PDA

View Full Version : Who's ready for the Superbowl of auto racing?

Captain
02-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Headed to Big Jim's for a Daytona party.
Wings, pig dip, and real likker.
Gonna be a good'un!
Finally a REAL sport
GO Junior!

Buckrub
02-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Tell him I said hello. Ask him how Auburn basketball is doing.

Second thought, just tell him I said hello. Nothing more. :)

Captain
02-22-2015, 12:30 PM
He's like me in that neither of us could care less if they ever pump up another basketball. I assure you he ain't got a clue how basketball is going.
He does follow football right close however

BarryBobPosthole
02-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Me me!!! Junior and Smoke are who I'm pulling for today!

And Danica just so I can piss Deputy off.

And say hey to the squirt for me too.
BKb

Thumper
02-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Yep, watching the tube and Lynn's at the store loading up on goodies for me. She made dip last night, so it should have plenty of flavor now. I think she has a big ol' pot of chili simmering also. I'm gettin' all excited ... 'bout the race AND the grub! ;)

Gots a buddy having a big race party ... but we decided to stick around the house today and take it easy.

BarryBobPosthole
02-22-2015, 01:36 PM
None of that shit is on your diet, Porky.

Signed,
Your conscience

BKB

Captain
02-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Diet? What color is it now???

Captain
02-22-2015, 02:39 PM
I love to see Danica punt Denny in the exact spot he wrecked her the other night.

Chicken Dinner
02-22-2015, 02:39 PM
You're gonna need an addition if you keep shooting all those critters.

Thumper
02-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Great race and I was really getting excited for Jr. until he got shuffled back at the end. He still managed third ... just ran out of time. Those guys were HONKIN' today!

Captain
02-22-2015, 07:03 PM
It was a good race.
But I got a question for all you Gomers that watch the race
Can you hear the announcers for the background noise?
I've noticed here at home the sound of the cars are so load I cannot hear the guys talking. Thought it was me until today went to my buddies house to do the race there and out of the blue he commented he could not hear the comments for the car noise.
I have tried adjusting all the advanced settings on my TV and sound bar and cannot make it better?
Any of y'all having this issue?

Thumper
02-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Hmmm, weird. My hearing sucks, but I don't have a problem generally. Maybe with an "on the spot" interview in the pits or infield after a crash or something ... but never really when in the sound booth.

Thumper
02-22-2015, 07:12 PM
You know, maybe the frequency of my hearing loss matches the sound of the cars and all I hear are the voices. A possibility.

Arty
02-22-2015, 07:33 PM
It's not just you Cappy.

Regular sound through tv. No good.

Surround sound through my unit that I thought was high end enough to adjust that shit (but wasn't after 2 hours of screwing with it). No good.

AND my father in law, who hasn't missed a race in the 18 years that he's been my fil, said the same thing when he called earlier.

But it was still a goodun!

I may have MORE reason to pull for a certain car soon.... We will see what the future holds.

Captain
02-22-2015, 07:58 PM
I think I know where you are going with that and good luck!
Also thanks for the reply.
I though it was just me for a long time but it's good to hear other people are experiencing the same thing.

DeputyDog
02-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Maybe a geographic thing, but I always thought the "Super Bowl of racing" was the Indy 500. It's been around twice as long as the Daytona 500 and still draws about twice as money people at the track. NASCAR didn't take off in this area until the 90's. Open wheel has always been the king of racing in the Midwest. Whether is was sprint cars or midgets or Indy cars.

Captain
02-22-2015, 08:35 PM
That's cause Y'all were not smart enough to make good moonshine and out run the law... 😜

(And just to be clear I'm AM picking)

Arty
02-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Elliot is a home town guy.... (From where I used to live anyway). I "met" him several times eating at his truck stop in Emporia. Wouldn't mind pulling for him!

Thumper
02-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Elliott who? Say that name around us old farts and Bill Elliott comes to mind, but he's retired from cup racing.

Elliott Sadler maybe? He ain't a Cup racer either ... I think he only runs the (now) Xfinity Series for Roush.

Which races are you going to be following, new guy?

Chicken Dinner
02-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Was there a race today?

BarryBobPosthole
02-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Maybe a geographic thing, but I always thought the "Super Bowl of racing" was the Indy 500. It's been around twice as long as the Daytona 500 and still draws about twice as money people at the track. NASCAR didn't take off in this area until the 90's. Open wheel has always been the king of racing in the Midwest. Whether is was sprint cars or midgets or Indy cars.

Maybe if You are Jean Girard of Formula Une.
BKB

Arty
02-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Elliott who? Say that name around us old farts and Bill Elliott comes to mind, but he's retired from cup racing. Elliott Sadler maybe? He ain't a Cup racer either ... I think he only runs the (now) Xfinity Series for Roush. Which races are you going to be following, new guy?

You sir, are an elitist. And OLD

Thumper
02-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Was there a race today?

Yeah, while you were watching the Oscar presentation re-runs. ;)

DeputyDog
02-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Cappy, we didn't need to make shine, Capone and those other guys from Chicago and Detroit kept us floating along.

Barry, I'm talking about the guys who grew up racing on dirt like the Bettenhausens, Unsers, Rutherford, and some pansy ass guy named Foyt, whom I believe won quite a few tin top races, including that one in Daytona they just held.

Captain
02-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Ummmm bathtub gin. Yummmmm you know that's the reason "mixed" drinks were invented to cover of the flavor of that crap.
And it took a good southern boy (my mothers uncle Melvin Pervis) to go up there and straighten out all them gangsters.
Yep he's the guy that killed Dillinger and put the whole lot of them behind bars.

Thumper
02-23-2015, 10:19 AM
You nimrod ... that's Melvin Purvis ... with a "U". ;)

I have a buddy who was a fellow motorcycle racer and an employee of mine in Los Angeles, but he has lived in Hawaii for the past 15 years or so (Maui). The moniker he uses in his email is Melvin Purvis.

HideHunter
02-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Was there a race today?

:iagree