PDA

View Full Version : Niner Update ----- Thump Style ----- Not So Good

Niner
02-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Just returned on Tuesday night from MD Anderson in Houston. Went out about 10 days ago for my quarterly checkup and ended up spending a week in the hospital. The MRI shows that the cancer is back in just about the same place as it was last year, and is the reason for the pain in my lower back (actually, sciatica in my butt and legs) which has continued to increase over the last few months. I'm sure Artie, CD, and Cap'n can remember that I was "movin' kinda slow" at Deer Camp back in early November.

I've been fighting this thing since 2011. I’ve had chemotherapy for a year and a half, four intense spine surgeries that included removing most of my L5 vertebra and installing rods and screws all the way up and down my back in an operation that lasted 16+ hours, and then radiation last year. I KNOW deep down in my heart that I wouldn't be here today if it hadn't been for the folks at MD Anderson. I've been fighting hard all this time, and keeping up that "Positive Mental Attitude". Now the docs are telling me they’ve thrown everything at it they have, and they're all out of ammo. They say they've done all that can be done. At this point I have no idea exactly what the future holds, nor how long of a future that may be...........

With that said, I do have a few other things I’d like to say---this GoodHunting forum board has been (and will continue to be) a source of pride for me. When we made the change a couple of years ago, I was glad that I had the time to dedicate to building this site from scratch with the software that Posthole had bought for us. I'm not a software engineer, but I did have a little experience with programming. I read and studied about the vBulletin software and how it interfaces with our web-hosting server provider, and all that jazz. Had I not been "sick" and recovering from those back surgeries I surely would never have had the time to dedicate to the task, but I’m glad I did and have really enjoyed it. There were so few activities that I could do at that time, and this was a new challenge for me that I could work on as I felt up to it.

I am happy to say that you folks are some of the closest friends that I have in this world. With Atlanta being the "hub of the South" I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet and share a handshake, or a meal, or a beer with quite a number of GoodHunters over the years. A lot of us have been together on this board since 1997--that's 18 years!!!

Heck, the first time I went over to Cap'n's farm to hunt he put me into a stand overlooking some pines they'd planted that were about six feet tall. When I was there last November, I climbed into that same stand for a hunt (yes, I was determined to climb into that stand one more time!), and those same trees are now a forest and are probably 25 to 30 feet tall (and have been thinned at least once). Cap’n, you’re the brother I never had (Di says you’re actually family whether you realize it or not). I can’t put into words how much I appreciate your friendship and the time we’ve shared hunting and fishing at your place. I especially enjoyed the hunting trip last November and getting a chance to meet Artie and CD and their boys. Many many thanks Cap’n for everything.

Di and I had dreamed for years and years about going out to Montana and doing a little trout fishing in that magnificent area of the country. I was emailing with my buddy Big Sky about that last year while I was in the hospital. He invited me to "come on out" when I got to feeling up to it and he'd take me fishing with him. So, Di and I went out there over the 4th of July week last year, and had several days of some of the best fishing and fellowship ever. I still marvel at the photos regularly... remembering that raft ride and those trophy trout we caught! Thanks Troy....from the bottom of my heart. You have no idea how much that meant to us.

Kribs, being the world traveler he is, has even stopped by here on his way through Atlanta many times to grab a bite, say hello, and swap some lies. We have really enjoyed visiting with him and Lynn. Seems like it was just last summer when he was sitting on my deck eating a big ol' rack of ribs, but that was prolly more like 12 or 13 summers ago that he first stopped by here. Thanks buddy for taking the time to get together.

But, enough of my ramblings......I just wanted to say a few things that needed saying while I can say ‘em. Y'all take care. I ain't finished yet.....but like I said earlier.....I don't know how much longer I may have.....the docs were pretty elusive on that figure, pretty elusive indeed.

PLEASE keep those prayers and positive vibes coming. Lord knows I need them now more than ever.

Niner
(Bill Conine)

This past fall the Good Lord sent two of the largest deer to me that I have ever seen, much less shot.
I have given Thanks many times for these two gifts from above.....

We'll see y'all on down the trail..........

