PDA

View Full Version : Routh Guilty.........at least in Texas.

Buckrub
02-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Appeals coming, I'm sure.

Have never understood "Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity". Makes no sense. Makes about as much sense as "Not Guilty By Reason of Good Lawyers".

I'd much prefer "Guilty, but Deemed Insane". Then instead of going free, the State can take control of the Guilty and put him away somewhere. If he's insane, then either get him some help or keep him away from society, where he's proven to be a menace. But letting someone go totally free because they proved to 12 people ignorant on the matter that they were nuts, is........nuts. Talk about "Primal Fear" possibilities!

Big Muddy
02-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Edward Norton shoulda got an Oscar for his performance in that movie.

Thumper
02-25-2015, 01:01 PM
I agree Bucky ... IMHO, ANYONE who would take another's life for no reason (not self-defense) is insane. With the insanity law, NOBODY should be found guilty!

I didn't think a Texas jury would buy into it.

I agree Muddy ... I saw a special on the making of the movie and Norton went above and beyond in preparation for the movie. He researched everything possible about Kyle, even learning his mannerisms. I don't remember exactly, but he was a bit on the skinny side and gained 40 lbs (I think?), then worked out relentlessly at a gym to buff up for the film. That's dedication to a part!

Big Muddy
02-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Thump, actually, I was referring to Edward Norton, in the "Primal Fear" movie, that Bucky was talking about....that one kept you on the edge of your seat.

But YES, Bradley Cooper definitely knocked a homerun, too, in "American Sniper."

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2015, 01:11 PM
That's certainly an interesting take. A guilty man was found guilty. He gets two life sentences without possibility of parole.
The right thing happened. Its called justice. And yet you seem to want to bitch about....something, I'm not sure what.

The PTSD issue is one our country hasn't figured out what to do with. I'm not sure we understand it, let alone know what we should do to prevent stuff like this from happening. The jury didn't buy his story that PTSD prevented him from knowing right from wrong. I'm not sure I do either. But there's some reason that this generation of soldiers is affected more than previous ones and it'd behoove us to understand why. I know people from other wars were as deeply scarred but I don't think its ever been used as much as it is now as a justification for bad behavior like it is now.

Answer me this, if it can be used as an excuse for a poor marine to cross an international border unintentionally who suposedly was so confused he didn't where was (even though he'd been there several times) why wouldn't it be a valid defense? The answer is we use it when its a handy excuse and we're still no closer to the truth about it.

And the movie doesn't have a thing to do with the murder or the trial.

BKB

Buckrub
02-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Every time I talk, you say "you're bitching".

Geez, man.

My comment about Guilty and Insane was a generality that this event made me think of. I wasn't bitching about anything. Sometimes you're just weird.

LJ3
02-25-2015, 02:04 PM
We understand PTSD now. It's a diagnosed condition. These things only become slippery slopes and gray areas when you let fucking lawyers near them and they have financial gain in the balance.

Buckrub
02-25-2015, 02:44 PM
So, tell me how a dozen office workers at Ft. Hood, that were sorta 'near' the shootings, but have never seen combat, now have diagnosed PTSD?

And I guess that IS bitching!!! :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Speaking of lawyers.....
http://www.a2lc.com/blog/bid/68973/360-of-PTSD-Facts-vs-Fiction-in-Litigation

Thumper
02-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Sorry Muddy ... I pay no attention to names of the movie types ... whomever the dude was that played Kyle in American Sniper is who I was talking about. I managed the Cadillac dealership in Hollywood for years and you wouldn't believe how many times I heard, "Do you know who I am?" when someone was looking for preferential treatment. I'll admit, 90% of the time, I had no clue ... and 99.99% of the time, I could'a cared less. I never was much of a "groupie".

I will say this dude did a bang-up job in the movie ... even the family said many times they could almost swear it was Kyle himself on the screen when they watched it.

Hey P-hole ... somebody poop in your Wheaties this morning? ;)

First off ... Bucky didn't even mention PTSD, but now that you brought it up ... I can talk a little bit about personal experience. I was told by a shrink that I suffer from PTSD myself. I was told this when I was in the hospital and a shrink would come in regularly to sit and talk with me ... mainly to make sure I wasn't going into a depressive state due to all the problems I was having. They would basically be interviews for the most part, but the subject ranged back to the 'Nam years and the recurring nightmares I've had for the past almost 40 years. He wanted to schedule me for an appointment with a group of shrinks once I became mobile and no longer tied down with tubes, hoses and wires. I told him it wasn't necessary and I can live with it ... it's really not a big deal. Heck, kids have recurring dreams about monsters and shit, that doesn't mean they have PTSD! Just because my experience was war related, I guess it takes on a whole new meaning.

Now ... I also have been around others with diagnosed PTSD ... my very close friend (the Navy SEAL) has it big time. My take is, this PTSD thing is highly misunderstood in part by Hollywood and the press. It makes for good movies when a PTSD crazed trained killer ex-veteran goes berserk and sets out on a killing rampage. Actually, PTSD does not cause violence ... quite the opposite generally. In fact, instead of wanting to go around killing people, the thought of suicide is much more likely. Hollywood, the press and high-priced attorneys have convinced the general public that it's something it is not.

Now, back to this nut bag in Texas. Heck, it's my understanding he never even saw combat ... not that you have to be in a combat situation to acquire PTSD. Was he insane? I dunno ... from what I understand, he was f'd up on drugs and alcohol, but as I said, anyone who takes another man's life for no reason is insane IMO. That doesn't mean they don't belong in jail,

Buckrub
02-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Speaking of lawyers.....
http://www.a2lc.com/blog/bid/68973/360-of-PTSD-Facts-vs-Fiction-in-Litigation

Yep.

And if you've taken the drug Stupiditol, while pregnant, or trying to make someone pregnant, call our law office that isn't licensed in your state, and we'll get half of a class action suit that some other worthless lawyer was successful at, whether you deserve it or not.

Thumper
02-25-2015, 03:35 PM
And if your stupidity lasts more than 4 hours ... call a fellow Democrat. ;)

Big Muddy
02-25-2015, 03:46 PM
And if your stupidity lasts more than 4 hours ... call a fellow Democrat. ;) Now, dat rat there is funny. ;)

But true, which makes it even funnier.

LJ3
02-25-2015, 04:23 PM
That IS funny as hell!

PTSD is no bullshit. It's sad and pathetic that lawyers have been ok with making money from it.

DeputyDog
02-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Hey P-hole ... somebody poop in your Wheaties this morning? ;)

What do you mean this morning? He's been pretty grouchy ever since he retired. Maybe it's PTSD from all those years in the corporate world. ;)

LJ3
02-25-2015, 11:01 PM
What do you mean this morning? He's been pretty grouchy ever since he retired. Maybe it's PTSD from all those years in the corporate world. ;)

Boom! ^^^

Sunshine
02-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Hay he ain't been ALL bitchy!!!
He's got my back and he even called me Darlin!!!!

See I gotcha back too!!! :D