up for a few seconds once, years ago), and I don't even know how to check the oil in the compressor, etc. Those questions seemed to be geared towards "If you are going to use it and make it work, you need to know x and y and z"........but I wasn't going to try and make it work, so I didn't do those things, nor did I know the answers to those questions.........and I said that.

I was not ignoring the questions........I said "I do not know".

Buckrub
02-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Maybe I should have said "What is this thing worth in current non working condition? And what might it be worth if it is restored and running?"

Big Muddy
02-20-2015, 12:16 PM
In that case, Thump's already given your answer....it's worth what you can get for it....personally, I've seen old single-stage compressors, like that one, sell at auctions for anywhere from $75 to $150 bucks....a farmer really doesn't give a sheeit about whether something is "name-brand" stuff like that, for his shop....all he cares about is, if it works....and, if he can buy it cheap enough, he'll take a chance on buying it, and "hope" it works, when he gets it home.

Northern Tool has brand new compressors, just like yours, for under $300 bucks.

We are very fortunate, in my area....as a customer perk, our petroleum dealer supplies each farmer/customer with a commercial-grade air compressor, for our shop....they are older units, which he buys and refurbishes, and he keeps them in good operating order for us....mine is prolly 30 years old, and other than replacing a broken pulley belt, every few years, it keeps right on ticking.