Big Muddy
02-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Niner, fight like hell, brother....I'm doubling-up my prayers for you and your family.

Buckrub
02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Bill.........you have been my inspiration during some bad times.........for a long time. I am blessed that I got to meet you last year. There are a few here that I really wanted to meet, and still do.........and you were on the top of that list. I probably wasn't good company that day, having a few of my own problems, but meeting you put a lot of that into perspective.

There are good people here. The ones that have helped you have helped me too. I am sure they have helped many folks on here. That's who they are. We argue, but I know in my heart that if I asked, they'd deliver, no questions asked.

This is one strange website. Of that, I am sure. It's morphed, for sure. But some of us do indeed go way back.

For what it's worth, the picture of you hugging that hanging deer is maybe the best picture of anything, anywhere, that I ever saw.

My prayers are not worth what they used to be, but I assure you that they have not stopped for you.......and won't now.

Hang in there. Whatever you need, you just call.

LJ3
02-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Well hell, Bill. That's not an acceptable outcome so you'll just have to keep on keepin' on! I will have my family send all the positive prayer and vibes we can down your way. I'll even pull my mother-in-law in to it. She's a fierce little Hispanic catholic with mad prayer chain skills. So if you start seeing the Virgin de la guadaloupe around your house, it's prolly her doing.

And I'm with Bucky on that buck picture being a great one!

HideHunter
02-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Prayers Bill.. We all thank you.

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Much love, Bill. Much love my firend.

BKB

Captain
02-27-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm at a loss for words and have been for a few days over this.
Bucky is right that deer picture is the best
You also gave us the "Niner" turkey pose.
And from now on the pine stand is Niners stand.
My phones on 24/7 as always.
I'll be sending all the love and prayers I can muster!
Take Care,,Captain.

DeputyDog
02-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Bill, you will be moved up in my prayer list. You battled that beast before and I know you have at least one more battle in you.

Big Skyz
02-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Bill, your trip out here with your wife last summer was the highlight of 2014 for me. I had a very good year in 2014, but when you were here it was by far the best week! I think back on it often, and will take that memory with me to the other side some day. Just last night I was thinking I need to email you for an update, but you took care of that with your post this morning. All I can say is the world would be a much better place if there were more people like you and your wife in it. I'm honored and humbled to call you my friends.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Bill34_zpsaslh3vki.jpg

Sunshine
02-27-2015, 01:23 PM
*Tears rolling down my face, as I post this!*

I just can't accept what your docs are saying!!!!

Please, as you've continue to tell me, continue positive thoughts.
Please don't give up!!! To hell with those docs!!
I'm so chocked up over this news.

More prayers for you and your family.
(((((((((((Hugs))))))))

I like the walking away with your turkey picture the best.

Bwana
02-27-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm at a loss as to what to say Bill. Know that even though you live down south, I've never held it against you because of your connection to North Dakota. ;)

You speak highly of others here but you sir, fall into the same category. Your messages to me when they found that tumor in my son's leg were like a life raft to me at that time and for that I want to again THANK YOU!! Your courage and attitude through this all have been a true inspiration to me.

Keep on fighting and know that there are LOTS of folks in your corner praying for you!

johnboy
02-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Bill, We never met and I feel the loss is mine. I'm not a prayer and have no words to express my thoughts but I do wish all the best for you.

Chicken Dinner
02-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Well, dang. I don't know what to say other than you're a fighter and keep fighting. (That trip last fall will always be one of he highlights of my life.). I also want to say how much of an impression you're fighting spirit impressed Matt. On the way home he mentioned how inspiring he thought your desire to keep hunting inspire of the challenges was to him.

Cards01
02-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Keep up the good fight and the positive attitude.. Sending good vibes from here..

Arty
02-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Bill, I can't put into words how I feel.

Bucky said "this is a strange site".... And that it is.
Even before I met you last November, I'd still have called you a close friend. After actually meeting you, that's even more true.

I told someone earlier that you were a "kindred spirit". Regardless of distance, time, or age, our first conversation (face to face) felt like we were just picking up where we'd left off last time we talked.... But yet we'd never actually ever talked!

Hang in there. And your ass better not roll over and give up! You've got more prayers coming than you ever have, of that I'm sure.

Thumper
02-28-2015, 03:03 AM
Well dang it! I had a "Thump post" going, hit some unknown key by accident and the whole post vanished. (I hate when that happens) I read your post and tried to think about the first time we met in person and was trying to come up with a year. I was driving a 2001 Toyota truck at the time and due to the high mileage I'd stack up in those days, I only kept them 3 years ... so your 12-13 years is probably pretty darn close! I'm just glad to say that wasn't the ONLY time we were able to hook up over the years. And from here on out, anytime (which is often) I go to or pass by The Varsity, I'm gonna be thinkin' about you! The Varsity and Niner are forever connected in my mind now and I'm tellin' you right now ... anytime in the future that I stop ... either we'll have a chili dog together ... or if you're too busy to come into town, you'll still be right there with me in spirit, just like you are anytime I'm sitting at my desk on the computer. I have this little guy hanging from a pole lamp in the corner of my office directly in front of me (I have a "corner desk"). He flutters around as I always have my ceiling fan on and he's hanging right next to my office window so he catches the light. Nobody here will have a clue of his significance, but I know you and Di will recognize him. What I'm trying to say is that you are "with me" everyday and every time I glance up from my computer screen ... I see you and Di! ('Course, you're chomping on a Varsity chili dog!)

4396 4397

You have put up a brave fight and I know you're not a quitter and will continue the fight. I remember going through that same fight myself and two things we have in common is the will to persevere and a strong woman by our side who will not let us give up. Believe me, you haven't climbed your last tree stand, hugged your last deer, caught your last fish, thrown your last turkey over your shoulder or scarfed down your last Varsity dog! AND ... we haven't sat across the table from each other stuffing our pie holes for the last time either. You can take that to the bank!

We all have our own way of praying Bill ... and I have my own special method. ALL my prayers are headed your direction right now. Di has always been your biggest asset and she still is ... I know that between the two of you, you'll do anything and everything possible to beat this thing. I think I can speak for all of us here when I say, "We love ya' man!"

Niner
02-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks y'all. That really means a lot to me right now. I am certainly NOT "throwing in the towel". I'm gonna keep on living one day at a time, and thanking God for each day that he is giving me. It's like I told Di the other day....the only difference between now and three weeks ago is that NOW we know for sure WHY my back has been hurting so much again lately.

Besides the killer sciatica, I'm having trouble with me feets swelling and retaining water. One of the reasons they put me into the hospital out thar was that my feets was blowed up like balloons. They poured the Lasix to me and pulled off TEN POUNDS of water! SOoooo "something" is causing me to hold water like crazy. I keep telling folks its the meanness coming out......LOL.

I'm gonna keep on keeping that Positive Mental Attitude.....I don't know of any other way to be and keep my sanity. Gonna work on my hobbies when I feel up to it...Reloading, Ham Radio, Watching the birdies in the back yard, Shooting Chipmunks....and stuff like that.

I love y'all, and I'm very grateful for our little nitch on the Information Superhighway.

Fido
02-28-2015, 10:24 AM
WE are family here at GH, strong and caring family. My prayers for you have and will never stop! And just remember there are only tooooooo kinds of men in this world, THOSE NAMED BILL AND THE REST THAT WISHED THEY WERE !!!!!

Buckrub
02-28-2015, 11:18 AM
WE are family here at GH, strong and caring family. My prayers for you have and will never stop! And just remember there are only tooooooo kinds of men in this world, THOSE NAMED BILL AND THE REST THAT WISHED THEY WERE !!!!!

Niner and Fido..........two smartest guys here! :) Except, let the record show that me and Niner have "BC" as initials, and Fido has "BS"..........but I don't mean to imply nuthin' 'bout that! :) :)

jb
02-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Bill, I love your attitude, keep it up.

Thumper
02-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Niner, I'm SURE it's a different problem, but I had the problem with swollen feet and ankles also at one point. They changed my B/P meds and the problem went away. They are still swollen to some extent, but nothing compared to before. I actually thought they were going to explode! I'm sure if it were something that simple, the docs would have already handled it.